Should we lie to people when they ask how do they look?

I mean lying is wrong gut being this honest sometimes defined as rudeness so should we tell the truth or lie

• Truth
  • Lie

Most Helpful Girl

Most Helpful Guy

• To me it depends. One time my sister asked the classical question if the pants she was wearing made her butt look big, to which I responded, "The pants are innocent."

Mostly I think it's better to lie if you can't provide really constructive criticism, like with an artistic eye, e. g., and even then it's good to try to be as positive as possible.

I also think it's worth dodging questions about appearance for something which the person can't possibly change.

People just tend to be paranoid about their looks, especially women, but sometimes men as well. You can kind of cause them trauma and get them to become obsessed with something if you don't give very positive feedback. Mostly I say avoid the truth or sugarcoat it a lot for things people cannot change about themselves, otherwise you might give them a complex.

What Girls Said 8

• I try to be as honest as possible while still being tactful. It's usually not necessary to be rude or to give them a flat-out lie. There's usually a compromise that can be struck.

• I say the truth but sometimes it's hard to say. Especially when others are telling them they look great.

• Saying the truth is the best option but it can be said gracefully without hurting someone.

• I dont. I tell you as it is.

• Truth but not in a rude way.
    You have to be considerate of others' feelings.

I usually suggest something else they would look better in, talk in a nice tone.

And it's important to watch your face expression/body language.

• Tell the truth with a bit of euphemism.

• Tell the truth but in a subtle way as not to offend them.

• I tell the truth. I only lie when there are too many people saying that person is ugly.

What Guys Said 7

• You should never lie, that's why I very rarely answer those questions from ugly people. I don't wanna hurt their feelings, but I don't wanna lie, so I rather just not comment.

• Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
    That which one person finds beautiful or admirable may not appeal to another.

By all means you can express your honest opinion, just know that's your opinion. Someone else may not necessarily share it.

• Certainly not? When these pimply-faced little mongoloids around here post pictures of their bloated, lard-filled heads perched upon their waif-like bodies, I tell them to go home and not to return until they resemble humans.

• It's one of the rare times that I believe in lying. Nobody wants to hear they're ugly, nobody. Ignorance is bliss. Hell I'd love to be lied to once in a while, like how girls get rated lol.

• You can also not say anything at all :)

• Haven't seen a single person tell the truth in a "rate me" thread on this site, seriously.

• If someone is ugly you have to tell them