What is the most painful experience of your life?

Most Helpful Guy

• I have always been a straight A student, I used to be the first student in the school (meaning the one who gets the highest grades), and I have always wanted to study medicine. Unfortunately in the last year of high school (grade 12) I didn't get the grades that I always used to get because at that time I suffered from extreme OCD (obsessive compulsive disorder), I started feeling that when I was 14, but it reached it's peak between the age of 16 and 18. I couldn't really stay at school, in grade 12 I left school after one month and stayed at home, I couldn't read my textbooks at all, I just really couldn't, the head teacher of my school used to write down that I come for school (even though I didn't), the reason he did that is because if you miss a lot of days in my school, you wouldn't be allowed to do the final exam, he was good enough to do that. And I just literally didn't study anything the whole year and started studying one day before the exams! no one believed that I would pass, because there are people who study for hours everyday through out the year and they fail at the end. Luckily, I was able to pass the exams but I got only 77.3% as a total grade. In order to study medicine in my country or any other country that I could study in, you would have to get at least 98%. So I said, well I will repeat the year again and try to get higher grades, no body advised me to do that, everyone was suggesting that I study anything and that's all, but I couldn't imagine myself studying anything but medicine, so I repeated the year, but of course I couldn't be in school because they didn't allow me to because I have already passed the year. So I stayed at home and decided that I will study alone. But unfortunately same thing happened again, I went into depression and I had a lot of panic attacks and nervous breakdowns! I had anger management issues and that led me unfortunately to the worse thing that happened to me ever which is me being diagnosed with diabetes, at that moment, I really lost hope in myself (temporarily), and I repeated the exams again and got only 81%. So 1 year was wasted without any progress. At that time I was really disappointed and said "you know what I just really don't want to study anything). I really couldn't imagine myself studying anything else but what I have always wanted to study. I wanted to leave my country and study medicine some were else but there was no affordable option for me. And I come from a relatively poor family...

• So I ended up wasting another year without doing anything!

But I got really tried and bored for not doing anything so I started reading about Germany and how the education is good and free here and how one can work during college and gain enough money to cover the main expenses without the need of my family sending me anything. So those were the factor why I decided to come here to Germany. I'm now leading the language and I will get into university this winter semester! I will study Mechanical engineering. I honestly don't know if I will ever get over the fact that I wasn't able to study medicine. Lol this is very personal and it's definitely not easy for me to share, but since it was you who asked I thought it would be OK to say this.

• Thanks for MHO! :)

• welcome! :)

Most Helpful Girl

• Last year was not my best, actually it was my worst...
    I had depression, failed Medical Studies competition exam, twice (2 years lost) so my dream of becoming a doctor was shattered, and the night of the result my best-friend died this past June..

• I am very sorry to hear all of that. Depression can be so debilitating. I hope this year is better for you 💗

• you are very welcome xx

• yeah but now they I told my dad to just pay for 2 classes until I figure it out in the summer. I hope I made the right choice!

What Guys Said 18

• I don't really have any emotionally painful experiences to tell (at least they weren't exceptionally painful). I mean, when my first girlfriend broke up with me that was really, really terrible but then again... I guess everyone goes through that (like Cat Stevens already sang "The first cut is the deepest").

But I do have two physical experiences that were incredibly painful.
    The first one happened when I was maybe ten or so. My dad loves to cook and he's very good at it. So one Sunday evening he's cooking dinner for the whole family and he's frying something in the pan. I was standing at the sink and washing my hands. My dad finished frying the food, put it on a plate and - strangely enough - wanted poor the hot oil (it wasn't fat, it was really oil) into the sink. I have no idea why he wanted to do that, it's a stupid idea anyway. He could have just wiped it with some kitchen paper or left the pan to cool down. Anyway... so the problem is that my dad is blind on his right eye and I am almost completely blind on both eyes (the two things are not related, it's just a weird coincidence. My visual disability is due to a genetic mutation before I was born but my dad had eye cancer when I was a baby). So basically we couldn't see each other. And because he didn't know I was standing there and I didn't sense that he was turning around, we both didn't go out of each other's way. Instead he poured all the burning hot oil right over my arm. It hurt really, really badly. Of course I was screaming and crying and putting it under the cold water and my dad couldn't stop apologizing. He felt so terrible for the rest of the evening. I had to wear a bandaid for a couple of weeks and put on a special cream. I had blisters all over my arm, from my thumb all the way up to my elbow. But luckily I was a child and so my skin healed it really well. You can still see the scars a bit but not so well.

The second experience was even worse. It was by far the most painful physical experience I've ever had. Because I am almost blind since birth, I've had to go through many surgeries during my childhood and early teens. When I was 12, I had another of those surgeries. This time, the surgeons didn't go through the eyelid like most times but they basically but open the middle of the eye (through the cornea). This part was okay because I was of course in this full narcosis and so I didn't know what was going on. However, when they were done with the surgery, they sewed the open wound

• on my eye back together and stitched it. And about 4 weeks after the surgery, it was time to take out these stitches. Luckily, I only had to go through this one time so far because it's so incredibly painful it's hard to put it into words. I had to sit on this examination seat and one doctor held up my eyelid with a small tool while another doctor used a small tweezers to literally pull/tear the thin threads out of my eye. It hurt so much that I passed out. They had to take a break and put me on a bed so I could come back to normal again. Then we continued. About 10 minutes into the procedure, the pain was so bad that I became dizzy and nauseous again. I had to get up and puked into the sink. Luckily, after that it was only one more thread and then I was done. The doctor who was doing it felt really bad and he kept saying "I'm so sorry but we really have to do it. We can't just leave them in there". Afterwards, I felt so exhausted from the pain as though I had just finished a marathon.

