Who knows how to fix their own car?

• Yes Im pro
  • Yes I can do some things
  • Nah mechanic does it for me
  • I dont even know what a piston is
Bump

Most Helpful Girl

• Well, no. I wish I did though so I wouldn't fear my crappy car breaking down on me all the time without me being able to do anything to fix it.

• What kind of car do you have?

• Toyota Corolla

Most Helpful Guy

• Depends on the problem and the car model, but if it is a simple part replacement or standard maintenace I can pull it off. Unfortunately most modern models are built in such a way that it prevents you from doing anything to your car even if you know what you're doing and you're forced to pay for it.

• What kinda things do you mean when they prevent you?

• All I know is it is a bitch to disassemble. I used to drive a Fiat Tipo and it was a piece of cake compared to newer ones. And if they ban us from working on our own cars than I'm switching to a horse carriage and feed the poor animal lots of beans!

• Lol. I dont think they will make it illegal though. There would be no way to enforce it and making special tools for everything would be ridiculous.

What Girls Said 3

• I know enough to get me out of trouble. But I'm not a pro

• So what kind of things could you do?

• Lol nope

• I can't even fix my stupid hair half the time... what's a piston?

• Lol. Its the part which moves up and down the cylinder bore inside the engine.

What Guys Said 5

• I know absolutely nothing about cars and I also don't care much about them. But that's okay cuz I also don't drive or own one ;-).

• I'm clueless about cars haha. I can change a flat tire, and point to the radiator. That's it haha. It's easier to just pay and have mechanics fix it.

• As long at it doesn't involve the drive train, I can probably do it. I'm pretty good at diagnosing most problems, but less so at actually fixing them. I always wind up bleeding. So I leave that to a mechanic.

• mechanic for over 20 years but i have to admit that there are some things i cannt do, do the lack of tools. example is if the tools will cost 1/2 of what it cost of the repair i usually take it to someone, because by the time you ad parts and down time its cheeper and faster.

• What kind of tools dont you have?

• Yeah i know i wanted a scanner but theyre really expensive. And then you have to figure out all the connectors for obd1 obd2 for differnt model cars.

• All OBD 1 are all different OBD2 is the standard connector for all cars. but there is also a Change that was made about 2006. And needed a newer scanner that allowed 2way communication. that CAN adapter for the older scanner was another 1000.00 from snap on and only extended the scanners use 2 years

• I can do some things.