Do you believe in global warming?

I definitely do and there is so much evidence to prove it! What about you guys? Do you think it's real or a "myth"?

Most Helpful Guy

• i definitely believe in global warming. i mean the water levels aren't just rising becuase it rains more... 2015 wasn't the hottest year globally just by chance

Most Helpful Girl

• I believe it's real.

What Guys Said 30

• I believe in gravity. I believe that the planets move around the sun. And I believe in global warming. All of them have been how to exist. Not sure how gravity works. I have seen some explanations that require an knowledge of quantum physics to understand. And that carried out further is behind how the planets revolve around the sun. And in the same way, global warming exists, though we may not understand all the mechanisms behind it. Even most of the scientists who earlier disputed that it existed have turned around and stated that it does exist.

So what is there to not believe?

• Yes I do agree as well as you and others do.. but in the big picture our thoughts mean nothing, it seems to me all that has ever mattered was how the greedy governments could rake in the millions and millions of dollars.. that have been generated by using mostly fossil fuels..(oil).. they should have had a plan put together 10 to 20 years ago as they knew back then what harm oil was doing to this planet.

But they chose not to because nothing could fill their fat wallets faster then the profits they could make from oil.. in my view they will not stop taking what oil is left in the ground,, till every last drop is gone.. then there will be a war as one side will say to the other you took the last drop.. we should have gotten it. I realize they cannot just stop oil production overnight.. but to let this go on for another 20 plus years before it is phased out.. is just stupid to me.. can this planet take any more abuse then it has already.. well that I do not know.. but I do have my doubt's.

More natural gas, soler energy, electric cars, and other things could have been used a long time ago.. to not hurt this planet as much as it has been.. but if governments will not change.. what is the point of me you or anyone one else worrying about it.. it is them that hold all the cards.. this was a long post.. so sorry it was.. but I wanted to very much get my point across to others at least,, as the governments just do not care about anything but being filthy rich.. we sure do not count.. the planet does not either in their minds.. thank you have a nice day

• There's cycles in everything.

Not too long ago we have what they called the little ice age.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Ice_Age

People claim that places like Greenland is melting away. It's interesting that Greenland was actually warmer during the 1930-40 than now.

Here's also a talk to give a more balanced view on the matter
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCy_UOjEir0

• That man is neither a geologist or an expert on Earth science. He's just a guy studying weather patterns. There's a big difference between patterns in how Earth gets hotter and colder and the evidence geologists use to support global warming.

• There is also a big difference between global warming caused by humans and global warming caused by earths natural cycles. The debate is not weather not earth is currently in a warming phase. It's about what is causing it.

• That's like asking if we believe in radio waves. The fact that the question even exists is more a matter of politics, economics or social attitudes than science.

• It's not so much that I "believe" in global warming as it is that I accept the FACT of global warming. If the planet weren't warming, sea levels would not be rising. They're rising because of some simple physical facts: Warming ocean water expands and occupies a larger volume, and the ice melt from the great ice sheets on land (like on Greenland) is pouring massive amounts of water into the sea.

• Global warming isn't something you "believe" in xD it's something you DENY. If you deny that global warming is happening you're denying something HORRIBLE that will influence our history. If I may make a comparison, people still deny the Holocaust happened.

• no.

the simple truth is not only has the "global warming" basically stopped since 2005 or so, but it only affects certain areas.

basically, cities. you can look at average temperatures for cities within a hundred miles or so and the one that has had growth shows warming, the other does not.

basically--the earth is not heating, just some cities. cars, buildings, concrete, infrastructure--it raises the temperature of the area very slightly.

• According to the NOAA's National Centers For Environmental Information, "Contrary to much recent discussion, the latest corrected analysis shows that the rate of global warming has continued, and there has been no slowdown." (June of 2015) So your "facts" are nothing more than "myths".

• I think it exists but I don't believe it is entirely man made. I think the planet goes through cycles of warming up and cooling down but we might be causing it to happens faster than it otherwise would have.

• It's not a matter of belief or who in the general public "believes" in it because global warming is a proved science. If the public wanted to vote whether they believe 2+2=4 it wouldn't matter how many didn't believe because it won't change the fact that 2+2 still equals 4.

Global warming is happening, 97% of the world's geologists agree on it and that's the end of the discussion.

It is also misleading to tell people that there is any sort of debate going on in the scientific community over whether global warming exists or not because there is 0 debate.

• Well I think scientists prefer to use the term climate change. But yes I believe it is real and it is getting warmer. It is a fact that the world has been rapidly heating up for the past 100 years or so, extreme weather events are much more common (I witnessed an extreme weather event in my area on 5th december) , and it is almost certain that we are behind the accelerated warming. By that last part I mean I understand the world may be warming naturally in this time period, but we have advanced the rate at which it is doing so astronomically.

• Is global warming real? Yes.
    Is it caused by us? Maybe in part.
    Are the consequences as bad as they say they will be? Hard to say.

• Many people understand different things when "global warming" is being thrown around. Are there peaks and falls in global temperatures - yes. Are they man made - nope. Otherwise NASA wouldn't need to fudge the data and force us to buy needlessly expensive "green" tech. All you need to do is google "global temperatures over the last 10000 years".

