Do you always try to find the cheapest airfare when planning a trip?

So we shop around for safe cars. We care about how good our doctors are. Why do people always seem to go with the el cheapo airfrare? Why do people always think every airline is the same when it comes to safety? Wouldn't you like to fly with airline crews and mechanics that are well paid and happy?

Most Helpful Girl

• Cheapest direct flight from a reputable airline is what I search for.

• What do you consider reputable? How do you determine that?

• I learned after two separate "low cost" airlines delayed take off because the cabin door wouldn't close!

• Probably because their old tired first generation aircraft are twisted from metal fatigue! Just joking... maybe ;)

What Girls Said 5

• Have flown on cheap-ass airlines with zero issues and unless you can prove I'm typing this from hell, I'm very much alive, lol.

I'd probably dish out more cash for a longer flight so it's more comfortable to deal with being stuck on it for many hours. But I don't see the point in splashing out on a 3 hour flight.

Got extra legroom, that's all I need.😎

• oh the odds are still in your favor... kinda... when you fly Ryanair or Easyjet. Myself i will book on British Airways. My life is worth the extra cash.

• Thats cool. Interesting how people do not seem to care... or is it denial? Tthanks for your honest answer though.

• Denial of what?

As long as I'm receiving the service I pay for, I have no complaints. ;)

• Generally speaking the mechanics are employed by the airport and not the company so...

It's also worth noting that air travel has the smallest profit margin of any industry. That's why so many companies (even big ones, like Pan-American) go out of business.

• Some mechanics are employed by the airline... but you are correct more and more some are not. In fact most airlines outsource heavy maintenance to companies that bid on the service in countries like Mexico and in Asia. Usually to the lowest bidder paying much lower wages than western engineers. Standards are maintained by long distance... and airlines have less responsibility if something goes wrong.
      But you are very correct that the pressure on airlines profit wise is huge to keep costs low... because passengers only seem to care about cheap airfare and not other factors like safety and the travel experience. when a company is suffering and close to bankruptcy (like Pan Am was) do you think they are more worries about safety or survival?

• As in, they're making 0.00000001% more than their break even price for a change? Sure thing, toots.

• Google airline profits... interesting stuff.

• THANK YOU FOR REMINDING ME TO BUY MY SPRING BREAK PLANE TICKET. And yes, I do do that. *opens new tab, googles flight info*

• Well when you are smashing through some turbulence in that little metal tube maybe just think about the fact that you bought a service from the lowest bidder... hope your pilot is not overly fatigued from working 3 jobs.

• Yeah i just find it strange no one cares about the safety part of things when we buy an airline ticket. Trust me airlines are cutting things to the bone to save money and offer that cheap airfare. No pillows or legroom or food... maybe less engine maintenance as well. Makes you think.

• fortunately, for me the flight is only a little over an hour. So I can handle the lack of leg room

• Because there are organisations that regulate airline maintainance. A cheaper airline often has the same quality of maintenance, they just use smaller fleets and older aircraft. Doesn't make them unsafe.
    The vast majority of incidents don't occur with smaller, cheaper airlines, because they fly less than bigger airlines.
    As for the staff, well, that can vary within airlines. Some staff love their job, regardless of what airline they work for, and some hate it.

• In a perfect world you are correct. But airlines are not perfect organizations... plus people will always work harder and with a higher standard for a company they are proud of and pays well. You do not want to lose a good job... but a job with a crap company who cares? I would also never trust a government or a regulator to ensure my safety. The minimum standards demanded by the FAA for example can be pretty low. I want to fly with a airline that exceeds those standards.

• This has been most stimulating... but just reread your posts. Noted something you said... family airline... I now get where you are coming from. I am pretty sure we will not see eye to eye on this one then. I come from a strictly line pilot perspective and not a management background at all. With this in mind I totally get why you are defending the industry as you are. I have heard this refrain before from management types.

• No, stop. You keep assuming things, and they're quite wrong. It is my family airline, because a large portion of my family are pilots or crew for the airline. I said before, much of my family is in aviation.
      I'm not defending the industry, really. I'm just saying your premise of some airlines being less safe because they're cheaper is not correct. It started off about maintenance, which is still kept to a safe standard, regardless of the airline, and then turned to pilot fatigue and education, which is still regulated, though less so, given the difficulty that comes from trying to measure fatigue and such.

• Actually i go for the cheapest car, doc, airfare, etc, because im poor...

What Guys Said 3

• In theory, any airline has to comply withIATA and FAA safety guidelines. Thus concerning safety they should be equivalent. Comfort & luxury can vary widely.

www.iata.org/whatwedo/safety/Pages/index.aspx
    http://www.faa.gov/about/safety_efficiency/

• In a perfect world you are correct. In theory. But too often the profit motive will over power the safety motive. Not all airlines are the same. Government regulators are poor maintainers of safety. They are reactive. They tend to react to hazards after people have been killed. The best maintainers of safety are the airlines themselves. Some are better than others. A smart consumer should take that into account when looking for a seat to spring break. You would never buy an unsafe car? Why do we not ask how safe is the airline we are buying a ticket from.

• Interesting stuff... thanks. But the question is why? Is it training? Is it hiring? Is it low time cadet pilots? Is it the stress being a pilot has become? Being a pilot sure is not the job it once was. Most young people are not interested anymore... the return on investment is not worth it. Is flying attracting the best and the brightest like Sully any more?

• As far as i can remember, the pilot had recently gone through a divorce and moreover a frontman of the political party he was rooting for had just been arrested and jailed by the govt.

• not everyone has money to spend like that.

• I do not think it costs much extra for an airline to offer a high quality service. Want a Walmart price? Expect a Walmart experience.

• Maybe you should not fly then. One less trip on some crappy cheap airline and you could afford a doctor? Do your traveling when you can afford it. We all have to make choices.

• what if it's some sort of emergency. What if it's for some other cause other than vacation? You don't know the circumstance in which a person is flying. And some might be able to afford a doctor in place of flying. this is ridiculous why I have to explain this and even dumber that you can't comprehend this. There's a reason in which some of these places are created so enough people need to use them.

• Oh the oustanding tardation of you.. Because airplane safety is regulated by an outside body that reinforces the regulations... know why airlines are rated and blacklisted? Yeah its about safety

• Ha ha ha... thats funny. The FAA is a schizophrenic organization that determines safety by tombstones. I would never trust my life to the FAA. Think ValueJet...