Should the USA ban guns?

What is your opinion on guns? ( I don't think they should be " banned " )

( by the way i don't think gun's should be banned )

Most Helpful Guy

• I support the right to own guns... to a point. I'm a former Army officer and I don't think anyone outside the military should have weapons like the AR-15, M4, AK-47 or other weapons like them. Those weapons have been designed for one purpose, the quick and efficient killing and maiming of people.

I've heard the argument many many many times. I'm a huge fan of the Constitution (one reason I got my degree in US History). I'm of the firm opinion that the framers intended the 2nd Amendment to be used as a safeguard to keep a federal government from preventing civilians from forming militias. We have standing militias now. I know, I was a part of one of them.

The country we live in now is vastly different from 1789. Our gun laws need to reflect that.

Will regulating the sale and possession of guns prevent all gun crime? Of course not, and no reasonable person is saying it will. Locks only keep honest people honest. But if we can reduce the amount that gun crimes happen, if we can reduce the times when irresponsible and untrained people who guns to disastrous effect, if we can make it just THAT much harder for some lunatic to get his hands on a weapon that can inflict mass casualties... shouldn't we try?

What Guys Said 48

• Yes, they should be banned. I think there could be a compromise that hunters can legally own a gun if they take a test and have an extensive background check and of course law enforcement should (under certain circumstances) also be able to legally carry guns but other than that, I only see disadvantage of gun ownership. It's not really a political issue for me. I know it's a left vs. right thing in America but as a European, I think it's just the only rational thing to do to ban or heavily restrict guns. I understand it's a traditional thing in America and most people are hung up on traditions but we don't live in the 18th century anymore. All the native Americans have been killed already and the Brits have returned home.

• yeah how'd that work out for Europe when Hitler did that?

• the most dangerous muslims (both in the US and Europe) tend to be people who converted to islam. They're usually especially radical because they want to prove themselves. Several attacks or almost-attacks in the US were carried out by home grown terrorists.

As for North Korea and Iran, I can promise you they won't attack. I would bet my life on the fact that they won't attack within our lifetime. Iran just signed a treaty here in Switzerland with America and other countries to let the UN control its nuclear production and not produce uranium for bombs. North Korea would be suicidal to attack the US. It is very unlikely that China would support them in such a war and even if they would, it would mean complete destruction. No dictator wants that.

As for the public shootings: most of them are surprise attacks.
      But let me ask you something different: if you feel worried about intruders in your home, shouldn't the US do something against that kind of phenomenon in the first place?

• All I'm saying is that it's a matter of time. I remember watching a video about a woman visiting a muslim sharia law country. She had another woman nagging and bitching at her as if she was the fashion police saying, your dress is too short, your hair is not coveren enough... etc. Well at any rate, as long as their crazy crap doesn't actually leave their country, we'll be fine. But I doubt it.

• Trust me when I say that will never happen there are simply way to many weapons you'd never be able to get them all especially when both our military and law enforcement have stated on multiple occasions that they will refuse orders to go door to door disarming citizens.

Besides even if you did ban all guns, it wouldn't solve anything at all in fact it would make matters worse, petty crime, robberies, break ins and murder rates would go much higher because criminals would still own and have weapons and legal citizens would not leaving them unarmed and unable to defend themselves, because again what people can't seem to get into their heads is that criminals do not go through legal channels to obtain their stuff and they do not obey the law.

And frankly if both democratic politicians and people against guns would look closely at the shootouts and killing spree's most if not all killing spree's shootouts and gun crimes happen in liberal/democratic states and in gun free zones. Gee why is that hmm lets think for a moment o that's right because there are no guns there if a criminal or unstable person wanted to go in there and start killing people they could do it and do it with ease because no one is carrying a weapon there so they don't have to worry about someone behind them or off to the side pulling out a weapon and fighting back it's easy target practice. Hence why you almost never see gun crimes happen in a area, store or building were they allow citizens to have concealed an carry weapons. Because the criminals do not want to take the chance that someone will fight back and hurt or kill them.

I am 100% against banning weapons by the way I am for gun rights and the 2nd amendment.

Besides if someone wants to kill someone then law or no law they will find a way to do it.

• By the way when you live in a neighborhood like I did when I was a kid that was pretty much my towns version of the hood, were my house got robbed and a lot of stuff stolen and then my neighbors house got robbed in broad daylight. And then after we moved an old man, war veteran actually who lived in that area opened his door when some guy's rang doorbell and stabbed him to death multiple times for no reason except to do it and it happened during the day to.

It's things like that, that make me want to have a little insurance that I can properly protect myself and my family.