• Do you mean from sites like skeptics. com? According to the World Data Center for Paleoclimatology, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration when they looked at ice cap c02 levels for the past 800k years this is the result

cdiac.ornl.gov/images/air_bubbles_historical.jpg

We were in a natural warming trend but after the 1850s (industrial revolution) this is the data

cdiac.ornl.gov/images/three_gases_historical.jpg

That kind of change isn't natural minus a multiple volcanoes which we know hasn't happened.

• @cavmanier It is absolutely pointless to limit the data to only past the 1850s. The first several graphs clearly indicate that the levels are NOT nearly as catastrophic as some would have us believe. It is normal that the levels of carbon dioxide are higher now than 200 years ago. However it is obvious once the time frame is extended that the levels are clearly part of a cycle. Therefore to blame us for something that has been occuring fairly regularly over a large period of time is pointless.

• I don't think you understood the graphs. The top graph is a macro epoch perspective from 800,000 years ago to 1850 (pre industrial revolution). I'll be very obvious here and say during that humans didn't produce C02 through burning fossil fuel.

You are right that C02 levels fluctuate. I pointed that out with the top graph. The bottom graph shows the last 2,000 years. If you look at the left side from 0 AD to 1850 the c02 levels are fairly flat. To the right of 1850 the levels increased significantly. Maybe this shorter time period graph will show that more clearly.
      http://cdiac.ornl.gov/images/atmospheric_co2.jpg

Right when the industrial revolution started C02 emissions and C02 in the atmosphere dramatically increased in a consistent positive trend. That has never happened before with that degree of consistency in a short period of time.

Also if you look at the last 800,000 which we have access to see, the highest C02 level was 298.6 ppm. Since the industrial rev. we are at about 390 ppm and increasing by 2 ppm/year.

• Yes I think it's true. I took meteorology in college and it was in the curriculum. There wasn't an agenda in the class. The science of increased radiant energy due to C02 is a scientific phenomenon.

• I believe it exists but I don't think we know enough about the mechanisms causing it.

• Scientists do know plenty, the general public doesn't know enough in the same sense they don't know enough about the mechanisms of distant planets. Yet we accept it when scientists tell us Saturn's rings are made up of many large rocks.

• What's he ever done for me?

• Yes, we're f'king up our planet

• Climate change exists. There have been 10 "ice ages" over the last million or so years. We are nearing the end of an interglacial and, historically, weather and climate fluctuations accompany these intersections. There are numerous causes of climate fluctuations including solar and volcanic activity. CO2 is is a factor but there have been hugely higher levels over history accompanued by far more lush flora and fauna. Where CO2 level are rising, forget the speculation about deserts and famines and think more lush rainforests and higher crop yields. The "Global Warming" craze is mostly humanist religion with Man as the evil god.

• It's not something people are supposed to believe or not believe, it's a fact! It's not even open for a debate, it's real.

• i think it is real i just don't think humanity is the cause

• I believe in climate change but not global warming.

• Of course its not a myth

• An inconvenient truth got me paranoid, so I would have to say... Hell yes

• Hahahah absolutely lyssa, it is not a cartoon network show, it is the most important issue humanity is faced with. Actually we in our school are doing programs to help environment save its purity, to pland more and more trees, how not to harm it.

• Jesus Christ NO! it's just scamming lie invented by al gore and used by liberals as an excuse to take your money. even though there not ever pretending to do anything about.

• Yeah i think it's real

• It needs a nuclear war to change weather what it was at past.

• I don't believe in global warming.

• Yes and sexy girls are responsible for it ;)

• If you mean the global temperature is rising, we really only have a good record for the past 30 years or so, since special satellites have been in place to monitor global temperature. In that time is has gone up about half a degree but we don't really know why or if or to what extent it's part of a normal cycle. The climate has changed through time, that's obvious from the geological and fossil record.

As to the idea humans are bringing on a cataclysmic change in global temperature, it's been a few years since I looked into the science deeply. At that time it seemed to me a lot of it was conjecture with very little evidence to back it up.

What's really amazing is how people can get sold on ideas like this and stop considering them in a rational and disinterested way. Not just ordinary people but scientists and politicians. You can see how religions and other manias get started. Human beings are creatures of emotion, our critical and rational faculties rest on a seething bed of feelings and for nearly all of us the feelings are really pulling the strings.

• Of course. The earth goes through many cycles and some man cannot survive unless we live beneath the surface of the earth for certain time periods. Do people contribute to it? Most likely but we do not know of course to what extent.

What Girls Said 9

• The news media (and especially the American news media) like to frame climate change as a "debate" because it creates controversy, which in turn, increases their ratings because people have to tune in. Roughly 99.7% of the scientific community believe that climate change is a reality. Of the 0.03% that do not, virtually all of them have ties to the oil industry.

• It's a controversial topic. I don't know what to believe. There are scientists who believe in global warming and scientists who don't.
    www.conserve-energy-future.com/...warming-real.php

• Since there is a wide range of evidence for it, it's not so much of a belief for me anymore - it's fact.

• Real... obviously

• Global warming IS real. However, the controversy isn't necessarily whether or not it exists, but whether or not our planet is warming more than what it should be

• Not anymore

• Duh!

• Ughh. No

• Yes, the weather is weirder now. In Europe was snow for a month and this year was only a few days, and is very warm. It's like spring.