Does white privilege exist?

Please explain

• Yes
  • No

Most Helpful Guy

• white privelage doesn't exist so much as it is racial profiling. i can go on about this, but i'll leave this here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niR0xHfnzNo

of course this is an extreme case, but you get the jist. and not every cop is like that, obviously as seen here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NE4ulETPRBI

the point being that while i don't think white privelage exists in the context of whites benefiting, it's more so that other races, like blacks are being still profiled and stereotyped. whether it's conscious or subconscious is up for debate. i mean even look at the rooney rule in the nfl. says that when a new position opens for head coach, at least 1 minority has to be interviewed. while it helps get their foot in the door, we haven't seen more minority coaches in the nfl. and even in most cases, it has worked the opposite. hue jackson, the new coach of the browns just got his 2nd gig after being fired 8 years ago from the raiders after only working for 2 years right after the jamarcus russell era (the biggest bust in nfl history). meanwhile, chip kelly, who many have claimed to be a racist, and set the eagles back to the stone age got his next gig a long grueling week after being fired unserimoniously with the 49ers. or the fact that somehow, ron rivera, as of last year, became the 1st hispanic head coach in the nfl... it only took almost 50 years... and we still haven't seen an Asian coach to be found

Most Helpful Girl

• Well white people do happen to get away with crimes they commit and if they don't get away with it they aren't shot down and killed... Just saying.

Like that kid that was wanted by the police he stole the car and drove off to Mexico did the cops do a high speed chase and shoot the car and cut him off every angel? No and then to make it worse his parents had the nerve to say he doesn't know right from as an excuse.

Amd then all of the cops that keep pulling the trigger or even if they aren't shooting they're being too aggressive and they're still getting away with it like the cop that continued to keep that black man in a chokehold when he clearly said he couldn't breathe. Or the cop that flipped the girl and the desk over just because she wouldn't give up her phone when he could've handled that better. Or how about the cop that pent a girl down to the ground hurting her because some racist people called the cops complaining when she was invited to the party and it wasn't even there party and they were just guest.

Do white people have provileges? Yes they do but I can't even say anything because although I'm black I have privileges to beciase I'm "light skinned". Women have privlages becuase of their body/appearance. Men have privlages becuase they're men/dominat. It's just the way things work 😕

What Guys Said 28

• Not anymore, no. My mother grew up in a shitty trailer park, getting her ass beat everyday, digging in trash cans for food and begging on the street, starving. I can't begin to explain the trials that I have been through in my life, with no help from so-called "white privilege". Lived a day in my life back when I was growing up, and you would never think of "white privilege". People tend to forget that there are white people in ghettos, too. Maybe not as many, but there only needs to be one to disprove the rule that "*all* white people are privileged."

There are mostly--in America--white people who are ultra privileged. However, to extend that to include an *entire race* is simply racism.

I will tell you one thing though. A black guy named Tony that worked under my dad got in fights with people all the time. He worked for the city and he flipped off citizen car drivers. Was he fired? Nope. Why? Well, because he was black, and they needed to keep black people on the payroll via affirmative action. If you want to talk about privilege, that is a pretty obvious one. Am I against it? Not necessarily, no. It's unequivocal that the black population is the most poor. But if you talk about privilege, let's talk about all privilege.

It isn't "white" privilege that exists. It's rich privilege. Most of the rich are white. however, 76% of the country is white, so if we want to be exact, then 13% of the rich population should be black to show an accurate example of where privilege is. I'm sure it's not that high, but I don't know. But, in my opinion, that is white privilege as a result of white privilege from long, long ago. It does not extend to the white populace these days and does not qualify as present privilege.

Then there's the idea that white privilage is that white people are treated better by other white people. Given the population is 76% white, this is just common sense, to me. And even then, I don't see it often. Don't black people generally give black people more comfort and familiarity? Don't Asian people treat Asian people better? It's simply the familiar and the known. You think white people get treated better in Africa? No. What about China? You think the Chinese or Russians would treat a black American the same as they would treat a native Chinese person?

That does not account for "privilege", in my opinion. Though you could call it that, it's not exactly great privilege.

Ultimately, it depends on what you mean by "white privilege"?

• To a certain extent, it probably does.
    It doesn't meant that a white persons life is automatically easy or better off than every black person. It just means if every other aspect of their lives (economic background, health, family life, ect) is the same, then the white person would be slightly better off since he's less likely to be stereotyped of discriminated against.

However its very rare that you will be able to determine that every other aspect of two peoples lives are identical and then objectively determine that ones life is easier than the others.

So really I don't see what labeling one person as privileged really accomplishes.

I think people talk about privilege way more than they should. Its like a competition nowadays, who is the biggest victim. Different groups of people will adamantly claim that they are the most victimized group. It becomes tiring to listen to after a while.

• Legally, it ended with the Civil Rights Act of 1964. Over the preceding centuries, white privilege literally existed because being classified as "white" qualified immigrants for citizenship. Many court cases were centered around determining whether or not people of certain ethnic backgrounds were considered white. Why? Because of white priveledge that was codified by law.

Now, we just live with the lingering aftermath.

• i1.kym-cdn.com/.../f56.jpg

On a serious note - everyone has privileges in one way or another. And everyone has people who are above them with their privilege. So is life, deal with it. The point is not that people might have privilege, but that too many people cry a river. Life isn't fair, but everyone has the tools to make the best out of it.

• Where's the Worst Opinion Ever option?

• Hahaha you just proved my point...

• @violettasanchez

The only point I proved is that you are clearly incapable of engaging in a mature discussion. Stay childish, I will not waste my time on you anymore.

