How would you react if your kid came out to you as?

(Answer all that you want)

How would you react if your kid came out to you (and your partner if you have one) as:

Gay?
Lesbian?
Bisexual?
Transgender, male-to-female?
Transgender, female-to-male?
Anything genderqueer (they don't feel like they fit into any gender, or fit into both genders, it's a wide spectrum)
Asexual? (they don't feel sexual attraction)
Aromantic? (they don't feel romantic attraction)
Polyamorous (likes more than one person at a time, they have 3-person relationships and stuff like that)

Most Helpful Guy

• Honest answers. Selfish answers.
    Gay?
    Supportive. I would put on a happy face for him. It would not make my day, but I wouldn't love my son any less, and he doesn't need to know I'm not thrilled, because his adult choices are his business.
    Lesbian?
    I could deal with this much easier. Fathers feel threatened by boyfriends and such. Like some other guy is taking their little girl away. I would not feel like girlfriends were a threat (to me). I've actually thought before that I might be more content knowing my girl was a lesbian. this isn't a belief that a guy is dangerous for her, it is about my own, selfish, masculine image.
    Bisexual?
    I think bi people are treated unfairly, like they need to pick a side. This would not bother me.
    Transgender, male-to-female?
    Openly and plainly disappointed and upset. Would never disown, but could not support.
    Transgender, female-to-male?
    The same as above.
    Wonder what I did wrong, as a parent, that my child feels like they don't belong in their own body.
    Pity them. Sex and the connection it grants is important, and something they should, as adults, partake in and enjoy. I would feel terrible they were left out of that.
    Worried. Being unable to form romantic attachments means they likely suffer forming any kind of attachment. This can be a sign of a severe personality disorder. I would look to get them counselling and help.
    Openly support. What is important is that they love who they are with, not that they are strictly monogamous. But they would have to respect their partners. If with someone they loved who did not want to be part of a poly relationship, and expected monogamy, I would expect my child to respect that.

What Guys Said 6

• I'd try to understand it and research it as well as they could so that I could support them as well as I can.

• allahu akbar

• The most scary part of the phrase is: "YOUR KID" :P

• I wouldn't care

• I probably already knew.

• I wouldn't care. I would try to support my kid as best as I possibly could. Since he/she isn't harming anyone or anything then I would only want the best for my kid

What Girls Said 4

• Gay? Fine.
    Lesbian? Fine.
    Bisexual? Fine.
    Transgender? I don't really buy that stuff.
    There are only two genders. Deal with it.
    Asexual? Fine.
    Aromantic? I'm not really buying that either but I'd encourage them not to pursue relationships at all. To protect the other person.
    Polyamorous? I'd be displeased. To put it lightly.

• Transgender doesn't mean they don't believe in the gender binary. It's within the gender binary, actually

• I don't see why I'd respond negatively to any of these, I don't really care.

• I try to understand his/her situation is a mistake or real need.

-If its a mistake, namely my daughter-son is wrong, we solve the problem.
    -If its a real need, really s/he feel as common gender, i help him/her and make every effort to win real identity.

• I don't plan to have kids but even if I did, I wouldn't care about that.