Does anyone ever feel like they are being held back by something?

For me its my family. I am an adult, yet I feel like a caged bird because of my obligations to my sick parents.
I always felt as if my life is just a fraction of what it could be if I had absolute freedom.
I'd travel more, experience everything. My biggest dream is to backpack across Europe with my girlfriend... but I feel like that won't happen with my parents always holding me back.
What do you guys think is holding you back and why?

What Girls Said 0

What Guys Said 3

• Not enough money in the bank account, but I'm working on that!

It's good that you're loyal to your family and are there for your parents when they need you, just like I would bet they were there when you needed them. That's what family is all about, and while I totally can understand the frustration of having that added responsibility, you should be proud that your family bonds are strong enough and that your priorities are FAMILY FIRST.
    I have no idea what their/your situation is, or how long you will need to care for them, but sometimes life requires sacrifice, and I'm sure that your parents really appreciate your being there for them.

Hopefully you can find a way to take care of your family, while also being able to live your own life before you get old as well. Do you have any siblings? Aunts / uncles? Someone who could take over for you for a week or two so that you could get a chance to take your Europe vacation (even if it's abbreviated?)

You sounds like a responsible, mature, and caring guy... Kudos to you, and good karma your way!

• Thanks. And nope it's just me and my parents.
      Which is nice but also bad too. They both are older in age (had me pretty late in life).
      I love my parents dearly but sometimes I sit back and think, I wanna see something more then this little town in Louisiana. There is more out there then this.

• Is their illness anything that they will recover from, or is it more to do with aging and no way to reverse/fix it?
      And not to be depressing or morbid, but is it something where there's a finite amount of time left, or is this something where they could be around another 30, 40 years possibly?

I feel for you regardless... My mom took care of her mother for the last 20-30 years of her (my grandmas) life, and it was a full time job during the last several years. I felt like my dad suffered the most, since they could never go out and do things as a couple.
      But at the end of the day, it's your family. They're your parents, they're the reason why you're here to begin with. Sometimes life is about compromise and sacrifice for those who you love, and at the end of the day, I think it's a sacrifice worth making.
      Try and make the best of it, find things you CAN do while still being there for them, don't give up on your dreams either. Good luck bro! You're a good guy.

• Guess it depends on what I'm being held back from. I have a lot of dreams and aspirations and hopes. The ones being held back are due to a variety of things - fear of failure, laziness, economics, being indoctrinated to think I'm still 8 years old by my dad, etc lol

• you are holding yourself back and you are using your parents as an excuse