• I still look over my back and around my surroundings even now that I live in a nice neighborhood, because I am weary because of things like I mentioned above that happened when I was a kid. It made me realize that there are bad people in this world who will hurt or kill you because they want to rob you, maybe they're high or just because they felt like it. And the only thing that stops a bad guy with a weapon is a better guy with a weapon.

• Never! Those people living in the hood and those near the US-Mexico border are really gonna suffer. Criminals WILL get a hold of guns no matter what and those people I mentioned would be defenseless. We'll all be defenseless. Smh people think the body count is bad NOW, take guns away and it'll just move into poor areas.

• Absolutely not, as an owner of several firearms I support gun ownership 100%. However I will say that a psychological evaluation should be administered before a firearm purchase can be finalized. Most firearm related crimes are committed with illegally acquired firearms anyway. And as far as mass shooting are concerned, better mental health care would solve that problem far quicker than a ban on guns. Banning guns does nothing but take personal protection rights away from law abiding citizens. It doesn't stop crime.

• Not banned, regulated. ie: It's okay for someone to have a shotgun, long gun etc. for hunting and stuff. Pistols should be required great background checks etc. due to their concealable nature, and fucking assault rifles and anything else more dangerous than a revolver should only be available to military personnel, and civilians and police officers with a very very specific, difficult to acquire firearms license.

• No. I am a gun owner who had to purchase one to defend my family against a sexual predator who used to live next door. Twice I had to draw (but not fire) my weapon to prevent him from committing acts of violence against us. My daughter was his molestation victim. And I keep my pistol near my bed in case someone breaks in, which has happened many times in my rural area. Police response times average 10 minutes, even in an emergency situation. I don't have that amount of time to wait to get help. I do, however, support military style assault weapons being banned. The serve no legitimate self defense purpose.

• I hear what you're saying but I don't agree with your assessment of "military style" weapons have no legitimate putpose. That's buying into media propoganda.

No point arguing tho. Just food for thought though... how would you propose to collect them all? Take them away from legitimate law abiding owners and then only the criminals that have illegal ones still have them?

Don't answer. That was rhetorical. No need ever sways another person from their position in these debates I was just trying to provoke thought. ☺

• As my social studies teacher in 10 grade said, the bad guys will always have guns and to GIVE GOOD guys guns to fight bad ones. Also bad guys can't legally guy guns. Ex:Mexico outlawed guns but the drug lords run half of the country because they buy their guns off the black market. Did you really think El Chapo bought his guns from a legal source? Do you really think gang members get their guns from a legal source? answer to last 2 questions at at 0:40 in video.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdKI1wj-JpI

• 1|3
  • To those of you who say yes, I have a question for you.

How many lives are my guns worth to you? 3? 4?

That's 4 bodies you have to bury, 4 funerals to go to, 4 more families without a father or son. If there were a 2nd Civil War between gun owners vs the armed forces and police. The gun owners would out number them by more than 10:1, there is no way you could possibly win that war unless an epic genocide took place, but I digress.

What you people don't get is that this isn't about owning a gun. It's about living freely, without the approval of others. Just because you are irrationally afraid of weapons, doesn't mean everyone has to be a limp wristed faggot like you are. And if it so comes to it, I would rather die on my feet than live on my knees.

• Absolutely not.

• Only ban long range rifles, anything automatic, and semi automatic shotguns. Only handguns, revolvers and two barreled shotguns allowed. And even then, no handguns with more than 10 bullets in them.

• That's exactly what i think should happen too. I think it's weird for some average person to have something that can shoot so many bullets!

• Yeah, I can't see a reason why would someone need a semi automatic rifle for self defense. I mean, those things can kill someone from 200 feet away. Sounds overkill to me.

• No! No! No and NO! It is my constitutional right to be able to own a gun if I so to choose to own one. At this time I am not a gun owners but more and more thinking about it.

• move somewhere else then.

• @Lindsaylove5 why would I want to go anywhere else but the good ol USA I love my country I love the Constitution I love what it stands for

• The constitution was written before scientists knew what germs were... it's extremely out-dated and old fashioned. We've definitely progressed as a society since it was written

• Should they? Yes.
    Can they? No.

There are too many weapons in America already... people aren't just gonna hand their guns over.

If you could somehow make all the guns disappear and magically enforce laws and permits/licences on them that would be the best thing. No more shootings.

Works in the UK. I've never seen a fun fired or even heard of one been fired in recent times.

• But yet last year England's and Wales rape rates increased by 32%.

• Besides... I'd rather have a few rapes than a shooting every other week dude. Just saying.

