Do you think the western approach doctors have is flawed?

In western medicine, doctors are taught how to treat the symptom, not find the root of the cause. You get eczema on your face? Oh here, take this steroid cream (which will work temporarily and eventually cause harm to your skin) You have anxiety? Here, take some meds. Instead of trying to find the root cause of it. Your average doctor is practically the last person who will give you nutrition advice, just take these pills and go off!

When it comes to advanced shit like surgeries, we are the best but our philosphy on healing our body is just crap.

• I agree
  • Disagree
  • answers
I remember as a teen, I had dermatitis on my face. The stupid ass dermatologist just gave me a steroid cream (which I didn't know at the time, it's not good for your skin and it's an actual long-term solution"

It made everything worse. I cured it years later by fixing my diet, lowering my salt intake and cleaning my system from the inside out.
I believe our body has AMAZING healing capabilities... if you give it the fuel it's missing.

Most Helpful Girl

• Honestly, I agree. Preventative medicine is far more effective but you can never find that at an allopathic doctor's office.

My grandmother died of congestive heart failure. She had rheumatic fever as a child, which damaged her mitral valve. She had an artificial valve placed when she was in her 30s. When she was in her 50s, this valve started to fail. She went to the doctor complaining of having difficulty breathing. As she was asthmatic, the doctor prescribed a different steroid. Unsurprisingly, this didn't help because it was her heart and not her lungs that was the issue.

It wasn't until she was in cardiac and respiratory distress and on a ventilator that anyone thought to check her heart. Unsurprisingly again, it was too late.

What Girls Said 1

• I agree that the mentality of tossing drugs at every problem and calling it a win is not the solution, however, I feel like in addition to searching for the root cause & preventitive medicine & any more natural remedies, medicine should be readily there too esp if its acute care. for some chronic conditions like the ones u mentioned, i think preventitive and natural medicine is vastly underutilized

What Guys Said 3

• I somewhat agree and somewhat disagree. I don't know where you're from because you're on anoOr n but this liberal attitude towards pills and pharmaceutical products in general is actually very different depending on the (western) country you're talking about. For example I found out that in the US, you can buy so many pills and stuff over the counter that you'd need a prescription for in my country. Or another example would be southern Europe. My family has a vacation house on the Balearic islands (Spain) and so we went there on vacation many times when I was a child/teenager. One time we went there in February because it's still pretty warm there in the winter but I got sick with the flue. My mom took me to the doctor because the pharmacy was closed (it's a small town) and we didn't have any aspirin left. Instead of giving us something mild, he was very strong about giving me an anti-biotica. My mom and me both refused and so we went home again. It's pretty similar in Greece where my dad is from. You've got a cough or your nose is a little sore and they immediately want to give you some totally over-the-top medical bomb. Luckily, in central and northern Europe, it's not so much like that. People tend to have a very different attitude towards pharmaceutical drugs and they try to keep their use as low as possible. I practically grew up without any pharmaceutical drugs except the ones I really needed due to my visual disability. For example when I had a headache as a child, my parents only gave me an aspirin if it was really, really bad. Usually they would tell me to just lie down and sleep/relax a bit (and that worked most of the time.
    I generally believe that western medicine works very well and it's the best thing out there. Because I had to grow up with a physical disability and I had many surgeries as a child, I'm very, very grateful for medicine to be so advances. Had I been born just 30 or 40 years earlier, I would probably be blind now. However, I also believe that people should have a responsible attitude towards medical treatment and pharmaceutical products. Don't run to the doctor because of every stupid cough. Don't go to the hospital just because you've got the flue. Don't take aspirin for causes that are not related to headache (a lot of Americans use aspirin as a universal pain killer and that's actually very unhealthy). Only take pills etc. if you REALLY need them. And of course, there's also Chinese/eastern medicine that can also

• help you. I wouldn't use Chinese medicine exclusively but it can be a good alternative or additional treatment. This is also why we had an initiative to put Chinese/alternative medicine into the catalogue of our universal health care and it was accepted by the people, so these kinds of treatments are also covered now. For example my little sister had really bad migraines for years and no normal doctor could help her, so she went to an eastern medicine doctor who gave her several sessions of acupuncture and her migraine totally disappeared and it was great that she doesn't have to pay anything for it.

• I do agree with you. However you're going to have an uphill battle to get people to pay heed. Alternative philosophies are seemingly so different in terms of their epistemology. People unknowingly have a lot of prejudices with regard to alternative approaches, and their hokey connotations, plus they've been appropriated and abused by 'spaced out' idiots. I mean, I could go into a lot of depth with regard to this. But the central problem is that alternative approaches don't fit our current paradigm. The causality of do this, and there will be healing, is not so straight forward. A lot of unconscious factors and behaviours lead to sickness. Physical manifestation of disease is essentially the last level. I do stuff such as massaging my internal organs. But really, all these do is bring out repressions from my psyche. Even someone relatively experienced, as I am, still has difficulty healing (integrating) stuff lastingly. Behaviours are so deeply rooted. Secondly, paying attention to your body, being still enough to do so, is not really we're trained to do since birth. We have this attitude of constant attainment (or we're worthless), constant doing, perpetual distraction, perpetual fascination with the outwardly. Going into yourself, is just so alien to people.

The other interesting thing I find, and I find I have mentioned this before, is the really terrible dynamic that the patient and the doctor has. The doctor is the guru, with all this technical knowledge pertaining to the human body, unconsciously making the patient utterly, dangerously, passive. The upshot being, that the patient really has no incentive to look after his health, or understanding how to do so. Apparently cancer rates by the age of 60 have trebled since the 1970s. Everything thinks we're getting healthier. We're just becoming more sophisticated at keeping weakened and compromised immune systems going. Which of course, is a great thing. But is ultimately short sighted.

As a side note, some of the old books I have are hilarious. I literally, burst out laughing, a few hours ago. One of the suggestions was to bend over and expose one's anus and genitals to the sun for a certain healing... Yes, I think I have more compassion for my neighbours than that ;)

• Doctors often give advice to patients about how to change their lifestlyes, patients simply tend to not listen.