How much rent should I pay my parent per month?

Fresh out of high school, have to wait a year till college so am spending the year working a part-time, minimum wage job. I want to pay my parent once a month but also save up for a used car and buy my basic necessities.

• $100 a month
  • $50 a month
  • Less per month (comment price)
  • More per month (comment price)

Most Helpful Guy

• Just whatever you are comfortable with right now

Most Helpful Girl

• depends on 1) what you are earning, 2) how much support your parents are giving you, and 3) if you're there alone or with someone else.

to give you an idea... some years ago, i moved home with the guy i was seeing.

1) i worked full-time at $12/hr (this was in 2009) and he worked part time (for minimum wage, which was $8.50/hr in my area);

2) my parents cooked family meals for all of us (my sister, her husband, and their new baby moved in shortly after we arrived);

3) i rode my bike or took the bus to work, so i didn't have to rely on my folks for rides;

4) all incidentals (dinners out, bus fare, cell phone) were paid for out of my own pocket.

taking all of these into account, my parents and i agreed on $400/month (room and board, plus groceries for the 2 of us).

What Guys Said 10

• Depends on how much you are earning right now.

• I've never paid less than 350 dollars for a room in a three bedroom house. normally its closer to 500-600 just for the room.

• The way my parents have it set up is 1 weeks pay, unless I attend and pay for school. But if you are taking the year off, that's what I did, and I know more about what I want to do. Then you should try working full time if you can (30 to 40 hours a week). The money comes in a lot faster.

• Depends on your expenses I just shoot my sis 100$ A month since I don't need much maintenance

• are they asking for rent?

• It's a bit of math to figure it up.

Can't ya ask her how much you should pay?

• Where I live, rooms easily cost $500/mo

• Oh that sucks, bring a child in the world only to use them.

• I never gave my parents a dime :P

If you really wanna, just ask them how much they want.

• 150 sounds fair, imagine if you moved out you'd be paying way more

What Girls Said 4

• look at what rooms rooms are going for on CraigsIist. Considering they're feeding you too you should pay that. At least half of you paycheck. Rent is normally half what you earn to budget.

• My parents made me pay $150 a month after I dropped out of college (dumbest decision I ever made, by the way).

• HAH! I gave up my full paycheck... I had no choice in the matter. Apparently if I lived there I had to give everything I earned and to this day dont have shit -_-

• I'm only working part time currently, at a low paying job. I'm paying my parents $50/week, so $200/month, as well as repayments on my new car (plus rego, insurance and fuel), my phone, gym membership, and going out.
    Definitely doable, just budget well.

• How do you budget like that? I want to but I literally don't know how.

• What I did was start up an Excel spreadsheet, and start calculating my expenses. So work out exactly what your fixed expenses (bills, repayments, etc) come to each week/fortnight/month. Then budget for your variable expenses. For example, I budget $50/week for fuel, $100/month for entertainment, etc. If your expenses exceed your income, reduce the amount you're spending on unnecessary things (entertainment, clothes, etc). Once you've done your budget, stick to it. I used an app called Pocketbook to track my spending. Anything left at the end of each pay period goes into savings.
      I hope that helps!