Why are minors legally considered slaves?

Minors are considered brainless weaklings that should be guarded by their parents rather than sentient beings. They're deprived of fundamental human rights such as the freedom of movement under the name "protection". Why?

Most Helpful Guy

• They're not slaves, they have all kinds of rights that are protected way better than rights of adults. No other group is considered as precious as kids. They don't have freedom because they don't have the maturity/brain development to use that freedom in ways that won't hurt them. If any kid could do whatever they wanted, they'd believe the guy who offers them candy and end up as victims of pedophiles or they'd make all kinds of decisions that they'd later regret. There were decisions that I wanted to make in my teens that I thought were reasonable at the time but oh boy am I grateful that my parents stopped me. I do remember hating not having freedom though. I could have used a bit more space/freedom as a kid, not when it comes to big decisions I wasn't capable of making properly, but when it comes to small day-to-day stuff.

Most Helpful Girl

• Slaves? No. You have the freedom to do what you want. You just have a driving curfew and you can't have sex with people who are adults because it's considered rape on their part. Besides that and checking in with your parents (if your parents want that) because they care and want to make sure you're not drugged up in some back alley or kidnapped or something, you're able to do whatever.

What Guys Said 3

• Minors are NOT legally considered slaves.
    They're considered incapable of taking engagements and assessing some risks.
    This will explain you why: mentalhealthdaily. com/.../

• LOL you don't even know what freedom is :D

• listen here ungrateful brat. if there werent for the parenthood and the childhood till 18 years old. and the mandatory education, you'd be working in the mines or fields since 11 yearsold, cleaning cow shit and digging coal. this "unfairness" that you say is in fact an achievement of modern civilization. in the past your parents owned you and could have you for free as a slave and worker, and even sacrifice you in the foundations of their new house if they wanted for good luck. children where objects especially in antiquitty. in the middle ages theologians were asking if they even have a soul. we've gone FAR FORWARD from that.

What Girls Said 1

• Because a six year old doesn't have the cognitive abilities (yet) to make rational decisions about important things, such as their health care.

• What about sixteen?

• As your brain isn't fully developed until around 24-25, I would still be reticent to give over control to a minor over their person. Teenagers, due to their phase of cognitive development, believe themselves to be invincible and to know better than everyone else as they are incapable of seeing the bigger picture. They can't conceive yet of how their actions might have longstanding consequences and that their troubles are usually paltry compared to the suffering in the world.

• I only have one thing to say to this: No.