Do you believe in Evolution?

Yesterday in one of my Anthroplogy classes I learned that 1 in every 5 people in the US does not believe in Evolution. I was so shocked by this. Sooooo... do you guys believe in evolution? I definitely do!

Most Helpful Guy

• I feel like it would be ignorant for me to say "there is no such thing as evolution." I mean, it all makes sense. Do I believe humans evolved from monkeys? Ehh, maybe not, but it is quite debatable nonetheless.

Considering the basic life goal of a species is to essentially reproduce and thrive, we (and other animals as well) have adapted to surviving the best we can.

There is tons of proof to support evolution at this point.

• Well, Evolution doesn't state that humans evolved from monkeys, but that humans and monkeys shared an ancestor. Common mistake.

Most Helpful Girl

• Of course I believe in evolution. People don't understand what 100 million years is. Their concept of time is so limited that the understanding of evolution is beyond them

What Guys Said 38

• Belief is not appropriate in this context.

I accept the validity of the evidence and theories presented by those who argue on the behalf of evolution.

At the same, I believe in the existence of God, and God's role as creator.

I don't find conflict between these two positions.

I strongly suspect that a significant portion of those who reject evolution out of hand have been presented with the information about evolution in such a way as to see an unavoidable conflict. They have been told that belief in God and acceptance of evolution are mutually exclusive. Then, not wanting to reject their faith, they discard evolution.

I first encountered this character of the conflict when I was in the 2nd grade. A classmate of mine asked if I "believed in evolution". When I said yes, he then asserted "So, you don't believe in God then."

Ironically, the Vatican has since that time (under the papacy of John Paul II) declared that in accordance with core doctrines of the Catholic faith, there is no essential conflict between cosmology/evolution and the role of God as creator.

Since my classmate professed to be Catholic, I wonder if he has revisited his views on this matter in the last 40 years. The leaders of his religious faith have given him space to do so.

• there is a conflict evolution says women came first than it was man
      the bible says man than women

someone is wrong and I think its evolution plus evolution has been going on for thousands of years so I'm not surprised people believe it, I just think there being fooled

• @Humping_Tornadoes

Thanks, I've been thinking about it for 4 decades. That's plenty of time to organize my thoughts on the subject.

• No prob. Oh, and I'm taking notes definitely 👍

• 2|2
  • I don't look at evolution as something I believe in. Rather I look at evolution as a fact that I accept. Like gravity.

• Any person with half a brain would accept evolution. The theory is not perfect.. agreed. But there's no way some dude in the sky made us. If he DID, there wouldn't have been so many religions in the first place.

• that's stupid what does one have to do with the other there's no correlation

• well lets be realistic
      people hate GOD so they hate the word too
      now the people that believe will tell there kids there's a GOD
      the people that don't believe won't even mention it too there kids
      so how are there not gonna be people that never heard of GOD
      but most of the world has heard the story of some GOD don't care what name you give it
      but they've heard of a GOD, even in tribes there is a GOD

• @skeptic007 It des not make any sense.

• "Believe" makes me think of religious faith. I think it's more like what the science of mankind have concluded so far.

• No, absolutely not :)
    Evolution is easily destroyed by DNA. I don't know why they still want to teach this stuff.

• no evolution
    its stupid and has no actually proof

there was a reptile
    one lived in a cold area another lived in a warm area but the same kind
    one laid eggs the other gave birth natural
    so what do you think came out of the egg and the one that gave birth
    the same reptile nothing changed

but they call it evolution
    I can go through a number of these which are just stupid
    its a religion they put on the kids too get them away from GOD

• The only proof you have of god is the bible, i believe spiderman exists because i have proof in Spiderman Issue number 46 : it is written that he exists

• ooops, misread your comment, I'm not saying that because it breathes air that it will necessarily come back to land, but its ancestors lived there
      <a target="_blank" class="media-link" href="http://www. amnh. org/var/ezflow_site/storage/images/media/amnh/images/exhibitions/current-exhibitions/whales-special-exhibitions-phcollections. tepapa. govt. nz/.../... l. Buell. Carl. jpgun. com/2009-07-02/119244653. jpg
      https://ferrebeekeeper. files. wordpress. com/2014/03/06-14-p-02-g-01-klausmeyerrodhocetus-full_1. jpg
      http://collections. tepapa. govt. nz/db_images/Artist%E2%80%99s. impression. of. i. Dorudon. atrox. i. by. Carl. Buell, reproduced. courtesy. of. Carl. Buell. Buell. Carl. jpg? irn=65202&width=640&height=640

