Is it wrong to make your adult child babysit your other kids for free while you work if they don't have a job and are doing nothing all day?

• Yes, it's wrong I would pay them.
  • No, I pay all of the bills for them living. If they don't like it they need to get a job and contribute to thus household
  • Other (comment)

Most Helpful Guy

• I babysat, drove around, and partially raised my little brother when I was in school AND working, and didn't get paid for it. It wasn't a shitty move. It was me being a big brother. Only thing I'd ever ask for was gas money if I had to drive him kinda far.

What Guys Said 5

• What is his age? I did baby sit for a kid of age 2 years, who was just 6yrs younger ( my younger brother) then me , I was 8yrs old and my elder brother was 10yrs, we used to take care of him from morning 10 am to evening 8 pm.
    It was a pretty easy task back then, you just need the kid to have understanding that how to take care of little one, feed nicely and warm ( don't forget to get him to burp) , changing diaper as per need, and not letting young one out of sight, and not leaving it even when it is asleep maintaining silence
    It's a long list...

• No its not. The money it takes to cloth and feed you, wash you and run you places is payment enough. Is it right for an adult to live off another for rent free?

• i see it like this: you donĀ“t pay for anything; you work for free...

• B, definitely not wrong, especially if they're not even looking for work.

• adult child? a teenager?

• A 23 y/o man

• Oh. In that case he should be pushed into getting a job. Babysitting (unpaid) would make him useful for the time being.

What Girls Said 8

• I would ask them after a while if they would want a small amount of money for babysitting until they had a job of their own.

• A 23 year old man living with me with no job can certainly help babysit. I wouldn't pay him.

• Not wrong if they are freeloading in the house. If they are an "adult child" ? Smh, they need to contribute to the family. If they don't want to, get a job and move out.

• There's nothing really wrong with that.
    The only problem is now your older one is at a loss with their own autonomy. Are they allowed to get a job? If they could than maybe I can see where you're coming from. But if they can't and they are willing to work for their own pocket money...

• yes. you're taking advantage of their situation

• No. My mom makes me do it all the time. You shouldn't pay them for it.

• It's not wrong. I wouldn't offer my child a dim for taking care of their siblings.

• I think I read the question wrong. If you don't like it I guess you have to move out.

• its family that's pretty much your responsibility as an older sibling