Guys, would you really want to live in a world where make-up for women was not allowed or didn't exist?

I hear from time to time this bashing of women who wear make-up. Some guys feel like women who wear make-up are lying about who they are or what they look like, but make-up has been a part of human history for centuries in some form or other. Despite what some guys may think, women don't just wear make-up for them or to look good for guys, a lot of us like wearing it, like picking colors, and like to sometimes look different like creating a cat eye or wearing false lashes. I mean, it's not like you can't tell when a woman is wearing a lot of make-up, and so if that's not your thing, I hardly think that type of guy is going to get in with someone with a full face of the stuff.

• No, I will gladly continue to live in a world where ladies have the option to wear make-up
    41% (7)
  • Yes, get rid of the make-up for everyone right now. Let everyone have to be all natural.
    59% (10)
And you are? I'm a GuyGirls can not vote on this poll

12

Most Helpful Guy

• I think there are two type of guys. Some guys really like the natural looks. That's about 10%. The other 90% say they don't like make-up but what they actually mean to say is that they like make-up that doesn't look too cheap. It shouldn't be in-your-face type of make-up but rather "naturally looking".

Personally, I belong to the first category. I'm absolutely into REAL natural looks. It's a big turn-on for me. You could say I've got a bit of a naturalness-fetish but that sounds too negative. I consider it something positive.
    My girlfriend doesn't wear any make-up whatsoever. Not even small, subtle stuff like eyeliner. Because I've been together with her for several years, I also know that she herself doesn't like make-up. She sometimes laughs about other girls who waste their time in the mornings putting on make-up for half an hour while she just gets some more sleep and from getting out of bed to going out the door, it takes her 20 minutes (she's super fast in the bathroom, faster than me ;-)). I think that's a very charming side of her. She's very beautiful even without any make-up and I sorta like this guyish attitude she has about her looks. What I also like about all-natural girls is that their self-esteem is much higher than the self-esteem of make-up girls. I've heard soooo many girls say stuff like "I can't go outside without make-up, it makes me feel naked". I think that's pretty pathetic and sad if you feel that way. I think it's really cool how my girlfriends (and other girls like her) can just be like guys about it "if you don't like the way I look, screw you!" I like girls who are happy with their natural looks and have a healthy self-esteem. It's definitely a turn-on.

And by "natural", I'm not just referring to make-up by the way. I don't like colored or polished nails, I don't like tattoos, I don't like piercings etc.. Jewellery is fine if it's just a little bit (like a ring or a neckless) but I also don't like big earrings and stuff like that. I don't like girls with tans and I don't like girls who put on whitening cream. And I don't like anything else that somehow distorts the natural look. I just want my girl to look the way she was born. She's beautiful that way and I don't see why I'd want her in some artificial way.

Also, I have to disagree with you on the historical comparison. It's not really the same if you paint your face with war-color once in a full moon or you put on modern-day mascara every day. The

• purpose of painting your face in the old days was not just attractiveness. There was also a ritual component to it. You wouldn't do it every day but more like for very special occasions. Oftentimes, it also had a religious component.
      In the modern day, make-up is considered a necessity. It's considered a pre-condition to even have a chance to be judged as pretty. That is something that very much bothers me. And I'm also very much bothered by this whole consumerist, materialistic society this stems from. I want people to say "you look beautiful because your nose has this cute upwards tilt" or "you look hot because your vulva has a really beautiful round shape" or stuff like. I don't want people to say "you look pretty because you managed to look like some pop starlet from a women's magazine".

• extra this or that product to be beautiful or this surgery if anyone is going to like you. That is the sadder part of whole media and magazine thing is that they have convinced a lot of people that they can't be themselves ever.

• Well, I just finished reading your last comments and I also enjoyed this conversation. I don't really have anything to add to what you said and I think it's a nice note to finish it on :-).

What Guys Said 11

• This is such an interesting question. To be honest, I'm "spoiled" by make-up.

There have even been girlfriends I had in the past where I wanted them to keep their make-up on when having sex, I realize what a shallow confession that is, but I fell in love with their face when they had make-up on, I wanted them to keep that when we had sex.

The difficulty to me is that besides an age of make-up, we also live in an age of Photoshop, glamorized photography, etc. We're surrounded by this unnatural aesthetic, and I must admit that I'm as much a victim of it as any other, my idea of beauty is probably going to require make-up for many women.

So currently I'd prefer to live in a world with make-up because of those standards of beauty I've grown accustomed to, few women can meet those wearing no make-up at all.