• i mean i'd be fine with shooting rapists... but that's just me. i hate shitty humans :D. also a shooting every other week with a population of 330 million over the span of 400 square miles (10 million square kilometers) isn't a huge amount. also when you factor in the fact that 80% of homicides are gang related and top 5 (or 10) most dangerous cities produce 60% of gun violence, the gun killings per capita when you take those into account are just as low as the majority of countries that don't ban guns. i don't wanna turn this into a debate cause i'm way too lazy. i'm just putting this information out there.

• No they should not be banned because of the 2nd amendment.

• Absolutely not. This is such a ridiculous debate. This country was founded on freedom. When the bill of rights was written, the founding fathers first wrote the reason they came to this country. Freedom of speech, religion, the press and a peaceful assembly. They then wrote how to protect it, the right to keep and bear arms. And it's the only one with "shall not be infringed" written into it. Politicians need to quite looking at symptom of the problem and start concentrating on the problem itself. Is it any coincidence that gun attacks happen in gun free zones? Criminals by definition break the law, so writing new gun laws only effects the law abiding citizen. You ban them completely, gun crime goes down. Sure, it does. Every other type of violent crime goes up. Has happened everywhere they've banned guns, because no one can protect themselves.

• I think there should be something like a drivers licence for guns. You learn how to handle it, how to take care of it, etc. and the gun should be registered when buying.

Of course someone clearly mentally instable shouldn't get a gun licence to begin with, but other than that I do not think they should be banned at all.

• no could i say hell no. its protected by the 2nd amendment to the constitution. the 2nd protects the other amendments
    every dictator in history has taken these from there people. please read the bill of rights here
    www.ratical.org/co-globalize/BillOfRights.html

• Instead of hiding the 2nd Amendment behind a link: here it is:

"A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

It is not clear to me from reading this, that it refers to an individual's right to own guns.

• @mlts70 thank you for adding that

• Who's going to ban them? Guns can't be banned. Banning them would probably start a civil war.

-Banning guns equals a evil government/president who wants to take over.

• They say that's the biggest reason nobody ever landed on our shore in the world wars... they knew they'd have to fight every *single* city, block by block... Plus guns are already here, and giving badguys impunity for the 200 years it would take to sift them all away from the badguys is kindof a big damned problem...

• Nope. In the act of an invasion from a foreign country, even though that might not ever happen in my lifetime or ever. If our military fails, our backup are the civilians who will stand their ground for their land and the U. S.

• No, guns are useful protection against wild animals , especially in rural places.
    Secondly banning guns will do nothing. It's illegal to smoke weed or do heroin. However , people still manage to get there hands on these drugs.

• no

filler

• No. But thorough background checks should be enforced.

• I dont think they should be banned but Im in favor of stricter background checks.

• Lol the republicans would freak out
    literally

• If we banned guns then only criminals would have guns. Is kind of a redundant idea.
    And the only way to enforce this rule is with... well you guessed it. Guns!

• No. Criminals will still get guns no matter what. Of course restricting guns lowers gun crimes, but it does not significantly lower violent crimes. If people are violent, they will attack people no matter what. I do think there should be background check to make it harder for criminals to get guns, but don't take rights away from those who abide by the law. The 2nd Amendment is a right not a privilege, but if you harm someone else you give up that right

• Yes. Will the country sort their s--- out and do it? Of course not. IIRC I think I read somewhere that Americans have what they say is a ''constitutional right to bear arms'' or something to that effect.

Americans will be Americans /shrug. I am just glad I will never go there for a holiday.

• i always love this. whenever you don't agree something, it's dumb americans... because you're always right :/

• @Other_Tommy_Wiseau Sorry. TL;DR. You mad? Ok that is no problem. I will just mute this.

• lol, i'd probably back down like a bitch when i don't have anything intelligent to say too. don't worry, dude. i got you. take this l

pbs.twimg.com/.../Mhce2tPk.jpg

• No ban, it violates the Constitution. I enjoy my guns. I also know that I have extra protection with them. I have a Concealed Carry License and carry when I have concerns.

Guns actually save a lot of lives as they are used in self defense and that often goes overlooked.

• This is pretty much a worthless question, because the US will never ban guns. Maybe someday assault weapons might be banned, but it would stop there.

• How can you ban assault weapons as nothing is one until used to assault someone?

• No gun is manufactured under the classification "assault weapon." That is term used when any weapon is used to assault any person. Logic.

• So again, how do you ban something that doesn't exist until it's being used as the term it's given?

