Why do only uneducated people believe in God?

Well the vast majority are uneducated. Furthermore, why do people who can barely interpret basic English literature, which is a language they are fluent in, feel that they can preach/interpret the bible, a book that has been translated multiple times? We all know how meaning is lost in translations. It is also extremely hard to understand. Also why do these people only take bits and pieces of the bible to heart but disobey the rest.
Opinions?

I didn't mean all people who believe in God are uneducated. They are just more likely to be.

Most Helpful Guy

• (1.) Many scientists in the past were actually priests or monks. The Big Bang was discovered by a priest. Muslims take science very seriously, and many math & science discoveries were made by Muslims. Many scientists today are also Muslims.
    (2.) In order to become a priest you have to be thoroughly educated and get a whole degree and everything. Preachers in certain denominations of Christianity don't need any education or certification, but priests for the Roman Catholic church need at least a bachelor's degree in theology.
    (3.) Some religions, like Catholicism, know that the Bible cannot be taken word for word, since the us Humans cannot accurately interpret what a omnipotent universal being would mean by his words. Many, many passages in the Bible have dual meaning words or phrases. Some are also quite vague. So how do we know which interpretation is the right one? Well, technically speaking it's up to you, however in Catholicism the Church itself (Pope, Bishops, Priests, Deacons, monks, etc.) are the ones who are to "correctly" interpret the Bible into the word of God. I say correctly in quotations because the Church of all things in this world would have the diviness to accurately interpret the Bible, but again we can't know for sure since we aren't actually speaking to God one on one.
    (4.) There are many smart and educated people who are still religious. Just because you are religious doesn't mean you are uneducated, likewise just because you are not religious doesn't mean you are smart. I've known many smart religious people and many dumb non-religious people.

Most Helpful Girl

• Do you believe in God? Because you don't sound very well educated.

• Well we know you definitely do by your response.

• @Lioness ^ I think that was meant for you

• Thanks for MHO

What Guys Said 22

• Such generalizations never do any party good. This one, i must say, is a major fallacy that has little basis and/or source.
    First, we must understand the current religious demographics. Overall, religion is growing and those who claim to have no religious belief system make up an ever-shrinking population. In addition, this shrinking population of atheists is not made up, as one might believe, of highly educated people. A 2015 survey of Yale students observed that over half (56%) of the incoming freshman class was religious ( i use this term as one that encompasses everyone besides atheists). We must remember that his 56% is just one university out of many others. Thusly, a shrinking demographic of atheists does not represent a shrinking intellectual population, but a decreasing atheist or increasing religious population. The claim that religious people are uneducated can be thusly interpreted as false.

The latest findings of the World Bank show that 108% of the worlds population achieve a primary education and that 75% of the population achieve a secondary level of education. In addition, a Pew Forum from 2010 (the latest source available) found that 83.7% of the worlds population is religious. Comparatively, the gap between the percent of the population that is educated at a secondary level and those who are religious is minimal.

You must understand that religion has little impact and is impacted little by the education one has. It has been stated that of those who are not educated religion is much more common, which has lead to the opinion that education is one of the main determining factors a persons adherence to a religion. Here, we must remember the contexts and abilities of religion that are not possessed by education. Religion has capabilities that allow it to easily traverse thousands of miles and be carried by word of mouth, song, and other methods. Education, although containing some similar properties and abilities, does not move with equal strength. If we view the places were education is weak and religion strong, we will find that education has little relevance and presence in that community to begin with. It matters not the education of an individual, people will believe what they want to believe no matter what the setting or level of education or religious presence or any other factor that may be thought of as one that determines a person or demographics religiosity.

• I almost must question your specificity. Why is it that you pick pick Christians as your example?
      Out of the multitude of religions present n our planet, writers and people in general continually make the mistake of specifying or pointing a finger at a specific religion or demographic.
      Such topics as these require no population to be named for it is not the questioning of a certain group or practice but a questioning of all religion that is taking place here. Your use of the term "bible" could easily have been replaced with any other holy text or sanctified object. So the question of why it would seem logical to specify a demographic arises.
      Overall, specifying such things has no relevance and no place in debates and topics such as these. We should not look to view the earth as made up of groups of people. No, we ought to look at the earth as one population with differing beliefs. such aforementioned divisions of people only ignite flames of hatred and anger in the hearts and minds.

• "108% of the worlds population achieve a primary education"
      Your numbers are a little of there.

