Are you happy with your country's government?

Most Helpful Girl

• No, @Showtime7 But 'Happy' though a New President this year, dear, to be Elected, Not Selected.
    Good luck. xx

Most Helpful Guy

• Yes, generally I'm very happy. My country Switzerland is the only country in the world that doesn't have just one head of state (president, prime minister etc.) but instead a so-called "federal council" with 7 people. They are all from different parties, from the very left to the very right. Together they lead the country and they do so by making compromises and trying to take the best part of every side's opinion. This also means that contrary to most other nations where one party usually leads the country for a certain number of years, we are always governed by a multitude of different parties that are trying their best to work together and find solutions that everyone can agree to (also on a legislative-level). And because we're also the only country in the world that has direct democracy on all levels (national, regional and local), we the people get to actively influence our country's politics and make decisions. There are two different forms of this: the initiative and the referendum. The initiative is a law or change of the constitution that anyone can propose (individual citizens or groups of people or political parties or NGOs etc.). If this person or persons can collect a certain amount of signatures in a certain amount of time, the whole population gets to vote on it. The referendum on the other hand can be used if somebody is not happy with the government's decision on something. If the government has made a new law (changes of the constitution always must be voted on by the whole country), a person or party can collect signatures as well. If successful, the whole population votes on it and if at least 50% say no to the new law, the government has to take it back and find another way.
    Without trying to be overtly patriotic, I believe this system is one of the best political systems in the world to keep checks and balances and I also believe that direct democracy in particular gives us a lot of freedom (more than in all the representative democracies). And finally, one great side effect of direct democracy is that people generally tend to be better informed and more interested in domestic political affairs than in representative democracies (at least in my experience).

What Girls Said 2

• I'm in the UK and no, I wouldn't say I am.

• Yes, the voters, not so much.

What Guys Said 8

• I voted for the new govt. in India and I can actually say I am happy. It's not like the govt has been helping us progress in leaps and bounds but it is doing a lot as compared to the previous govt. which had been in power since our independence (1947)

• is anyone truly ever happy with their government?

other than Leslie Knope

• i can't say that i'm happy with them. i think there should be term limits on all elected people of government. it would help stop corruption. an example of this 4 of Illinois' last 7 governors went to prison.

• The president and the minsters are good people I met them but the people under them are corrupt so it's not in the government it's more in the people

• Previous one was good but this new one that just came few days ago is shit and we are fucked :S

• Living in Brazil, I have to say I'm most definitely NOT happy with the government. :(

• not really

• Not happy , most of our people hate the government