Do you think its fair or unfair for guys to always buy Valentines day gifts?

Tradition has it it is the guy that buys the present and pay for the date even if during normal days the bill is split.

• fair because of tradition
  • unfair but play along
  • its 2016 and that is BS

Most Helpful Girl

• Um we never do this it is either both of us getting something for the other or neither. I don't really like gifts on Valentine's. It too close to Christmas and my birthday is only a few months before Christmas so it is just too much I think.

I also believe in reciprocity. I cook a lot of times of Valentine's because I'm a great cook. It costs as much or more as it would have to go out to dinner but he does things for me in return. ☺️

Most Helpful Guy

• It's a bit outdated.
    That's why they have a really cool and different tradition in South Korea, where my girlfriend comes from and where I've lived for a while. In Korea, there are two holidays: valentines day and white day. On valentines day, girlfriends buy their boyfriends a gift and maybe invite them for dinner or so. On white day (which is one month later), boyfriends basically return the favor by buying a gift and maybe inviting their girlfriends for dinner. This way, each partner of a relationship has his/her day to be pampered and it's fair and equal.
    Or of course you can just do it like in my country Switzerland (and other European countries) where valentines day is not known and we don't celebrate it at all.

What Girls Said 8

• In japan valentine day girls give things to the guys. On white day boys return the favor. That what we need to do.

• I'd pay for a gift for my significant other and split the bill no matter the holiday.

• I don't know where you come from, but where I live both partners buy each other gifts for Valentine's Day.

If you hate it so much, don't celebrate it. Problem solved. End to the whining.

• Yeah I have guy friends that break up with women after Halloween every year so they can avoid the 3 month present obligation.

• @sjoes006 how incredibly childish of them!

• vote d: Valentine's day is nonsense.

• It's unfair, the guy doesn't have to do everything for the girl. He brings me a bouquet of flowers for St. Valentine and I give him a box of delicious chocolate in return. At a restaurant he pays for his menu and I pay for mine. Fair game.

• Fair
    Filler

• Honestly. Both my boyfriend and I both buy gifts... I thought the girl is supposed to buy something too. Just out of fairness, you must be looking at the wrong girl cause all my friend buy gifts for their man too.

• I thought couples buy each other presents on v-day? At least that's how I think it is where I live, where v-day isn't really that big of a deal anyway. Maybe it's just like that in backwards, over the top traditional 'Murica...

What Guys Said 2

• But of course it's unfair. I can't even fathom how it could be fair...

• You're responsible for the dynamic in your relationship. If you are spending and putting more into it than she is the simple answer is stop.

But most of the men I date fail to notice the costs women out into the relationship. He may pay more if we go out mainly for appearances with friends but I cook several times a week. And it isn't like I'd be cooking like this if I was single. And I stock the fridge with the fancy beer he drinks and the meals aren't cheap.

I don't argue about this with men. If they get resentful about obey for any reason they usually have to go. I make sure I pull my weight and do pay for dinners out as well. I actually don't really like it when men spend money on me for anything until we are really comfortable with each other so usually I end up shelling out more in short relationships so I feel your frustration.

My deal is if I make considerably more than the guy I end up spending more but only when it is my pick.

• If it's his pick and he suggests things I go with the most affordable option or even free options. These are just as fun and I know dating is expensive. I don't want a guy I'm only going to date for three months who makes very little spending too much money. When I started out after college I made a very modest income and still remember what I would have considered expensive back then.

But if a guy makes as much or more than me and we've been dating for five months or more and he never splurges a little on anything like I do... I do tend to see it as a problem. It is either selfishness or he isn't that interested in the relationship. I think it is fair for you to feel that way about women.

Say you go all out on C Day then when your birthday comes in April she gets you a lame as gift and doesn't really put any effort into making it special. It isn't about the price of the gift but the effort. I get concerned if a partner blows off my birthday it isn't a good sign.

• As tradition, you go get your crush a Valentine's day gift. No one should be loveless 😃