Which came first? Toothbrush or toothpaste?

• Toothbrush
  • toothpaste

Most Helpful Girl

• Toothbrush of course.

Most Helpful Guy

• The toothbrush was created much earlier. Humans in the neolithic times (around 10,000 year B. C.) built simple forms of toothbrushes by tying a bunch of thick animal hair at a wooden stick. Once the technique became more elaborate, people started to braid the hair (or similar materials) into little holes they first chipped into the wood. As a means to "wash" your teeth and actually get the dirt out there, people used to use the ashes from burnt wood. Another option was to use sand. And finally, you can also clean your teeth by rubbing salt against them. Though this is rather unlikely since salt was incredibly precious back then.
    The modern tooth paste came much, much later. There were some experiments in the Antique times and especially in the late medieval times but our modern fluorine-based tooth pastes are an invention of pharmacists in the second half of the 19th century.

What Girls Said 5

• The first toothbrush was invented by Hymie Gronk on May 23, 11,257 BC. He quickly patented it and began distributing it for sale in caves known as drugstores. He lost his entire fortune after a divorce.
    Toothpaste did not come about until his son poverty-stricken needed a source of income. He mixed together a compound known as Sumshit creating the first toothpaste. He never forgot his humble origins and once a year he returned to say hello to his father

• toothbrush :D

• I believe that toothpaste came first, actually. In the form of "tooth powder."

• I'd assume the toothbrush.

• toothbrush. originally people put chalk on them to brush their teeth

What Guys Said 9

• I think rotten teeth came first, then I'm guessing the toothbrush and some sort of paste came at close to the same time.

• According to the Colgate site, Egyptians began using toothpaste around 5000 BC. This was said to be prior to toothbrushes.

• But at one point, weren't ashes used as 'toothpaste'?

• I don't know about the ashes thing. It may have been an Egyptian ingredient, but I didn't look into it far enough.

• Historically I think it was toothpaste but then wouldn't you need something to scrub it in? maybe not a brush but something with the same function?

• people cleaned their teeth with sticks at first and later they added certain leaves to the process. so there you hve it. toothbrush was first.

• I think I saw this on the History channel once. The toothbrush came first, long before what we know now as toothpaste. Commercial toothpaste hasn't really been around for that long, around 100 years or so.

• muslimvillage.com/.../miswak.jpg
    Do you even Miswak tho?

I'm assuming the toothbrush!

• i would guess the brush, then something to put on it

• The chicken... no the egg... no wait...

• Which came first pussybrush or pussypaste?

• Toothbrush probably, can't use toothpaste without it. Also brushes require less scientific knowledge to create