Do you know anyone with autism, or any other disabilities?

Can you share something about them that you have noticed?

Example: maybe he or she concentrates a lot while eating or something.

Most Helpful Guy

• Well, I have been born with a disability myself but it's a physical disability, not a mental one.
    However, I do know a guy with autism. He's actually sort of a member of my family because he's my little sister's boyfriend. It's hard to explain it in details or to pinpoint it to certain situations (there are a lot of them) but when you know him, you can tell that something is "wrong". I think to outsiders he just appears as really weird guy that you wouldn't want to hang out with. For example he doesn't really a feeling for social situations. Sometimes he thinks something is really funny that nobody else finds funny and he laughs in this reeeally loud, creepy psycho-laugh. I don't think it's something he can control. Or sometimes he just says something really weird or creepy in the middle of a dinner conversation that has literally nothing to do with anything said in that conversation. For example one time he just yelled out of the blue "Oh wow! So cool! Today is Hitler's birthday!" Because we know he has autism, we understand that what seems random for us isn't random for him. Somehow he picks up stuff during a conversation that other people wouldn't pick up, he would make some twisted connections to something else in his mind and when he says it out loud, it sounds stupid or creepy but in his head it all makes perfect sense.
    But perhaps the two most obvious aspects of his autism are that he can't detect feelings and he doesn't understand irony or sarcasm. So on the one hand, he doesn't get facial expressions. For example when somebody smiles he doesn't intuitively get what this means. Or if somebody gets loud and screams, he doesn't get that this person is angry. He rationally knows it because he has learned it by heart but he doesn't actually FEEL it. The other thing is that in my culture, we use quite a lot of irony and sarcasm (and perhaps even more so in my family). Unfortunately, he doesn't get those comments and he instead takes everything at face value. For example if somebody who's obviously really overweight would say "I think it's awesome how fit I am. I clearly resemble David Hasselhoff in Baywatch!" He would reply something like "I don't think so. I think you're really fat. You should lose some weight." (he also doesn't the idea of being implicit. Everything he says is extremely blunt and honest).

• So these kind of remarks sometimes make me want to shake him so and yell "IT WAS A JOKE DUDE!" but we know him well, so we learned to live with it :-). I guess sometimes it can also be cute. He tends to be our little Sheldon.

Most Helpful Girl

• My cousin has autism. Unfortunately for her it's the more severe type considering she can't really talk or really do anything for herself. She makes sounds but the only real word she knows how to say is momma. Somehow she picked that up. She's completely dependent on my aunt and she has a habit of getting out of control and smacking people really hard. You got to be on the defense all the time with her cz if you get hit once you're gonna do whatever it takes not to get hit again.

What Guys Said 4

• I think I know myself pretty well. We tend to have very intense interests in thing most normal people don't care about.

• Can you give an example?

• My intense interests in supernatural things like vampires and witchcraft. It can be hard to find others who like similar things.

• Yeah me lol

• I know 2 people with autism, 1 with severe medically diagnosed OCD, and 1 with ADHD.

• I'm incredibly thick if that counts for anything.

What Girls Said 2

• My cousin's son is high functioning autistic.

They cut gluten out of his diet and it seems to have made him less... spaztic.

He's really interested in ceiling fans for some reason.

• I know this one autism kid at my old school who was so smart. He'd always say random facts about everything.