• i understand it to the same degree that you do.
      http://data.worldbank.org/topic/education

• 1|0
  • Do they?
    i1028.photobucket.com/.../...343PM_zps20635431.png

The man to the far right was my uncle. He went to graduate school at a time when most Mexican-Americans did not have that option and went on to become a renowned nuclear scientist. Unfortunately he died last year, but he remained faithfully Greek Orthodox throughout his entire life. He was a great source of inspiration for me being the only other Orthodox Christian in the family apart from myself.

In either case, I think that you are allowing culture to influence your opinion too much. It is no secret that here in America, we value brawns over brains and tend to not be very intellectual. This is particularly true with literature and philology, which I know too well as an English major. However, what you observe with American Christianity today is not representative of Christianity as a whole nor of its historical legacy.

Prior to the Reformation and America, the Abrahamic religions were actually the faiths of the most educated people in the world. The Middle East and Mediterranean were the cosmopolitan centers of the world. Most of the Church Fathers like Ss. Basil the Great and Gregory the Theologian were extremely well educated and wealthy. In fact, it was the influx of Greek immigrants from the Byzantine Empire that led to the Renaissance in the West and it was the Roman Catholic Church that kickstarted philosophy in the West what with Thomas Aquinas, the Scholastics, and the University system. The same can be said for the Islamic world which went through its Golden Age and was pretty advanced until relatively recently.

It wasn't until recent times that religion was sort of dumbed down due to our anti-intellectual American culture, the 1978 Chicago Statement which is essentially why Protestants are so literalistic, and the Arab Spring that destroyed the Islamic world.

• No offence but you really need to educate yourself. Some of the greatest minds who have ever lived believed in some sort of God, depending on religion. There are actually studies that show the average athiest has a lower IQ then the average Christian. I agnostic myself, if you are wondering. To be an Atheist to me, is pretty stupid. We barely understand the world and the Universe. Being 100% sure there is nothing after death is plain ignorant. There is just too much we don't know to say that for sure.

• Believers are more likely to uneducated, it is a studied fact.

• So being 100% sure that God exists is stupid also, according to you, because again we don't really know. There isn't any proof.

• This is completely untrue. It's true that the higher level of education someone has the less likely that they do believe in a higher power statistically. That leaves plenty of intelligent people who believe in a deity of some kind.

93% of the scientists of the National Academy of Sciences (one of the most elite scientific organizations in the United States) don't believe in a higher power. The remaining 7% aren't stupid by any means lol

What are you trying to accomplish with that statement? I don't think anything should be off limits to criticism but at least have a point to your actions. You mentioned things in the description that could be debated and discussed in an intellectual manner but the question itself is very much click bait.

• Atheist here.
    Why do I always encounter anti-theists who think just because they don't believe in God that those that do are stupid?

1) If you look up Christian apologists like Dinesh D'Souza you can see there is a reason why people believe in Intelligent Design.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ien2Ah3lEY

This is their way of rationalizing religion. The reasoning behind the belief may be different and possibly incorrect but there still is reasoning behind every belief.

2) Ask yourself why was religion created? It was created to give people structure.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZYD1el_Jfg

• Also most philosophers such as Descartes and Locke believed in God.

• "To be an atheist to me is pretty stupid" . look below.

• That comment must've been removed since when I clicked Ctrl F I couldn't find it on the page except for you writing it.

• If you want to major in bible teaching, many bible schools make Hebrew and Greek language classes required.

It seems you are the only uneducated one here?

• While I agree that scriptural context is immensely important (for all holy books), saying that believers are uneducated is pretty inflammatory. Not sure if you're trying to get a rise out of people, but yeah, good job.

• Why only uneducated, I am sure even educated people believe in God

• Why do atheists act like they're smarter than the rest of the world, when really they're more annoying than vegans.

• Tolkien was a linguistics professor at Oxford. He was a devout traditional Catholic. C. S. Lewis was a Christian. The big bang theory was developed by a Catholic priest who was also a physics professor. The science of genetics was developed by a monk.

Do I need to continue? Have you accomplished a fraction of what those people did?

• So... what have you done with your life?

• Nice backtrack.

• Thanks!!

• I'm not sure about the bible thingy but I'm sure that you are not aware that there's a difference between believing in God and believing/following a religion.

• Because you're wrong? Find me a source for this shit.

• Huh? lol! And how could you know all that? What you say is vague, I mean why do they disobey? Maybe it's you who does.

• The elite rich know that in order to continue this game they've been playing, its in their best interest to have most of the world under a civilized controlled scheme

Its a system built by the elite and it works like a charm...

• aryton senna believed deeply in god. quite educated, and very intelligent guy.

• WHy do they only take bits and pieces to the heart while disobeying the rest?

