Why can't models be SHORT?

It makes me feel so ugly. Why can't there be short/average models?

Only tall women can be beautiful?

Most Helpful Girl

• Hon, there are 2 things very, very wrong here.

#1, you are thinking about runway and editorial, which are basically the only 2 kinds of modeling where height is an absolute must.
    You know that runway and editorial are only a tiny TINY percentage of modeling jobs, right? Like, probably not even 1 percent?
    Most modeling is print work. Print uses a huge diversity of models, including women of all heights.

The body type that IS excluded from modeling, for the most part, is the "in-between size" -- like, size 8 or 10, too small for plus-size modeling but too big for standard jobs. Those women don't find a ton of work unless they lose some weight or (ironically) gain some.

#2, you are equating models with beauty.
    Again... nope. ESPECIALLY not runway models!
    Girl you know what the point of runway models is, right?
    Runway models are BACKGROUND.
    They are basically clothes hangers, with legs.
    The point is to choose the body type that will divert the LEAST amount of attention away from the clothes.
    Runway models are specifically supposed to be NOT "sexy" or "beautiful", because that would defeat the purpose!

Editorial models -- think glossy ads, VS angels, etc. -- square up a little better with society's stereotype of "beauty", but, really, who gives a shit? LOL
    I was an editorial model through my early and mid-20's. That look got me... well, modeling jobs, but, not much else. It's DEFINITELY not the look that most men want, if that's what you are thinking about. And it really doesn't open a ton of other doors, that other kinds of female beauty won't also open.

Srsly though, we NEED to get rid of this stupid idea that runway and editorial models are actually supposed to represent the whole of female beauty... and the even stupider idea that that's somehow perpetuated by men. (I know a grand total of zero straight men who prefer a size 00 woman. Zero, out of literally thousands. The only man I've ever met who was the least bit judgmental about this, was as gay as the day is long.)

I HATE when people perpetuate this idea. It's a fucking stupid idea, and it makes women feel like shit. Help people get rid of it, please. Especially women. One woman at a time.

• Thank you so much. This really made me feel better

• I will do that. You're awesome. Thanks again

What Guys Said 22

• Because they're looking for people who stand out and have "exotic" features that stand out from the average crowd. Tall, Good bone structure, thin, athletic etc..

As far as height is concerned that's mainly for runway models, you could still model outside of that.

• You can be attractive and short.

• i have "exotic" features but i'm short (5"3) being tall doesn't mean you're exotic.

• @sara_nour
      I didn't say it did.
      The only thing I mentioned regarding height was that they prefer people who stand out from the normal/average population. Hence why most runway models are required to be 5'9 I believe.

• Me don't know.

• Personally, I like shorter women more! Don't get what people see in models nowdays... Skinny af, they give me chills, soo disgusting! Dem models from 50s 60s 70s are far more attractive than models nowdays. They had curves, they had some meat on their bodies, they were juicy. Todays models are just skin and bone and looks like zombies. Their faces are fine but a good face doesn't make you beautiful, it makes you cute.

• Fashion is run by dickless faggots. In porn you will find many different body types represented, including petite women.

It turns out that in reality, most men prefer short (petite) women. That's why there's so many of them. It's evolutionary advantageous to be a short woman. Those tall lanky woman appeal to a minority of men.

• being short isn´t "ugly". it´s just that models have to be a certain size, because designers don´t make their clothes in a lot of sizes for the cat walk. they make one size so you have to be that size or you can´t be a model for that.

• because tall models is a bigger canvas for designers to add more detail to the pieces in their collection

• I have to say all of my models are tiny, between 25 and 32mm tall... oh wrong sort of model.

My brother is a photographer and he has had models of all shapes and sizes for his shoots.

But your female mho has given the best advice here.

Are you looking to go into modeling or are you just thinking that runway models are better looking than other people?

• The latter

• They are not, skeletons are the only thing skinyer than a run way model.

They are not a healthy size at all

• They are looking for a billboard to display a product not for what men find attractive. They're trying to sell clothing, purses, make up, etc. to women...

• No, only short women can be beautiful to me :) so if you are like 5'2-3. You are amazing

• I have the same question haha most of my good looking female friends are short, and as a result they are adorable!

• Most guys I know like short girls.

• Why can't Chris Hemsworth be fat

• So you're comparIng being short to being fat? Ok

• No I'm comparing attributes we both wish we had to attributes that we do have.

• I ADORE short girls. I hope you never feel less than beautiful because of your height!

• I do though.

• Maybe you need confidence. But that will come from you, not anyone else. Wish we were friends.

• I know. I have to work on it.

• Amazonian girls are weird and gross sorry.

• Not really, most men in general like short women. I'll be the pit bull you be the chihuahua.

• Are you stupid? In which world do you live?

• Why there can't be short average male models? Why are only tall guys suppose to be handsome?

• I don't know tbh

• Then how you expect us to know lol

• The same way as Only tall men are hot and attractive to MAJORITY of women.

• Because when they take their photo, people don't realize they're tall, and implicitly assume they're thinner. They're not actually thinner, it's basically an illusion.

