Why are internet Trolls called Trolls, why not internet Goblins or Orcs, or Ogres?

0|0
3|7

Most Helpful Guy

• Because Trolls are skillful tricksters - unlike Orcs, Trolls are more daring compared to Goblins, and smarter than Ogres.

1|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

What Guys Said 6

• Here's a woodcut of an Internet troll waiting under a bridge to accost unsuspecting Internet forum participants.
    crown7cacb.files.wordpress.com/.../...-woodcut.jpg

1|2
    0|0
  • Because Trolls are from Norse mythology and if I recall correctly, they were annoying tricksters there, so it's befitting to call internet-annoying people as trolls.

0|1
    0|0
    • But Goblins are also annoying tricksters ;)

• Maybe because trolls sit under bridges and wait for unsuspecting victims...

2|0
    0|0
    • Kind of like how internet trolls sit in their parent's basement looking for unsuspecting victims on the internet.

• I see your point :)

• I blame harry potter

1|0
    0|0
  • I'm not sure but there was a song called trololo and suddenly everyone used the word troll when someone was messing around.

1|0
    0|0
  • Why not shreks?

@TheBraveLion Get shrekt fag

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 2

• Trolling rolls off the tongue better than goblining or orcing...

Also to troll:

fish by trailing a baited line along behind a boat.

So they are baiting people with their nonsense just to either sit back and watch discord ensue, or leave it thinking they made others upset. Although I'd wager some like to read their trolly comments and responses.

1|0
    0|0
  • It isn't from the myth, it's from the type of fishing called trolling where they drag a net across the water and see what bites.

1|0
    0|0