I don't want to sound arrogant but am I just genetically gifted?

I am very good at math and playing the piano but I barely practice. My friends are always studying for their math test and I just quickly glance over my textbook before the test but still get higher marks. I feel like I have a higher IQ than most people. I am not hardworking so are some people just inherently more intelligent?

Most Helpful Guy

• no. you aren't. you are just naturally good at processing certain information. if you are "genetically gifted", that suggests that your genes are passed down through your family. there are biological reasonings and genetics as to how your brain functions, but it doesn't make you genetically gifted. i'm the same way, while at the same time, my mom can barely add 10+10

• but yes, some people are inherently more intelligent than others, depending how you define it. i'm the same way as you and never studied for tests and i could get a's and stuff (i got 100% on an accounting test by literally making everything up because it looked hard). but i'm also deficient in other areas. i'm not great at English. i'm not terrible, but as you can probably tell (minus the fact i don't use caps), it's not exactly mark twain writing this.

• Please bend over so I can kiss your ass QA, You are genetically gifted, a supernova casting an unprecedented measure of luminance among mental dwarfs.

• i mean he can admit what he want's but that's wrong. that's also why he's a physicist and not a psychologist as well. it's the same way with anything. you absorb and retain information a lot faster the younger you are, hence why the older you get, the harder it is to learn a language. your interests, skills and development determine more how good you are at something than just your brain. i mean you can think we are having a debate and believe what you want, but i'm telling you. if you might want to pick up a few books or watch a few docs on the science and/or discovery channel. there have been studies.

Most Helpful Girl

• Some people may have more in their left or right brain than others. If you play piano the more likely you are to understand math a little better. Than there's some of us like myself that are dual brained so there's that. You can have a higher IQ but you won't know till you test your IQ.

• I'm dual brained and a master at piano but I suck at math what u talkin about

• I'm not that strong in certain strictly math. I have dyscalculia. So math is harder than not for me. I'm really strong in language, reading, writing and the arts I can also play piano by ear a little bit. It doesn't mean everyone that plays a string instrument will be great at math it's just some studies show that some people have a higher correlation of strong math skills and playing a string instrument. I guess partly bc classical music has math and science components to it.

What Guys Said 10

• I don't know you could be!

• 0|1
  • That's amazing. I think you are gifted. I'm pretty smart too. We should have babies so they grow up to be geniuses and take over the world.

• Lots of people have that, but then the consequences come when they get older and they haven't done revision in the past and suddenly have to to get by. That's what happened to me.

• If you have to ask then I question everything you say.

• Basic tasks is not a sign of intelligence rather logic and problem solving. Trivia is more memory based! Piano wise can mean you are smart. Just sounds like talents which everyone has in something!

• dont jinx yourself

• I would say it just comes easy to you.

• You actually believe in IQ? You're not intellectually gifted I know that.

• Are you rich?

• How is that relevant to my question?

• I do but thanks for your concern.

• You don't know...

There's too many people doing that and not enough demand...

Who is going to employ you?

What Girls Said 11

• Your cognitive abilities must include being able to make synaptic connections very efficiently. Moreso than others for now, so I suppose that's a bit of a talent in itself.
    Genetically gifted? That's a bit of a stretch.

... whether you intended it or not, you do sound arrogant, though.

• I consider it genetic. Both of my parents have PhD in astrophysics.

• Iq is still very genetic. My dad and my older brother are mensa members by the way.

• hm. ok then. I'm curious why you're asking a question if you already seem to know the answer. 👌

• There is a genetic basis to be better at certain skills like math, singing, athletics, etc. But the majority of the population can get very good at those things with training. And with personal training/better schools/etc, someone without a natural disposition at say math could be much better at math than someone who was naturally gifted at mathematics but didn't cultivate that.

You might be gifted with genetics that benefit you in school.

But I certainly wouldn't go around proclaiming your genetic blessings and expect to have friends much longer.

• Someone said something about mensa, but that opinion is blocked.

Lol mensa...

Do they pay membership fees for mensa, too? There's a sucker born every minute, I tells ya. #yougotgot #youvebeenhad

• Yes. A person's future potential to learn and understand concepts is certainly an inherited trait. Whether or not it is properly cultivated (good job on your parent's/guardian's behalf) is an entirely different situation.

• Well you sound arrogant. And no some people really are more capable in some areas without having to put in as much work whilst others may struggle.

• work it! It's a gift :)

• I would have assumed your autistic

• Yeah, you are.

• It doesn't sound arrogant to me. If it's fact, it's a fact. Just don't overestimate yourself, you know? But if you really do have a gift, it sounds like you'll have a good future! Just work hard because if you're smart, that means nothing without hard work. 😊

• yes, some people are inherently more intelligent, and this can depend on different factors-environment, genetics, physical ability, willpower, etc. but "feeling" like you have a higher IQ than most people doesn't make you intelligent. Some people may be emotionally smarter than you, or smarter in some areas that you are not. Just because one part of your brain can compute better than other areas doesn't make you more intelligent, it just makes you smarter in that area.

• Getting transferred to high school Ap physics class when I was in grade 6 does make me more intelligent but not superior

• Think of it this way, she's saying that even if you may be inherently book smart (skipping grades) doesn't mean you are as intelligent in other areas of life and thinking. I once knew a girl in my high school who got a 35 on her ACT (max 36) and complained about it... she could recite formulas and textbooks by heart but was the most brainwashed, naive, coddled little girl when it came to common sense and emotions.

Don't take it personally. I'm not saying that you are a person that lacks common sense. But there are surely other areas of thought or activities in which others might excel, and you don't.

• I don't know about your IQ but you are more talented in math and playing piano than some people I suppose. Your friends might be more takented in other things.