Since women are terrified of looking overweight, designers have two options - design clothes that are slimming, or design whatever the hell they feel like, then take photos of 5'11" 105 lbs women wearing them so that nobody realizes how crappy the design is. For some reason the latter approach is popular.

In actual physical real life, more guys like short than tall, though a fair number do like tall women as well. But models are NOT chosen based on their ability to be attractive in the flesh, they're chosen based on how they look in print or on stage.

• Because an average person cannot be a model. You need to be outstanding. You need to draw attention. You need to turn heads, and no one can do that like tall girls. They are gorgeous! Also clothes look better on them. That doesn't mean short girls are ugly. It a girl has a nice face/body, height is not something that will matter to a guy. So you have nothing to feel bad about.

• Now I feel worse

• Don't feel bad, there are plenty of beautiful short girls! I was just explaining about modeling.

• But most of the times models don't have any curves and their faces are pretty average.

• Clothes look best on the hangers and tall thin women replicate that. Beauty comes in all sizes.

• you dont feel ugly. you ARE attrociously ugly.

• Eh you're pushing it a little

• So what are they hired for?

• for having certain characteristics (not necessarily good or bad) and having a weird/rare face that designers crave. have you seen many "sterotypically pretty" women as models? hell no.

What Girls Said 19

• I'm tall and I wish for a long time be average I was always the tallest gir in middle school and preschool I got picked on. Guys I liked when I was in middle school always told me if I was shorter they would date me. Embrace who you are and love yourself that's what makes a person beautiful

• Relax. You are correct you have to be at least 5 foot seven to be a runway model. That doesn't mean you're ugly that just means you're not tall enough to be a runway model for clothing. I am 5 foot five I model but not clothing. Manufacturers of clothing make certain sizes prior to distribution. They cannot produce every size of a specific dress skirt etc. so they produce a few sizes that will look dynamic as models walked down the runway. That's how it started. It is not a reflection of you as a human being or as an attractive

• Models need to be outstanding.
    So something that's average (average != ugly) doesn't stand out to the crowd.
    Plus, catwalk models are only tall and skinny with a butterface (most of them, not all) because they don't show their beauty, they present the clothing.
    Clothing can be easier made to look good on a skinny body with minimal curves than for a curvy (curvy != fat) body.

• being a short girl myself, i actually never minded models being tall. they have to have some feature that kinda stands out from the crowd apart from facial features tbh. it doesn't mean they're automatically better looking, it just means theyve got something very noticeable. there are plenty of short celebrities who do beauty commercials and such too. in real life and dating, its the face that matters most.

I don't know it just doesn't bug me. many runway models aren't even meant to be gorgeous in the face in a conventional sense. they just have unique bone structure that makes them interesting looking. at least thats what I've learned from America's Next Top Model. Cheer up :) Height isn't something you can control, so don't worry about it!

• I think because taller models fit the clothes the way the designers want
    Aka shows off the clothes
    I don't know really
    But ussually runway models are tall
    You can be a short model for a magazine
    So height doesn't define beauty

• But they can be!

• Commercial models are short.

• 5'7 isn't short.

• 5'7 above is for catwalk models (realistically you need to be 5'8).. anything lower is for commercial models.

• There are plenty of modeling jobs that are not runway fashion that you can do if you're not tall, or even a certain age or size/look

• Totally correct

• You need to tell that to the person who asked the question and feels bad about herself. I do find. I am in school. Modeling is for spending money

• @SexyStudent The @Asker can read all of this, because she should be getting alerts, which means that we should probably stop blowing up her feed here. You can message me if you want.

• models aren't necessarily beautiful. they are what is considered fashionable right now. beauty does not depend on height.

• Hey, girl, short girls are way cuter! I am a "tall" girl and hell, I hate it when cute boys are shorter than me. Bet that never happens to you :*

• Usually tall people are proportionate Wherease short people aren't. Generally short women have short legs and arms. tall people have a proportionate waist to legs to arms. Short people have to wear certain clothes to elongate them from looking frumpy , not tall people. it's just the clothes will fit their body proportions better

• well that's a silly thing to think
    Look at Megan fox, shakira, Lucy hale, Eva longoria. Some of the most beautiful women in the world are short :)

• How come so many models come from rich privileged families is a better question.

• That I can answer right away. Assuming the person is not totally ugly, name recognition goes a long way. My father is a physicist that the shit for me unless I am a participant in a physics conference. But if you are the child of a famous person, that is how you are introduced, "and here's the daughter of blah blah blah."

• Because clothes generally hang better on taller women. There ARE petite models but they're just less marketable I suppose.

• Kate Moss is short

• Today's society suggest that beautiful women are tall

• how tall are you?

• Hi five girl. I envy the figures of tall girls because of the way they can dawn clothed. Us short girls are beautiful too though. Equally and even more at times. Guys often love short girls though. They pick on us but they love the cute height 😉

• No, beauty can be everywhere. The only reason runway models are tall and skinny is because the designer thinks that's who the garments will look best. Longer lengths to showcase designs and structure.