Do English names got meanings?

Like Richard , Aaron , etc. Do the names written in English got meanings or they are just names?

0|1
7|18

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes and a huge majority of "English" names stem from other languages. My name means gift from God. It's the female version of the angel Gabriel from the old and new testiment. The angel said to have dictated the Quran and one of the 7 archangels in Hebrew tradition. How's that for meaning? ☺

2|1
    0|0

What Girls Said 6

• I'm pretty sure every name has some kind of meaning. Richard is actually a Name with German origins, it means, "powerful leader." And Aaron has Hebrew origins and means, "high mountain".

3|2
    0|0
  • Yes, I think a lot of names have meaning.

"Richard:
    Means "brave power", derived from the Germanic elements ric "power, rule" and hard "brave, hardy".

0|1
    0|0
  • Lol yeah, though mine's got a french origin

0|1
    0|0
  • They have meanings but I think a few doesn't. Not sure but yeah.

0|1
    0|0
  • Um, yeah.

Would say so.

:\

0|0
    0|0
  • Look them up

0|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 18

• According to here: http://www.behindthename.com/name/richard

Richard means "brave power", derived from the Germanic elements ric "power, rule" and hard "brave, hardy". The Normans introduced this name to Britain, and it has been very common there since that time. It was borne by three kings of England including Richard I the Lionheart, leader of the Third Crusade in the 12th century. Famous bearers include two German opera composers, Richard Wagner (1813-1883) and Richard Strauss (1864-1949), as well as British explorer Sir Richard Burton (1821-1890) and American musician Little Richard (1932-).

and Aaron means:

From the Hebrew name אַהֲרֹן ('Aharon) which is most likely of unknown Egyptian origin. Other theories claim a Hebrew derivation, and suggest meanings such as "high mountain" or "exalted". In the Old Testament this name is borne by the older brother of Moses and the first high priest of the Israelites. He acted as a spokesman for his brother, and carried a miraculous rod. As an English name, Aaron has been in use since the Protestant Reformation.

1|1
    0|0
    • Aharon yess it's an ancient egyptian name didn't notice 😂

• Yep, they do. Many popular American names (John, Paul, Peter, Mary, Aaron) actually come from biblical origins, but many others come from Germanic settings and what not.
    http://www.behindthename.com/

For mine (Randall), it comes from the name Randolf, which has Germanic orgins:
    From the Germanic elements rand meaning "rim (of a shield)" and wulf meaning "wolf". The Normans brought this name to England, where there existed already an Old Norse cognate Randúlfr, which had been introduced by Scandinavian settlers. Randolf became rare after the Middle Ages, though it was revived in the 18th century (usually in the spelling Randolph).

0|1
    0|0
  • The majority of English names have meanings, but nowadays very few people actually choose names because of the meaning, they're just chosen because they like the name. Most people won't know what their own name means without Googling it first.

1|1
    0|0
  • Yes, all names have meanings. Most of our native names are related to Old Anglo Saxon words we rarely use anymore. Aaron however is actually an old Hebrew name that we picked up when we were Christianised. Other names like that include John, Matthew, Mark etc. There are also several names which we stole from the Irish and Scots such as Ryan, Kevin, etc.

1|1
    0|0
  • http://www.behindthename.com/

there are literally sites just for this

0|1
    0|0
  • 0|1
    0|0
  • My name is James, which stemmed from the latin lacomus, and has links to lacobus (greek) and Jacob (hebrew).

And its a fairly common English name, about the 7th or 8th I think.

0|1
    0|0
  • All names have meaning. The English language derived from Anglo Saxon with later French influence after the Normans conquered England.

0|1
    0|0
    • A lot of "English" names are also Hebrew... like Aaron, Elizabeth, Mary, Joseph, Rebecca, etc.

• Yeah mines means the rock lol. English is based off roots from Latin and Greek so the etymology is ancient usually

0|1
    0|0
  • Duhh Omar!! 😛😛

0|1
    0|0
  • If I remember right, The name Jessica was made up by Shakespeare and it just caught on. Same applies to more recent examples of made up names like Khaleesi. Not all names have meanings

0|1
    0|0
  • Max means "The Greatest"

0|1
    0|0
  • Mine means anointed.

0|1
    0|0
  • Worst is Dickinson !!

0|1
    0|0
  • All have meanings like Andrew means manly etc etc lol

0|1
    0|0
  • They do, the meanings have just been forgotten by the general population.

Go look them up.

0|0
    0|0
  • Of course yes. Im Gabriel and you can check lot of other names in English translated to other ones.

0|0
    0|0
  • Of course... search in wikipedia if u wanna learn about each name... and Aaron isn't English but Hebrew... basically most popular names (John, Mary, Michael, David, etc) are Hebrew...

0|1
    0|0