Do you think humans will ever evolve to being able to breath under water?

Maybe something like gills or something similar.

• Yeah I think its possible
  • No I don't think that will ever happen
  • Give a long rant about how much I know about evolution and how smart I am
  • see results not sure

Most Helpful Girl

• I don't think it's possible because we don't spend enough time in water it hasn't become a necessity

Most Helpful Guy

• Well, it's not as crazy as the idea of abiogenesis so, yeah I guess anything's possible.

What Girls Said 4

• My fiancĂ© explained that we wouldn't be able to because human evolution has stopped due to the fact that we have made medical advances that aid in diseases and whatnot. Also, we have no reason to have gills since we have no reason to be living in nor staying under water for long periods of time.

• medical advances doesn't mean we've stopped evolving. it just means we've evolved to a point where we don't need to rely on certain things because we have medical advances.

• I think your fiancee might have mean natural selection was stopped, for the most part, by medicine. Evolution itself can't really be stopped, we'll continue changing to adapt to our environment unless it becomes consistent and non-changing.

• Even if we could, I'd first have to get over my fear of drowning to actually go under.

• No leave it to the frogs

• Hey...
    we went from apes to human...

that sounds a little bit more difficult than adjusting to water

What Guys Said 10

• You've got it completly backwards.

All life started out in water, we've left the water for the land.

Some mammals have returned to the ocean to live.
    Among these are whales, dolphins, sea lions, seals and in brackish water, manatees.
    Every single one of these remained warm blooded and retained lungs. The biggest adaptation with regard to respiration was in whales and dolphins with the occurance of the dorsal blow hole.

Breathing water again ain't happening.

Also, it is unlikely that we will respond very much to evolutionary pressures anyway.
    We humans use our brain power and our ability to cooperate to change our environment rather than permit the environment change ourselves.

• Yes, only if we would spend enough time underwater, otherwise not.

• We don't need to breathe underwater... there's no need to increase the capability for time spent underwater, so it's not going to be a thing. Although it would be cool for someone to invent a procedure to give people animal abilities/organs such as gills to breathe underwater. I would volunteer to test that kind of thing omg it'd be so good

• There would still be a bunch of us piled up at the bottom of the sea from not being able to swim. Talking about "i'm drowning! :O "

• I dive about 15 times a year... it would be sweet to just be able to breath underwater, less equipment!

• Nah, the extreme Islamic Jihadist, communist robots will get us before then.

• I almost drowned in a glass of milk once, true story.

• noooo since when did we evolve lol

• They won't evolve to, but we will probably be able to have gills installed if we want in the future

• No there is no biological advantage to it

• No biological advantage? I disagree

• Lots of minerals in the ocean, gold under the ocean it would make it easier to find if we coudl swim, etc.

• I human can only dive to about 300 any deeper the water wight will kill you second all the world sower is dumped into river or ocean so how are you going to prevent disease when you litterly swing through shit also swimming in a pool is out as the chlorine in the water would burn your gills and lastly evolution doesn't care about minerals at the bottom of the ocean evolution is considered with how can I make this creature better at surviving in there environment and as human are thriving there is no biological advantage to use evolving at all unless it's done buy human them self evolution will never give us gills