For Americans, what's with that southerner flag?

Why is it so controversial? I know some racists use it, from what I've seen online. But i have seen other people saying it's not racist, they aren't racist they're just southern and like the flag because it's the southern flag.
So what's up with it, why or why isn't it racist?

Most Helpful Guy

• I'm not American but I think the controversy is this:
    People who claim it is not racist do so on the grounds that it's simply a flag of a historical period of time in US-American history. Like, just because you think the southern states are cool and perhaps you're in favor of political secession doesn't make you a slavery-supporter.
    On first sight, this reasoning makes sense.
    However, the problem with this is that the secession happened almost exclusively because of slavery. Sure, the north and the south already had some other fights before that but the question of whether slavery should be legal or not was about 90% of the reason southern states eventually split of from the United States. So, in fact, the flag that represents southern states and secession is directly connected to slavery and that is why some people (including myself) would call it racist.
    Take the swastika as comparison. Sure, you can say that Hitler also did some good stuff, such as building highways and getting rid of unemployment. Some people even go to the rather ridiculous argument that the Swastika is originally Buddhist and meant "peace". While both of these arguments are correct, they totally miss the point. When you see the Swastika, you don't think of Buddhism or cool highways. You think of the holocaust, Nazi imperialism, the war etc.. This is why hanging up the red-white-black Swastika is very much racist and antisemitic. It's not just a random symbol anymore, it carries a distinct meaning. And this is also why in Germany, the flag is not even controversial, it's simply illegal. Hanging up the Swastika in Germany can get you a very heavy fine (several thousand Euros). And there's a pretty good reason for that.

Most Helpful Girl

• Confederate flag=KKK

What Guys Said 12

• Well it's the flag that the southern states used during the civil war and as you may know there were quite a few reasons for the war but on of them was slavery, in the south slavery was continuing while the north had stopped it. So if you raise that flag even if you say it just stands for southern "traditions" and "values" or whatever the reasons are that they give you can see why it's a big deal. I'm from Switzerland and when I first found out about the fact that a lot of people still had the confederate flag, my first question was:" But weren't they fighting to continue slavery? And nobody really gave me a good answer to that question. Thy said yes but they don't really mean it that way. But you can't separate a flag from something so central to its meaning. Flags are symbols they stand for something and this one doesn't stand for something good so that's why people don't like it.

• The flag itself isn't racist, but many racist people used it. Those under that flag supported slavery back in the day, so many associate the flag as racist.

• "The flag itself isn't racist"

Hahahahaha well, no one's really debating whether the piece of cloth is racist...

• Hahahaha look, I know the truth is uncomfortable sometimes, but whatever, time to deal with it.

• @violettasanchez I don't know why it would make me uncomfortable, I'm not even American xD but thanks for the laugh :*

• Tearin down a dirt road , Rebel flag flyin, Coon dog in the back and if you got a problem with that. You can kiss my country ass

• It represents a fierce pride more than anything, A pride a lot of people just can't stand Southerners having.
    And of course, afro-centrics and pro-black individuals will oppose it on principle.

• Roll tide son

• @Other_tommy_wiseau that was same shit y'all said about Coker when he transferred from fsu, see where he at now lmao and why not pussy

• @Polocrew hey, we were still young. we got this this year... again, if we don't get suspended. fucked up my lower back, quad problems, partially torn acl and mcl in both my knees, 3 craked bones in my right foot and 2 in my left ankle. also, being lazy is better.

• because it's synonymous with the confederate states of america, which were for the preservation of black slavery.

• it in of itself isn't racist in that it doesn't represent racism. it more represents southern pride. most white people will tell you that and it's true, but many negate the fact that although that it may not have a racial connotation, it was used as a representation of life back in the 1800's where slavery was prevalent, and in some ways encouraged.

• Flags are symbols. A lot of Southerners view it with pride as a representation of Southern heritage. And then you have a lot of people who see it as racist. Since flags are symbols, I don't think either viewpoint is wrong. I'm from New England, so I don't particularly care. I already have a flag. It's called the American flag.

• Because it's a symbol of oppression. It's our swastika.

• It's a symbol of southern heritage. No different than the queer pride flag. The southerners are proud of their roots, and the queers are proudly of what they are.

• It depends on the person, they would give different reasons I am sure.

• Why don't you just read a history book or Google it?

• Because i wanted real peoples opinions

• Same as the Nazis

• It was a confederate battle flag during the civil war.

It was then forgotten about for a long time, before being brought back into use during the civil rights era as a pushback against civil rights being pushed onto the south from the federal level.

It was then used by some other groups as a generic 'southern pride' type thing, and slapped on generic, whitewashed but not explicitly racist stuff like the dukes of hazard or whatever.

There are definitely (white) people who intend to use it just a a symbol of regional pride, but both the original and more recent history of the flag are heavily linked to racist policies.

What Girls Said 0