Is it weird for a non-American to like using Fahrenheit and Imperial System?

• yes...
  • no...

Most Helpful Girl

• Nah, use whichever one you like more and is easier for you.

Most Helpful Guy

• No, I'm Canadian and I prefer using the Imperial system

What Girls Said 0

What Guys Said 5

• Yes, for me it is quite weird. I've lived in the US and so I've learned to calculate or at least estimate how much something is in the metric system when talking to Americans but I still don't understand why Americans wouldn't switch. I'm very glad I've grown up in a country where we have the metric system. Not only because scales such as degrees Celsius are also used in science but also because the imperial system just seems very illogical and outdated to me. For example learning at school that one foot has 12 inches but one yard has 3 feet and one miles has how many yards? I think I would have been really annoyed as a elementary school student ;-). In the metric system it's so simple. 10 millimeter are one centimeter, 10 centimeter are one decimeter, 10 decimeter are one meter, 1000 meters are one kilometer... and if you know a bit of Latin, you don't even have to do any calculations anymore.

• Fahrenheit is actually a superior system as it has a much finer and precise measurement of temperature (using celsius the difference between healthy body temperature and dead is about 2-3 degrees, for farhenheit their is a much better gradient for it). However I think the imperial system of measurment is crap so I don't know why any one would choose it over the much more simplified metric system (and I grew up using the imperial system).

• The body temperature thing you mentioned is a little more. A healthy body temperature is 36,6 degrees Celsius. When you've got a body temperature of 42 degrees Celsius, you are still alive but at an emergency danger. Anything higher than 42 will (usually) kill you. So the difference is about 6 degrees.

• @BlueCoyote true but my point still stands (I do not use celsius so I am going off of what I remember from highschool)

• Yeah, it's sort of weird. There is no compelling reason to use the imperial system and the fact the the system doesn't scale well is extremely bad for today information. Combine with the fact that you still have to use the IS even when you are in America because there aren't going substitute for the IS. For example, CC for air volumes, kilobytes, klicks (navy term?), nanoseconds, micrometers... etc.

• i think it is weird that america still uses it to be honest

• Not if your really familiar with it