• When I was 13 I was abducted, held for 3 days and raped repeatedly. I don't have much that tops that.

• Willingly got in? Why?

• @KawaiiPie67 2 girls a little older then me (one was about 16 the other 18) and no one ever told me not to get into a car with strange WOMEN (my mother was a 70's feminist who stressed that MEN are dangerous), they offered me a ride with a hint of "fun" and I was out after curfew and getting picked up by the police was a very real threat. Also I was heading to a concert and had a ways to go until I got there. And I was stupid.

• Not necessarily painful psychically but mentally it was, canoeing and gulping in water when i capsized in rough waters, i was literally pulled under and being trapped helpless, horrible experience :/

• There are and have been so many since I'm older, mostly emotional than physical but more damaging to me. Right now going through a divorce, wife left for another guy , took the kids to live with her there and I'm losing the house while paying half my salary to child support and she was the one cheating , fathers always get a raw deal

• I agree! fathers do get a raw deal. I am very sorry! :(

• Yeah, emotional pain can leave scars which never heal. I hope you find happiness and peace one day

• cutting my own hand.

• My close friend being murdered

• My father's last few years - His struggle with dementia.

• aww i am very sorry ! Dementia is such an awful "disease" . My grandmother had dementia. It was like grieving twice, because i lost part of her due to her Dementia, then again after she died.

• Very true.

• Can't remember... I block out most of the painful experiences. I was inappropriately touched once when I was 12 or 13, but yeah I don't think it scarred me or anything. I have had busted my head twice or thrice but all of the things are part of growing up. I like being an adult though, much more than a child.

• Witnessing my uncle's death after he burned alive in a car accident.

• Oh wow! that is horrific! I am so sorry! I guess that image will never leave you. :(

• Yeah it's tough, but I guess these things happen sooner or later. Thank you for your kind words. :)

• my first hip surgery to repair a torn labium. i wasn't taking enough pain meds and the nerve block had warn off and i sat on the toilet. i rolled on to the floor crying

• When I was 5 my father bought a bike for me as a birthday present but the brakes had some issues , I remember it was afternoon and my brakes didn't worked so a truck hitted me and I broke my both legs

• I once had a bad reaction to a medicine. It caused my pain receptors to stay activated for a while. That was pretty grueling.

• Waisted so many month with ma LDR as I was pretty happy before getting her. I waisted ma all movement what I am before her and what she gave me frustratation in ma life. As it keep going on I still think what she had done to me as I never want to be trap like this a big pain of ma life

• I almost drowned.

• December 27th 2013, my uncle passed away in my living room of a sudden heart attack, I've never been the same. Worst pain ever.

• I'm very sorry to hear that 😞

• I think everyone will go through it once at least. The hardest part was that he was 43. He had at least another 20 to 50 years of living to do.

• Should allow anon...

Most painful was when the person I loved, trusted and cherished the most betrayed me.

• yeah sorry, i should have allowed anon , Thanks!

Betrayal is extremely painful

• Loosing my brother at the age of 25

• i stepped on legos. those corner pieces doe :|

What Girls Said 11

• I have many but one that hurt a lot was when my friend (who I deeply trusted) ended up telling me she's being seeing the guy I liked behind my back and that they are getting married.

I went to their wedding.

• When I broke my arm I was wearing a jacket and the nurse was trying to get my jacket off, I literally was screaming.

• Cross-country... i was the last to finish the race ): It was hard to admit to myself that I was not the fastest and that I am slow. Someday I won't be last. I can't wait!

• awww I am not a fast runner either

• @OrangeBoy I hope i can! <3 Everytime I run! I still have watery eyes! I wished so much my legs wouldn't give up on me! I wish I had another body cuz my heart is so in the race.

• You finished that's better than I would have ever been able to do.50 yard I give up and this is why the make cars
      Yes I'm lazy and I know it 😁

• I was running at home on the treadmill back in 5th grade and I got distracted by watching tv at the same time and I lost my footing and got slammed against the wall and was lodged between the wall and the treadmill belt. I couldn't get out and my sister and to come run downstairs to shut it off.
    The whole front of my legs were burnt.

• all of my family's drama. it's caused me so much emotional/mental pain.

in terms of physical pain, probably when i had a crazy reaction to codeine and i thought i was going to die.

• I was bit by a possibly rabid dog a few years back on my knee and he tore some of the skin off and I had to get the rabies shots and holy shit was that painful!

• Probably when I tried to superman jump over a fence and my foot got caught and I face planted into the ground. It smashed my glasses lense

• Eating rice with NO MEAT😢😢😢

• Hahahaha one

• domestic violence

• Self harming 😭

• aww i am sorry, I hope you have support from people who love you xx

• At last you have some support. :) if you never need a listening ear, I am a good listener :)

• As thanks:) xx