Why straight men get offended when someone calls them gay?

Most Helpful Guy

• Because it it is meant as an insult. Gay is not a term people call each other meant as a compliment. Anything said with the intent of being an insult will be offensive.

Calling a straight man gay, is also a way of reinforcing the idea that men have to act a certain way, or else fail as a "real man" which is very sexist. It is like saying, you fail as a real man so you like dick just like a woman. Guys commonly have their masculinity challenged in various ways like that.

Most Helpful Girl

• Because they aren't gay...

I'd get pissed if someone said I was lesbian

What Guys Said 11

• Because their is a big taboo in many social circles against homosexual men. And as they don't identify with the label, it becomes an insult.

• Because that an insult. Gayness is pretty mocked amongst
    the straight guy community.

• Because you're essentially calling them sexual retards who enjoy taking it up the arse and sucking cock

• It is insinuating they are unmanly, weak, and effeminate, which, right or wrong, are things that are associated with gay men. By some people.

• Throughout all my childhood, the older guys would usually call a feminine or a weak guy "faggot" and would call something that sucked "gay", so I think this is the reason why many straight guys say "that's gay!" to things and most get offended by being called gay.

• Would straight women get offended when someone calls them lesbian?

• Being perceived as gay is disgusting. I wouldn't want people to think I'm one of those.

• The person saying it is saying they can kick your ass.

• it's a insult to the way we look and act

• makes us feel emasculated

• women are naturally gay, so they gay shame all the time

What Girls Said 1

• Because they are insecure.

A man that is confident in himself and his sexuality doesn't get butthurt over something that doesn't apply to him. He would simply correct the person and move on. And if it was said in jest, they'd just make another joke about it.

The types that get all offended equate homosexuality with feminity and think being feminine is highly insulting to them.

I take great pleasure in calling the "no homo" types gay just to watch them have a defensive hissy fit, then point out there was no need to PMS so much over it. Boy, does it rustle their jimmies. : D

https://youtu.be/6xxiK6Z4eXs

• So you insult a man, and when he is offended, you suggest he has failed as a man by suggesting he suffers from PMS just like a woman. This is a great example of how women commonly reinforce the idea that a man has to act emotionless and accept whatever insults are thrown our way, or else that we fail as men.

• @heavensgift2girls

Why is being gay insulting?