How do you live life, enjoy it, all while in debt?

I graduated school over a year ago, I've got a job in my field, and so far I've only been able to pay $2000.00 back of my student loan -- only 28,000.00 more to go! -- I feel like its all I'm thinking about and that I can't seem to find the time to enjoy myself. I want to plan a trip this year, and I can budget for it -- but that bloody student loan makes me feel guilty for wanting to take this trip. So, how do you live life, enjoy it, all the while in debt?

Most Helpful Guy

• I owe about $100,000 in student loans. I will probably never pay them back.

Most Helpful Girl

• I'd say live in the here and now, think of how life is short and you might go out tomorrow and be hit by a car. What would you regret then?

Your loans will always be there. Unless you can pay back a big chunk at once, it makes sense to only pay back what you scheduled to pay back and spend the rest living while you're young.

That's just general advice though, I'm not in debt, so I wouldn't know personally

• I have 10 years to pay it off... so YOLO?

• and what happens after 10 years?

• Then I'd have to finace it. I don't see myself needing the 10 fulls years to pay it off though.

What Guys Said 6

• It's all in your mind. Just don't think or overthink about it too much and you should be fine. Some people end up having shit tons of debts even by the time they die and never paid all of them off I remembered correctly.

Any other case, try and figure out what is the most optimized and efficient way to pay back your loans in the shortest amount of time possible. The interest will always be a problem so you would have to try and find a way to pay in bulks of $1000s at a time to keep that interest low. Be frugal as much as possible from here on out, stop buying anything you absolutely do not really need. Avoid spending too much or spending at all on anything you really do not need and will not use.

If possible try and see if you can get a second part-job or something so that will earn you some additional income which could help you in paying back the loans in a greater amount than the amount you are currently able to pay.

• you have to plan accordingly and make time. if you can't do it right now then that trip will simply have to wait.

• I always avoided debt. When I was still a student, that meant sometimes food insecurity, rarely new clothes, working a job to survive.

• I wouldn't be able to sleep if I have debt that size. I don't mean to scare you but whatever you do find a way to pay it off asap. Ask parents, friends, anyone you can think of. Just make sure you don't own money to any institution. They will always get their money back even if the have to walk all over you. I know what I'm talking about. I work in a bank.

• Here's what I did (and everyone gives me shit for it):

-I finished college at age 23 with $22,000 in student loans
    -It took me 6 months to find a job
    -When I was 24, I started working a "real job".
    -I turned 25 a few months ago... and now I only have ~2,000 in student loans

How did I do this? I work and I live with my parents still. People give me a lot of shit for living with my parents still at age 25 - they say I am a loser, that I am mooching off them, that I am irresponsible and not independent.

Guess what? I am the one that is basically done paying off my loans, while everyone is paying for theirs.

Just live with your parents, pay it off in 1 year and then do what you need to do. Trust me... I used to think like you... but you're not missing much.

• Just default like everyone else.

What Girls Said 3

• By not thinking about it.

• I would pay back the loan first.

After paying rents, bills, food, necessities, whatever is left, focus on the loan first then keep pocket money for gas, emergency, etc.

I read somewhere that someone paid of 65k in certain years I forget.

Andi think the person paid off monthly or weekly, or something.

• there's lots of free things to do