Because they're not in a cult. Because what works for some, doesn't work for others.

• Hey, if it helps them get through their day in a civil manner --- then it's serving a good purpose. doncha think?

• Nobody follows their religion to the T.

The ones that do are called cults. Scientology would be one of them. W/ a very explicit, meticulously written "code of conduct".

• Because anyone with the intelligence to complete a college degree would know that religion is absolute bullshit lol

• J. R. R. Tolkien (a devout Catholic) was a linguistics professor at Oxford. The big bang theory was developed by a Catholic priest who had a PhD in physics and taught at a university.

• @Anno_Domini Again.. agree to disagree.

• You're more than welcome to believe whatever you want to believe.

• I don't believe in the bible but I believe in god
    Now there was a time when I was agnostic but I read more and educated myself more and I believed in god by the modern science and philosophy and it makes me wonder why some educated people are atheists with respect to everyone's believe of course

• Its the company you keep and who you hang out with, if you hang out with people who can't see beyond their nose then you become one.

• This question insults all the biblical scholars through history who invested their life into researching and deciphering the ancient texts to learn their true meaning. Sure you have idiots like Joel Osteen who just go preaching stuff at face value and never digging deeper. But there are men out there teaching the rightly divided Word of God and digging into the root or what those scriptures really meant.

• There are so many denominations, and each teaches differently, so what is the true word of God? There are so many variations of the word depending onwhois teaching, so again what is the rightly divided word of God.

• It is the verifiable word of God, the one that makes sense and holds water through and through. For instance according to the Bible is makes no sense to worship Mary or teach that Mary was sinless, not does it make sense to pray to the Apostles, but Catholics do it anyways. Catholics shun the Bible and say their own books take authority over it and the Pope's words take authority over it.

You can go ahead and believe that, but if you are trusting in God's Word it clearly says it is infallible and that it is truth, and anyone who adds or twists it shall face punishment. So either the Bible is a lie in which case why even be a Christian, or Catholicism is flawed.

• Another example is the Book of Enoch. It used to be in the Bible and was taken out. Certain denominations believe it is truth others believe it is not truth. But clues to its truth can be found in a) the fact it is quoted in Scripture, and b) Enoch gives an accurate description of certain landmarks and parts of the World that were not discovered by mankind until the 18th century. Therefore we can determine that the Book of Enoch is truth, and everything within is valuable knowledge.

• In reality the less educated a person is the more likely they are to believe in a deity. As long as your beliefs are not attacking my rights and freedoms believe what you want.

• Yes I agree. I actually grew up in a very strict Christian household, but it bothered me that if you question religion/God people get very angry. It is as if you are not allowed to question anything, you just have to follow blindly. I like reading about religions and just wonder why things are how they are. Like why are there so many religions and denominations. Do they really think that only their denomination is the right one? I am agnostic. I am just curious. However I do get upset when religion is shoved down my throat and I made out as a bad person if I don't agree.

• So.. Tolkien (who taught linguistics at Oxford), C. S. Lewis, and the the priest with a PhD in physics who developed the big bang theory were uneducated?

• @Anno_Domini The tendency is less educated, more likely. I never said because someone believes in a divine deity that they are uneducated. The man who invented the MRI machine is a 6,000 year old Earth believer. He is well educated and intelligent.

• Why do so many atletes, musicians and actors believe in god?

• I don't really know. That is what I am trying to figure out. Not all athletes, actors, and musicians are educated. A lot of them only went to high school. Some of them are atheists.

• I now understand what you are really asking and I think it's more of blind loyalty than being uneducated. I believe in god but don't follow any religion.

• I think it is more of a loyalty thing. I mean when you grow up in a religious family or atmosphere, you don't have a choice.

What Girls Said 7

• LOL, girl please. #generalisation511

• With education, the percentage of people who believe in God does decline. But I'm not going to around throwing that in anyone's face because that's rude and a waste of time.

The last part, because people are people. We have cultures that influence and bend even our religions. In the grand scale, we are smart apes, but still apes.

• Eh. I am not sure? Maybe they have to believe in something?

• Yea maybe it makes death less scary. I mean most people are afraid of the unknown. However even believers are afraid of death which is weird. If you believe 100% , wouldn't death and going to heaven be a good thing?

• I guess!

• Who says they are uneducated? Maybe look into what the system is teaching youngsters (brainwashing) Religion and belief right out of them. This is a society issue and not just education or lack of.

• I'll pray for you.

• There's plenty of uneducated people that also disbelieve in God.

• I'm not a fan of religion but many people in the field of science are. They are educated no?