Do professors who teach without a PhD get looked down on?

At business school (especially the prestigious ones), there are profs without PhDs, especially accounting professors.

How come they're allowed to teach? I don't get it

Most Helpful Guy

• If there is one thing I've learned it's that a fancy degree doesn't make you smart, intelligent in a general sense I've known a few people who have these types of things but yet are idiots. They also don't make you a good teacher/professor the only thing it proves is that you went to a good school and got the education. Which is all anyone cares about now a days.

There are plenty of people who don't have things like PHD's or similar degree's that are better professors then the ones who have them.

And of course just because someone has the knowledge doesn't mean they will make a good teacher. You have to have the drive. the passion the want to explain things and educate your students. So that they don't go out into the world making fools of themselves or their professions, but also so they can carve a better life out for themselves. That's what separates the good teachers from the bad teachers not some silly piece of paper.

Most Helpful Girl

• Because you don't necessarily need a PhD to be a prof, it's just more school and maybe sometimes more knowledge about YOUR own field but not necessarily looked down upon if you don't have one, with PhD degrees, you may have more career choices.. at the same time, you can gain a higher salary thats about it.

What Guys Said 5

• Especially at research institutions, I think they get looked down upon yes. Accounting is such an in-demand field in academia, however so they need people to fill the demand. Since most make a great living in industry, it's like why get a PhD and teach? I only know that based on my experience having graduated in accounting.

Most non-PhD professors are adjunct (contract, part-time positions), non tenure track professorships, teach at non-research institutions, or at junior colleges.

• But one of the professors is working in a prestigious position at a business school AND a professor for Accounting.

This professor has only a bachelors and an MBA (that too from the same University so it's pretty much a repeat of her bachelors).

She's been teaching for some 20 years or something.

I don't get it

• Would you feel comfortable being taught by someone who was less educated than someone with a phd?

• I do agree, I think PhD's are clearly better teachers. I definitely saw that at my uni.

• Usually all the lecturers and tutors at my university have a PhD, MD or in the middle of studying to become those.

• One of the best Chem profs at my college only has a masters in chemistry and education.
    I mean that's not saying much, considering our Chem dpmt, but still.

• you don't need a phd to teach

• Ya dun need a piece of paper to know your Shiz. The truth is in a golden rectangle.

• Actually, a PhD is a legitimate degree and quite difficult to attain if you're looking at the amount of work/years put into it

• Really? Are u in uni already? how many years of school are u looking to pursue?

• Gee golly. With the route I'm taking maybe 15 years.

What Girls Said 2

• i doubt it. a phD doesn't equate to teaching skills anyway. some profs are so good in theory but when it comes to explaining, they are SHITTY AF. I've had that experience. they have the knowledge, but their delivery of it is unbelievable, and u feel like they don't wanna b there.

id rather someone who's actually enthusiastic about their subject content with a sufficient level of knowledge.

• I don't think so, at least not in my uni. For one of my courses, we have a "sessional instructor" who doesn't have his PhD and he's still treated with same respect my profs get.