Do you agree that when someone resorts to personal insults, they've lost the argument?

When talking about ideas, getting personal is getting desperate. I avoid getting personal like the plague.

• yes
  • No

Most Helpful Girl

• Definitely, this shit happens to me all the time. They can't prove that I'm wrong so they just resort to belittling me and calling me an immature little girl, it's unoriginal, irrelevant and their very poor attempt at deflecting the argument. Lol.

Most Helpful Guy

• Yes, I absolutely agree. And I also think that in most cases, it is girls who eventually resort to name calling (at least here on GaG). I've made many experiences like that. They claim that they're just fed up with you and the argument but I think that's a pretty lame excuse. Many girls on this website just have a serious problem with their fiery mentality. They can't handle disagreements and get impatient way to easily.

• Yes that is true they name call and then block and then complain when they are dismissed as a silly little girl.

What Girls Said 5

• "Don't raise your voice. Improve your argument". :-)

• Yes. It takes a certain level of humility to abide by rules of discourse and not run over people.

• In my case, I do it because I'm fed up not because I can't prove my point.

• If they resort to name calling and hurling insults, they are either trying to shake you up so you fail in the argument, or they don't have anything else to say and lash out. I've noticed that.

• you're right. Sometimes it's a matter of shaking the other person to throw them off. I've been guilty of that a few times, although the arguments were valid.

• Not necessarily. It may also mean that they're getting frustrated with the person they're arguing with. Have you ever argued with someone who keeps ignoring your questions and keeps repeating the same arguments that you already debunked? Some may resort to insults when they see that the argument is going nowhere.

But, if someone resorts to personal insults and doesn't present new arguments of their own or doesn't debunk the other person's arguments, then you could say they're afraid to admit defeat. But only, and only, if the other person doesn't keep repeating the same arguments.

• Arguing with an insane person could warrant an insult. Doesn't make the argument right, but I can see that.

• Yeah

What Guys Said 13

• Yep. At that point you shall politely call them out on the bullshit, prove them indisputably wrong with facts, and leave.

DO NOT argue with them. You can't argue with idiots. They'll jus drag you down to their level, then beat you thanks to experience.

• And then they pussy out and act like the victim when you come back with your own killer jokes! Hell yeah.. straight coward shit

• Yes, which is about 100% of the time with liberals once they start resorting to the imaginary phobias, misogyny/sexism/racism, etc.

• Any personal insults during a logical conversation amount being called a "poopy head". When you can't prove your point with logic and facts, you lost.

• The logical answer is yes they did lose BUT they really didn't because if your in a group then the group will be like ooooohhhh OOOO buuurrnnn he got youuuu so in everyones eyes except for yours the other guy wins

• Yes girls do this a lot find and then block, it is because they have lost the argument and won't admit it.

• That or they just have poor logic.

• Often but not always.

• That's not true you dirty rotten scoundrel!

• Not necessarily. Why do people always have to response to some questions which are entirely nonsense? Actually sometimes personal insults are the best way to push those stupid f**kers away.

• Generally yes, douchenozzle.

• What if it's argument about how your face looks like their butt?

• sometimes I insult the moment the argument starts
    instead of pulling out facts