• Somebody else asked a similar question and I'll answer now as I did then. Yes, white privilege does exist. Why? Because whether most people like hearing it or not, what many consider to be the greatest country in the world today was started when white men decided that things like rape, murder, kidnapping and other nefarious acts weren't going to get between them and what they perceived their destiny to be. Has it diluted to some extent over the generations? Of course it has, but it still exists. And why shouldn't it?

• What if it does?
    Even if I play along to this crap, and say I'm priviledged, so what? The sea didn't part, the ground didn't shake.
    "Priviledge" is the most ridiculous, pointless, white-guilt bullshit that the so-called social justice warriors have come up with yet.

• No. It's just an excuse for people to victimize themselves. While I agree there is still racial problems here in the US, to claim I have some sort of special privilege because I'm white is just asinine.

http://i.imgur.com/cE7GvGW.jpg

• Not going to deny it, it's deeply ingrained into society now. You can deny it but it's there.
    The laws may have been signed out of practice but the repercussions are still being felt today.. It's just what happens when something is allowed to run rampant for two fucking centuries.

• I believe it does, but I doubt life is automatically rainbows and unicorns because you're white

It just means you're probably MORE LIKELY to be hired and taken seriously (assuming the same qualifications), as opposed to having to prove yourself moreover

• No. In fact the only people that have institutional racisim work for them are non-whites. Special access to college of you are black, jobs have preference for blacks and so do promotions. And in some places like Florida they will increase your grades if you are black or hispanic but not of you are white or Asian.

• using the term "white privilege" is only so the user can tear down another person. diminish their accomplishments simply because of race. That itself is inherently racist. Ergo using the term white privilege is a racist term

• yes. you can take sociology to learn about it and psychology to see how damaging and unhappy it makes certain groups of people feel.

• I think less today than before, but there is definitely a distinction between classes of people based upon their earnings.

• I don't know considering there's affirmative action.

• Yep, and it feels great!

• nope

• The gender distribution for those answers is interesting. I wonder what it means?

• Why are Asians better off than Whites on average then?

• White people are more attractive, are more employable due to their better communication skills, are perceived as more intelligent due to inventing the most stuff, and people have more sympathy for whites.

• No everyone gets discriminated against for some reason just because someone is white doesn't mean they haven't been in some way discriminated against in some way or another.

• No, only genetic failures that can't find a problem in themselves exist.

• That's pretty ambiguous. Knowing you, it's probably racist tho.

• @BangBadBxtches I frankly can't find a single fuck to give about someone accusing me of racism.

• Obviously you found one if you felt the need to reply, silly.

• Breatheme19 was white. She treated me like a toy. I'm guessing my skin color had something to do with it.

• not so much white privilege
    but people look at skin color differently

• Yeah, I'd say so

• I'm white and I have zero privileges... where are they?

• Define.

Legal rights that only apply for white people? Nah.

Does society have different expectations and assumptions? Absolutely.
    Extra privileges? Not sure. I mean, if you're white and gay, then yes. You're immune and get a "get out of jail" free-card, for straight people? I don't think there's a lot of them.

White people compared to black people tend to have a marginally easier time getting hired by small-time private companies owned by white people, black people in turn tend to near exclusively hire black people. This disappears entirely to the point of reversing the larger the company and the higher the demand on skill gets since there's racial quotas etc to be filled (actual legally enforced privileges).

I guess my point here is that legally white people, men especially, are the least privileged group. In reality and outside of the law you often face nicer assumptions if you're white than black.

• Well, it depends where we're talking about.

I voted yes, taking a broad north American perspective.

That said, i think white privilege is pretty small, what's more material in the u. s. at least is a black penalty. White privilege versus Asians is pretty minor.

Black penalties are pretty obvious dealing with police and the criminal justice system. For another example, look at the settlements in the last decade over 'ghetto loans'.

• Maybe in an all white company

What Girls Said 8

• yes it does but thats not to say every white person has it easier than every non white person and it shouldn't be used to blame white people. it is a sensitive topic and should be spoken about with sensitivity. i c it as simply describing a current situation based on recent history and how things play out if you make everything else equal between two people except their race.

• my American history class had one unit at the very end called 'minority voices' and fit in every black, Asian, native American chapter in a week lmao..
    it exists in predominantly white places yeah, but not in other places, come to the somali boonies y'all... experience no white privilege loll

• As much as I hate to admit that this is still an issue, it really is. It's getting better, but we need to try to fix it.

• he have more racist toward white than privilege

• No. Now if you are a white male you are a racist apparently.

• White Privilege 101

1. Attacking black history month and asking for a white history month
    2. Asking why we don't teach white history in school
    3. Committing the same crime as a minority without exiting in a body bag
    etc.

• Please tel me you are kidding about number two... Like I can't even fathom if you're serious about that. I really can't 😒

• @DivaMonae Nope. I see people post that all the time on other social sites like Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.

• Some of the things often associated with "white privilege" are actually "upper middle class privilege"

... If you were raised in that environment, have a family that emphasizes education, live in a good school district, learned (without being taught... just from being around) to speak and dress in a way that wealthier people tend to do, have enough money to have a car and insurance, etc. You often do better.

But there are lots of white people who don't have these things, either. Wide swaths of them are living out in "white trash America" where poverty, drug abd alcohol abuse, failing schools, lack of education on numerous topics, etc are common.

Darrell from the trailer park and Durrell from the hood have much in common.

• I have heard it does but honestly I've never been given any rewards for being white. Just because I'm white I don't get the job before a black or other race person, just because I'm white I'm not rich and I don't have everything I ask/want.