What type of operating system are you using on your computer?

I need to replace my old computer. It's about 10 years or older running XP. What are you all using? Any Ideas on a good replacement.

Most Helpful Guy

Most Helpful Girl

• LOVED XP
    AND YOU WILL MISS IT!
    but security/NO SUPPORT issues made me lose it to win8.1-64, which immediately attacked my checkbook program that now exiled to a XP laptop not connected to internet hackers... UGH! and they want us to upgrade to win10 and lose MORE programs/information? What? MS =self serving, customer care = zero

Most are running to Apple
    If you don't have programs on the MS chopping block, win10 might be OK
    Avoid all androids, what a nightmare that was for a friend getting back to a status quo

• Thanks for the info.

• more on this but couldn't re-find the article where Win 10 chokes down even more abilities we favor, think it was something to do with trying to cripple some of competitor Google Chrome's features... again, if it's not a Microsoft product, MS has no cares about supporting it and even takes a bat to it... now you see why no longer supports/protects XP... it's competing against sales of 7, 8, 9 & now 10!!!

www.gfi.com/.../

• Thanks again for the informative article.

What Guys Said 31

• I'm using Linux Mint 17 + Vista (will be window 7/8 in not to long tho) for now

i1127. photobucket. com/.../...15-09-18%20051919. png = Linux desktop and it's free.

• Windows 10 and Linux, I use Windows for gaming and Linux for everything else, on a newer/decent spec computer I'd recommend Kubuntu for older/low spec computer I'd recommend Lubuntu. I really like that Kubuntu has lots of themes ready to install with the click of a mouse. Both Lubuntu and Kubuntu have thousands of free apps available via software centre waiting to be installed with the simple click of a mouse. So far I'm still having problems with Windows 10, wifi quits working after sleep causing the need for a reboot, plus it fails to recognise my wireless printer which perfect in Linux.
    Lubuntu
    2.bp.blogspot.com/.../lubuntu1204.png
    Kubuntu:
    cdn.arstechnica.net/.../ubuntu1504-kubuntu.png

• I have a Mac.

What do you use your computer for? Maybe I can help you with what would suit you best. I can tell you if your better to get a Mac or another Windows PC.

• Mostly a little research, check sites like this one, Email a bit of gaming not much else.

• However, 3rd party gaming software is starting to get more and more popular for Macs. Many new games come out with the ability to run on Mac computers to. You usually have to download the Mac version from a webiste once you buy the game from the shop.

• Mac computers also have better built bodies as well. Made out of metal and glass not plastic and plastic like PC's. This means the body of a Mac lasts much better than a PC. Mac computers don't damge very easy at all.

• I'm using a Windows 10 Pro and I'd recommend that - pretty good stuff so far :)

I use it on a ThinkPad X series - have been a hardcore ThinkPad user all along

• My wife's laptop turns on XP. My computers are turning on Win7 pro.
    I want to wait with upgrading them to Win10 till the last moment.

• I use Windows 7 home basic

• I'd recommend windows 10. I liked windows 7 too so I guess it's not bad but it's hard to find it these days and windows 10 will do just fine.

A replacement computer depends on what you are using it for. I'd recommend a laptop for mobility if you mostly do office work. Other than that, I usually build my own. I also recommend a computer with SSD.

• I've bought a new Asus laptop about a month ago and it has Windows 10.
    What's remarkable: sometimes my laptop says something had become unstable... but it never crashes! It tells you it has already repaired the problem.
    Other people also said it's very stable - but never install it on an old PC or laptop. Windows 10 needs memory and processor capacity or it will fair :o

• If you are going to buy a full PC you will most likely end up with Windows 10. Personally I would recommend you Windows7 as it is the most stable and reliable.

• I have Windows 7 running, mostly because I'd have to reinstall it before I install Windows 10. But I'm lazy

• Home laptop: Windows 10
    MacBook: El Capitan
    Office desktop: Windows 7 Enterprise

Unless you are buying a Mac, you're going to end up with Windows 10.

• Currently Windows 10, but I got a laptop running Windows 7 too.

• WIndows 10 I am using a loaner

• I had XP for the longest time and like it... it was one of Windows best OS. I wish I had not upgraded to Win10 because some of my specialized software does not load properly with Win 10, or it bombs a lot. Bummer...

• Windows 10. I did the free upgrade last summer. Overall I'm okay with it.

• Windows 10

• I've had Windows 10 for a couple of months now.

• It depends on what you want too do with it.

MAC's and the others in the Apple range are costly.

You can pick up a new PC/Laptop ( not for gaming ) for a couple of hundred, brand new off the shelf.

• Yes so I have seen been checking prices.

• Basically, if you are not going to be playing the latest games spend a couple of hundred. If you want too play game spend a couple of grand.

• The only thing you're going to get with a new pc is either windows 10 or Mac OS. If you're going 10 years between upgrades, Linux is probably not what you want.

• Wait, Doe you're FINALLY doing something about it? You contemplated this before about 1 year ago too.

• Lol mac.
    I used to use linux.

• Switch to Mac baby

• Any troubles yet, how long have you been using yours?

• Well, Mac has it's own issues. You'll take some time to get used to the commands and gestures. If you're using productivity tools (Microsoft office, Photoshop etc.,) you may struggle a bit. If you don't want to risk it, go for windows 10. It's pretty decent.

• I have a dual-boot with Windows 7 and Debian.

• 7. Used to run a Mandrake machine but I'm too much of a gamer, and don't need Linux anymore.

• Windows 10, And I got Linux on a memory stick.

• Those who recommend Windows have never tried Mac OS. If you aren't a gamer or an engineer who needs special software Mac is the best thing.

• Mac OS X currently... and Windows 10 (Parallels) so... yeah.

• Linux, xubuntu for your PC.

• windows 10.

• Windows 8.1 I hate it, but it is better for gaming than 7 and 10 is still riddled with performance bugs.

• More from Guys
    1

What Girls Said 7