I self harm does that make me weak?

0|0
4|11

Most Helpful Guy

• i don't think it's a reflection on your strength or weakness.

self harming typically is a sign of underlying depression. i wouldn't say someone with depression is weak. rather you self harm to implement an amount of control in your life where you feel you lack it.

0|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• Usually when people try to harm themselves it means they have been too strong on their own for far too long, so they need extra support and encouragement from a Professional. They have underlying issues which are too much of a burden for them to carry on their own.

Everyone has a breaking point for how much they can handle, that doesn't make them weak... it shows that they are only a human with emotions. Sometimes the strongest people are those who are "fighting battles" no one else knows about :)

0|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 10

• It generally means that you don't know how to properly deal with negative emotions.

1|1
    0|0
  • No, it does not make you weak. It does, however, mean that you are having serious pain in your life that you cannot resolve on your own, assuming that expressing yourself in some other way (music, poetry, some other art) hasn't helped.

0|0
    0|0
  • Kind of, since you're giving in to your emotional pain and trying surpass it by physical pain. There are other ways to channel emotional pain other than harming yourself without being weak.

0|1
    0|0
  • So sorry that you feel you have to hurt yourself. Sounds like you don't have much for support. Don't let the negative influences that you may be experiencing dictate how your life should be.

0|0
    0|0
  • No it doesn't. Try something else to relieve your stress

1|1
    0|0
  • yes.

0|0
    0|0
  • It could be evidence of you being mentally unstable, which isn't your fault.
    It's just something you need to get help with.

0|0
    0|0
  • No it doesn't. Not at all.
    You do need to learn how to better handle your negative emotions but that's all.

I hope you start to feel better.

0|0
    0|0
  • It means you've adopted a bad stress-management habit. Its addictive, but unfortunately makes you more stressed, nto less, overall.

0|0
    0|0
    • I'll maybe add a general note that doesn't specifically relate to self harm, but from a general sense fits.

When people are trying to replace bad behaviors with good ones, reliance on willpower is a 'negative' predictor of success. That is, the more people focus on willpower, the less likely they are to succeed. Success generally comes from trying to minimize how much willpower is needed.

That applies to you. Thinking you're weak and need to be strong is not the right approach.

Instead think you're normal, you feel stress like everyone does, you've built a habit to handle it that helps you short run but makes it worse long run. THen think about what habits and skills you can develop to replace the bad habits with good ones, and what changes you can implement to make it EASIEST for you to change and HARDEST for you to keep up the old ones.

• No, i did it.

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 3

• That makes you in need of help for what's making you do it.

0|0
    0|0
  • Nope doesn't mean you are weak. I self harmed and I was not weak.
    Try your best to stop, you will be much happier without it. Also the nasty scars it leaves are not nice

0|0
    0|0
  • No not at all

0|0
    0|0