• Shit links didn't work, but we've found the land living ancestors of whales
      Pakicetus->ambulocetus->rhodocetus->durodon
      10. They've already been found by submersibles
      11. I've seen rocks with all sorts of shapes that look like all sorts of things
      12. Except there was no flood, there's no evidence for it.

• Well it makes more sense than the other alternative...

• whats the alternative

• @Indigocloud well there is more evidence to support the theory than that "some dud wrote it down in a book 2000 years ago so apparently it must be true without question" as creationism goes...

• @FrenchyRomain I never said what side I was on so don't start calling me creationist. Assuming, cause that's what smart scientists do right? I like to explore all sides that's all. I didn't ask you to simply tell me there is evidence. I asked where are you getting it from

• There's enough proof for evolution to accept it. It's not a belief.

• With the discovery and understanding of DNA that furthered support evolution... Yes, it's pretty much checkmate.

• 1|0
  • Considering its such a complex process to figure out from start to finish... the knowledge we have so far is enough to believe so.

• I don't 'believe' in evolution. I accept it as fact. Because it is. It's ridiculous to see people thinking that the theory of evolution is somehow unfounded lol. Not trying to be obnoxious, but I just can't wrap my head around that.

• Nope, I believe in God. Not trying to preach, do whatever you want to believe.

• Yes , no , maybe so 😛

• Of course I do lyssa, evolution is still happening today, it is happening every second.
    Our mind is more sharp than our ancestors.
    The thing is creature adopt themselves according to the requirement and nature, the quest to survive made them this way. I am so blessed to be born in this time where I can learn so much and can be enlightened if possible.

• I accept it as a fact, yes.

• I personally do not.

• I have a serious problem with any and all religions, i am an atheist and raised a scientist so FUCK YEAH i believe !

• Yes, the proves are out there.

• yes.

• yup, I do

• Yes. Those that say they do not are ignorant non-free thinkers.

• Hell yeah.

• Yup, evolution makes perfect sense to me.

• Yes, because I have a brain.

• I am truly worried about the state of USA's education...

• Sure. I dnt necessarily think I came from a monkey but maybe anything is possible

• I started making some blog posts about it.
    adquidorator.wordpress.com/.../

• I believe in it

• More from Guys
    8

What Girls Said 11

• Belief is not really the right word. I accept the theory and all of it's evidence. It makes a lot of sense. People may argue that it's impossible for life to evolve from nothing but it didn't evolve from nothing. We are just a ton of complex chemical bonds that includes our DNA and RNA which makes life possible. There is plenty of evidence that suggests life started near oceanic vents some 3.9 billion years ago through the combination of different chemicals. We also have more than enough fossil evidence to show how life became more and more complex and how all species seem to have branched off from the evolution of the first single-celled organisms that developed on Earth.

To suggest that such a theory is invalid is quite unintelligent.

• yes I do!

• Even though it isn't 100% sure how it was and is based mostly on assumptions, it's still more logical than the biblical creation or any other story.

• Evolution is a theory , a theory that keeps getting a ranch thrown into it and scientist have to back pedal. we used to believe we all came from Africa, this however was proven wrong when they found a few human remains in China that shut down the African theory and that humans have been around longer than thought. I think we can believe in what man says but we shouldn't be zombies and think their isn't other possibilities.

• yes i do, there is so much proof pointing to the theory of evolution that it is practically proven,
    but i understand why some people don't, its a matter of upbringing in some cases, if you've been taught all your life by your parents that God created the world in 6 days and on the 7th he rested, then thats what you're more likely to believe.

• Not at all!

• Nope, I do not

• Yes I do.

• To be fair, Americans aren't known for being a smart people...
    And, yes, I do believe in Evolution.

• Yes, I do.

• Of course. To deny evolution would be to deny science and evidence.