Holding pee for excessive periods of time?

I'm a waitriss at a local restraunt and I rarely have time to go pee, sometimes my bladder is absolutely bursting and there will be TONS of people waiting to get seated so I can't just leave most of the time because we are already short staffed.

Is there ways to hold your pee without it hurting or harming yourself? Because typically I have to hold mine all day and I'm starting to think it's unhealthy for me.. Sometimes I get to the point where I'm struggling to stand up straight, any help? I've tried to talk to my boss about this but he said "You have breaks, why not go then?" and I would if the bathroom wasn't closed due to the nasty nature of some of our customers. So I'm litterally forced to hold in my pee.. and it's putting a strain on not only my bladder, but my actual job as well.

I've talked to my doctor about it and we now have the situation settled, I can now pee freely. Thanks for the replies everyone!

Most Helpful Guy

• yes it unhealthy. my only suggestion is find somewhere else to work.

• That's not a bad suggestion but.. I live in a small area and it's difficult to find places to work, I could drive about 40 miles a day (there and back) to get a better job. (My current job being just 12 miles away from my home) however I'm kinda tight on money as it is and can't afford to leave just yet. What would you suggest I do?

• i under stand what you mean about small town and not many options. where i grew up for restaurants we had 4 options and two of them were bars. with how much i hate to say it. hurting your health is never worth any job. and the customers are not going to tip you any more or less do to the 5 minutes you take in the bathroom. about it being dirty, you lady's should get together and work to keep it clean for your selves if anything.

Most Helpful Girl

• it is really unhealthy to hold your pee as you can get an infection. I would try to go as soon as I get into work, and on your break run next door or something x

What Guys Said 4

• You don't have to ask permission or be on break to piss. As long as your bathroom breaks are reasonable and not "excessive" you can go when you have to go or see if there is anything in your contact about bathroom breaks.

• I know, but usually everyday is a busy day for me. That's where the actual holding takes place. Like I said, I could go but with the people waiting and the bathroom 'most of the time' being out of order I can't really do anything about my situation. I've thought about using the mens room at times because I was so desperate just to go but then someone will ask for a refill or something that occupies time.

I know I don't 'have to ask for permission' but I can't just randomly leave and making people wait in line with no one there to sit them, I would lose my job.

• You can't lose your job over taking a break to go to the bathroom there is a law for that. Also their is a law to have a bathroom ready to use and in reasonable condition for all employees. Your manager and company can get in trouble for not having a bathroom for their female employees to lose.

• it isn't good for you no, all i can suggest is you meet with the boss and staff and draw up a cover rota so you can go to bathroom, something like that

• of course it is unhealthy... and you should have to drink a lot of water during the day... but it would get the situation worrse...

however it could not be so bad in you learn to control it :)

• Yeah, that isn't healthy. Just go in your pants, no one will notice.

What Girls Said 2

• I had an issue with a former employer not "allowing" enough time for us to leave registers and use the bathroom in my younger days. Thankfully there is this wonderful organization that you should get to know and love called OSHA (Occupational Safety and Health Administration ) which protects you, said employee. Ahem, and I quote: "OSHA’s sanitation standard “is intended to ensure that employers provide employees with sanitary and available toilet facilities, so that employees will not suffer the adverse health effects that can result if toilets are not available when employees need them.” These rules ensure that all workplace bathrooms remain safe, sanitary and easily accessible. Employees must have reasonable access to a bathroom facility. According to an April 6, 1998, OSHA memorandum, the standard mandates that “employers allow employees prompt access to bathroom facilities,” and that “restrictions on access must be reasonable, and may not cause extended delays.” Basically you must be allowed access to the bathroom when you need to go. If you are in actuality not allowed access to the bathroom either because they are constantly out of order or access is restricted to the point where you can't get in, you have a right to take that up with both your boss and OSHA. If either the above is true, mention this again to your boss, especially the pain you've experienced and how you need access to the bathroom. They must attend to the bathroom giving you access to it. As far as sanitation, that's a bit more tricky considering as you point out, the nature of your customers, so you may have to just suck it up and use the bathroom. Holding it too long and screw up your kidneys/bladder.

• I won't recommend. I used to hold my urine in for excessive amount of time and I got a UTI. That hurt like hell but I am good now and I will go when I have to..

• Oh wow, that sounds horrible. I wouldn't want that to happen to me, luckily it hasn't at the moment. In all honesty, I've been doing this for 2 months now (Give or take, some days I actually do get to pee, but like I said it's very rarely now) and it's really starting to worry me, my friend mentioned UTI as well and it scared me to death.

• Becareful and use the bathroom whenever you have to. Be sure to drinks lots of water to so that your urine isn't cloudy as kidney stones are another issue