• More from Guys
    18

What Girls Said 15

• I do Not Own a gun, Do Not care to use One, however, it is Everyone's given Constitutional Right to own One as long as They can Pass a background test which okay, we all know how that can go and flow many times lately.
    This is No time in throwing in the towel Involving Guns. With Everything that we Know and it is only going to get Worse, It's a Doggie Eat Doggie World now.
    Good luck and Good Question, @quioaflakes xx

• I believe they should. Realistically, u dont need one. It's only because it's a part of your culture that u believe u do.
    The urge to downvote this is real i know.

• Yeah tell that to the old man who was a war veteran who was stabbed to death on my block for just answering his door bunch of punks stabbed him to death for no reason or the numerous people I know who's houses have been robbed in broad daylight including my own old house, it's more then just culture.

• @Phoenix98 like i said, not everyone will agree and I'm okay with that.

• I'd like much stronger gun control but not necessarily a ban altogether. Certain guns are just meant for killing as many people as quickly as possible and those shouldn't be buyable for the public. Hunting rifles is a different story, I have no problem with that. Handguns should be much harder to buy, but still an option for someone who feels the need to buy it.

• No. Period. We have the right to our guns. We need them for protection. If guns become illegals, it only stops the people who obey the law and not the criminals.

I've grown up around guns. My late grandpa and my uncle used to hunt together all the time, then Grandpa died from cancer and now my uncle takes his sons out with him and my brother wants to join them.

My sister's boyfriend also owns a gun, though he has it tightly locked up when not being used. He even let me shoot before in the field at an old cooler. It was fun. And not a single person was ever hurt.

Guns aren't just for used for protection or for hurting people. It's the person behind the gun who makes the results and most of us are responsible with them and shouldn't be punished for what another person does.

• nope I like guns!

• Maybe not ban, as guns are part of the image of Americans and banning guns would never be accepted by most of US civilians, but it definitely needs much more regulation and control.
    If you compare the USA to their neighbors in the North, you can see a clear difference though Canada still allows ownership of guns. They just have more regulations.

• yes, eventhough I'm not an American, but I heard a lot news about gun shooting cases in school in America. Definitely I would suggesting it should be banned for safety reason, as the other countries (mostly I believe) the gun is banned and really hard to obtain or keep it even for safety reasons

• They definitely should. Innocent are getting killed

• is this a rhetorical question or just one that's meant to make people choose sides and bitch at each other?

If the USA were to ban guns, we would align ourselves with Nazi Germany in the 1930's. How'd that go?

• Apart from the fact that as a European, I find it a little distasteful to make light-hearted analogies to Nazi Germany, I also have to correct you on a historical level. The claim that the Nazis banned or restricted laws is actually bogus and spread as a lie by Fox News etc. to make people angry and say pretty much something like you said above. The truth is that the Weimarer Republik actually had more restrictive gun laws than Nazi Germany did. Also, it is true that Hitler signed a gun law in 1938 - however, this law actually made gun possession easier for almost everyone. This is a fact and you can read it up. Shotguns and other, high calibre guns were legalized and the age of legal firearm ownership was lowered from 20 to 18. The Nazis were very much pro-gun. Also, anyone who thinks about the argument for more than half a second realizes that Jews couldn't have stopped the holocaust even if they had had more guns. They weren't fighting a party, they were fighting a whole people.

• You guys are more selective about what you CHOOSE to point out from history than you accuse any Americans of doing. But neither of you Eruro-libs is going to change your minds?

What the fuck is the point of any further back and forth?

"Nazi Germany ___ whole nation of racists" - NO - they didn't fucking start that way. So you're saying WW2 was all because white Germans were racist? And that none of those other countries that the Nazis annexed or invaded could have done anything to change that?

LOL. Fuck. OK.

Glad you weren't on our side in 1776 or 1812.

• LOL I just read that again. Where the fuck did I EVER say ANYTHING about fucking Switzerland? LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

• No. The 2nd amendment is there. End of story.

• Nope, guns are a good thing to have

• You can't ban guns when the NRA basically run America lol

• No, thank you. I love my 2nd amendment.

• Yes, they should. Less guns=lower crime rates. It' just a fact.

• Actually that's false, look at places like Mexico where guns are completely illegal and yet has one of the highest firearms homicide rates in the world. Or look at Europe, where gun laws are heavily restricted yet violent crime rates are just as high if not higher than in the US. Firearm homicideS are obviously fewer, but crime isn't any less. People juat use different methods.

• Ban them all and take away the 2nd amendment ASAP

• i lay my downvote here

• Just a thought... does the 2nd amendment ban ammunition?

• @hazoplmeught good choice!