Is there anyone on GAG who is not celebrating Valentine's Day in a relationship yet still likes the holiday?

As many know, my wife passed almost five years ago. Sometimes certain days remind me that death has done us part, Valentine's Day among them, and yet I still like Valentine's Day.

I celebrated MANY Valentine's Days alone. Even in my loneliest, I don't recall every hating Valentine's Day, nor thinking that it was merely a Hallmark holiday. I liked it when I was alone, and I liked it when I was married, and I like it still, in spite of the heartache, now that she's gone. Am I the only one?

Most Helpful Girl

• I've always loved Valentines Day, even when I was single.
    I love love and seeing others in love.

Most Helpful Guy

• We never celebrate it.

• When you say "we", do you mean you and your wife, or the people of your country?

• My wife and me: it's too close to her b'day.

What Girls Said 3

• ME! :D i love it :)

• Me too, though my students give me WAY more candy than my doctor thinks I should have.

• by the way, my deepest condolences about your wife. i should have mentioned that at the start i apologise. i seriously respect your outlook a lot. #goals

• Thank you. That's very kind of you.

• I really dislike made up Hallmark holidays that say we have to act a certain way, or give cards to show we care, or make us feel bad for not being a part of said holiday. That goes for Valentine's, Mother's Day, Father's Day, etc. Mother's Day makes us feel bad to not have a mother or not be a mother while Valentine's makes single people hate being alone, etc.

I am in a relationship but won't do much on this day.

• Couldn't a similar argument more or less be made about EVERY holiday though, including birthdays?

• Single, and Loveeeee Valentine's day,
    But I don't think that should be the only day to show mutual love and appreciation, I think that should be done every day, small gestures count sooo much.
    And I'm sooooo glad you didn't stop seeing the great parts of life. Those things are the ones that make us feel even more alive

What Guys Said 3

• My girlfriend and me don't celebrate Valentine's day because it's not really a big thing in either of the countries we come from. In her country it's sort of celebrated but in my country it's practically unknown. However, I don't hate the holiday. I don't have anything against it. I think the idea behind it is sweet. It's just not really a tradition here. Maybe one criticism that I would give towards celebrating Valentine's day is that love shouldn't be celebrated on one specific day. Love can and should be celebrated every day of the year. It's like we new year's resolutions. New resolutions may not just be taken up on new year's even, they can be taken up on any day during the year. In fact, what matters is not how radical your new year's resolution is, what matters is whether you're actually gonna stick to something you've decided to change. It's like that with Valentine's day too. I don't need one specific day to shower my girl with love and romantic cheesiness. I can show my love on every day during the year, thus making Valentine's day essentially useless. But other than that, I don't have anything against the holiday.

• Rather than being obligated to buy each other gifts and be mushy and romantic, we simply just doing something fun and laid back together. This year we're going to eat tacos then go watch Deadpool.

• As are my friends. They are married, but they always celebrate Valentine's Day with pizza, beer, and a movie.

• i guess so, but i ain't 1 of them.

• Do you actively dislike the holiday?

• depends who i'm with and where i live. but for the standard, probably just take her out to dinner and if it's a warm area, like florida or california, i'd take her out on a picnic.