But it would be even better if we had a world where we could just align our ideas of beauty with something more natural. But I think that'd require getting rid of more than just make-up.

• That's basically getting to it. Guys that like a girl with make-up are going to go for that and those that don't will find themselves an all natural. I don't understand why some guys complain about being lied to. I would hope no one is dumb enough to think that bright red lips and eyeshadow somehow looked natural!

• Basically I end up falling for that analogical girl on the right. Then, in the most intimate time when I'm most excited by her looks, she ends up taking the make-up off, and I end up sleeping with the girl on the left. :-D So it's really shallow, but I kind of wish that she waited until after sex to take the make-up off. A lot of Asian girls do this thing where they want to take it off for sex, and I often find myself disappointed a bit. I don't mind the make-up, I just want it to stay on during the time when their looks are most important to me.

• "I want to see that face I originally fell in love with"

I dont think its that shallow. Thats the face you first saw when you met her and its also the face you probably see the most during the day.

• I would love a world with no makeup. Makeup sucks. Tastes and smells horrible, ages skin prematurely, loaded with chemicals, etc.

• The only problems with makeup are that people are only told they look pretty if they wear that face paint, and become conditioned to believe that they HAVE to wear face paint for people to consider them good-looking. It's quite disappointing, because I personally hate the way it looks.

• Let's go with the contrapositive. Ladies, do you really think men would stop chasing you if you all collectively stopped wearing make up? Answer this, and you know who the make up is really for

• I mean, that's like saying if we required all men to shave their beards, would all ladies stop dating men. Of course not... and that's simply because what other choice would you have. You'll either have something or you'd have nothing. Plus, in your theory, how do you explain lesbians and asexuals who wear make-up?

• I think if you truly like someone, for example, some guy taking out his contacts at the end of the night and revealing he has green eyes instead of blue, is not going to make me suddenly dislike him. That would make me very vain. If you truly feel like you're compatible with someone because you know them on some deeper level, then you deciding not to continue a relationship because they wear make-up, wouldn't really make sense, because make-up generally isn't a surprise. Blue eye shadow... isn't a surprise.

• we talking the same side of the coin. I can make the same case for high heels. Yes, high heels make a woman look sexier. Yes, make up can make a woman look sexier. But, most importantly, if these things failed to exist, We will be just as attracted, just as in love, just as insanely the men we can be, with or without. But, I can tell you as recently as Monday, I did not feel as close to the woman I was with until after we showered, she took off her make up and we were laying there looking at each other, and that's when I fell for her, because I was just WITH her. History is riddled with status tags. 200 years ago, a guy in a powdered wig who could ride a horse and read was the man. Make-up must enhance, but it is not necessary, and should never dominate

• i don´t really care... but if you go so heavy on it to the point, where you look like totally different, then it´s a problem in my opinion.

• To each his own. If a girl wants to douse herself in liquid shit, I won't stop her. Although, I would limit myself from her vicinity.

• I don't think that a girl needs makeup to look sexy but I know that not many others share my opinion.

• No some women need it or actually bring out their beauty.

• Id rather have no makeup. I want to find someone who I'm truly attracted to. I don't want to date somebody and find out once the makeup comes off that I'm not attracted to them anymore. They already know what I look like and they like it so I would like the same in return.

• We don't hate makeup that bad, we just prefer the woman without makeup or with makeup that we cannot notice. I personally don't like the idea of someone painting on a face over their real face.

• To be honest I dont really care about make up. Women are women, doesn't matter if they wear makeup or not. So to be honest, I could easily live in such a world where women dont wear makeup. Not saying that such a world should happen, women can do whatever they want, but if they all decided to stop wearing makeup I wouldn't really care that much. To me makeup is just something women should wear from time to time at important events, never to be overdone, and not an every day thing. Some women look really good with it so I won't say its bad, but an attractive girl is going to be good looking with or without makeup, and an ugly girl is, well still going to be ugly without makeup, so it doesn't really change much. If she wants to wear makeup then great for her, but I would never force my girl to wear it because I dont really have a preference for it either way.

• I'm just imaginging you hovering over her at the sink yelling, "you will wear this blush, here, put this on! I love make-up!" LOL... yeah, no, I don't think you can force someone to wear make-up, but even beyond that, if we're talking an office or important business meeting and such, make-up is almost a part of the uniform for women. To look fresh, and alive, and natural looking, but you know not natural. Even for guys there is a standard in the boardroom that they must uphold. Make-up is just an optional tool of enhancement or beauty. I like it. I've never felt pressured to wear it. It's just fun.