Do you regret your teenage years/younger life?

I look back at myself between the ages of 13 and 17 and I never had a life, I never went out, never went to parties, never dated.

It keeps me awake at night. I never really had a teenage life and I still don't get out enough at the age of 20.

They say teenage years are the best years of your life.. but I never had them.

I didn't have many friends at school and the ones I did have I don't even talk to because they changed.

All I feel is nothing but anguish and regret.

Most Helpful Girl

• Did you stay at school? Achieve anything?

I did some messed up stuff that I am truly not proud of in my teenage years. I remember all of my friends graduating and there I was- homeless, taking drugs, had been pregnant at one point, felt so insecure in my own skin and had accomplished nothing. How I wished I had just behaved and not bothered with boys and adventure that got me into nothing but trouble. Those years flew by and all I would have had to do is try to enjoy it for hope of a better future.

Nowdays I am a proud mother, had my first kid at 23, second at 25 and I am engaged. Although I wouldn't go back and change a thing knowing I wouldn't have the family I have now, I still struggle to get a decent job or be taken seriously when I apply for uni as a mature aged student because I have to say that my highest level of education is grade 9.

Please be grateful for having the courage and the brain to stick with school. Teenage years aren't the best years to party and have sex. Your early 20s are! Get the best education you can, make new friends and enjoy still being young!

Most Helpful Guy

• Well, I wish I had focused more on my education. I wound up having to make up for that later on. I didn't party much, but don't regret that. I suppose I could have dated more. I had two girlfriends, and both of those relationships lasted years, effectively devouring a rather large portion of my teenagehood. I paid for that in my early twenties since I didn't learn to relate to women in terms of flirting.

I would say that college and getting out of college were my favorite times of life. Most people my age seem to think this is true.

It's OK that you feel some regret, but I wouldn't let it consume you. The question is, now that you have realized your mistakes, what's next? What do you intend to do?

What Girls Said 14

• Good god almighty. <-- that is to be read with a Morgan Freeman voice. Just to be clear. Lol.

You're still so young, you were still a teenager last year !
    Regret or whatever is literally the most pointless emotion, you can't change it. You can only learn from it.

If you think you don't get out enough and that you're gonna be in your 30s looking back regretting your twenties, THAT is what you can change and prevent.

Throw yourself out of your comfort zone, change your own destiny or whatever.
    But there's no point looking bad on your past, what's done is done.

• Wise beyond her years, this one. Very well said.

I would argue, however, that when an emotion motivates you to change, such an emotion isn't "literally the most pointless emotion," since it served as an impetus to better one's self.

• @Bluemax Well thank you! :-)
      That is a very good point, I officially retract my statement haha.

• Nope! Not one bit. My past made me who I am today and I love the person I am because of it. If you feel this way make something of your time now don't waste another decade and hit 50 deciding that you should start questioning "I am alive or just living?" Don't be one of those people to just pay bills and die. You're 20 kid start now while you're still young. There's no better time than the present. 20/21 is when I stopped making excuses for myself and did something about my problems. 😎 I haven't looked back yet. I only have 3 regrets. 1.) Not applying myself as much in class. I thought I was smarter than everyone and school was a waste because ik everything. 2.) Falling in love/wasting time with a f*** boy for year's and 3.) Losing prom queen by 2 votes😠😡 I should have eliminated the competition a week prior lol. Only you can change your situation. Do it now start with something small and watch everything else fall into place👌

• look, u r idealizing a vision of what certain years of ur life were "supposed" to be like. u know, a lot of hte people u thought had the life really didn't. there's more to people than what they choose to show. and for some, the good times ended in he teens cuz they didn't get serious. u r young. try to find the courage to let go of the past and give urself a fresh start. i think the 20s are gonna be hte best years cuz u discover urself and make something of urself and find love this decade. or at least u start this journey into adulthood. cheer up, u can turn so much around.

• You still have time to party so don't waste your fucking time.

Mom and I go to clubs once in a while because she didn't have teen years.

If you don't wanna be like my mom. GET DRUNK RIGHT FUCKING NOW.

• No. I accomplished a lot when I was younger. I didn't party much, but was driven and knew what I wanted to achieve.

• Yeah I was a punk lol!

• #Preach

Thank you I waisted my years and imwsure many of you will say I'm still a teen... Well I'm waisting these years as well.

GAG is the highlight of my life -_-

• No. I miss it though, I was a good teen. I miss HS and living with my parents as-well as my old friends and crushes haha

• Nope, I don't regret any parts of my life. I have disliked or even hated certain parts of it, though.

• It is my last year when I am teenager and the only thing I regret is that I haven't done even more crazy things.

• I regret my younger years very very much but not for the same reasons... it isn't worth it though.

• U were a BABY. I've felt the same b4, but... can't U get out now?

• If you're feeling this much anguish, I'd suggest (nicely) to see a therapist. I've seen one myself, so I don't mean that in a judgy way.

The only thing I regret about my younger years is not doing so sooner. Not because I missed the only chance for happiness (not true), but because I perpetuated needless suffering and self loathing.

• No, I don't regret my teenage years.

What Guys Said 13

• Yes, I had a really bad childhood and teen life. I was bullied and ridiculed a lot, which continued even into my early 20s. Thankfully, things are much better now.

• Nope I had a great childhood I mean I had a lot of rough and sometimes downright hell like and awful times but I had good friends to, good honest friends, that now even now remember me as their best friend growing up and are happy to see me.

My teen years weren't bad I mean I went through a time of horrible depression and suicide thoughts/attempt but I worked though it and it helped me become who I am today. I had a lot of good times to, I dated a pair of sisters, finished high school started, body building and have had a good life so far.

You just have to look back on the bad times you've had or the things you've regretted and say to yourself this will not be me in the future. And make the most out of the time you got ahead of you.

• Nah, man. You're below the drinking age, meaning the real show hasn't even started yet. You got plenty of time. I was the same as you as a teenager and I don't regret it in the least. The thing about regret is you have to think about how you were and what was going on *at the time.* At the time, I didn't want to do those things. No reason to sweat it now.

Besides, as I mentioned, the 20s are WAY better than the teenage years in more ways than I can name. Really, you've got plenty of time.

• I live in the UK, 18 is the legal age. I do go to the bar once a month

• Ah, alright. Guess I should have looked. Still though, I hope it doesn't sound condescending, but 20 is really young. Lots of party years ahead of you if that's what you're after.

• If I have any teenage regrets it's the fact that I didn't get out more. My idea of fun was having video game tourneys with my friends and reading comic books. I still love those things but I wish I dated more when I was younger. I wish I cut loose on a few occasions. If I could go back in time I'd probably do things the same way though.

• Your teens sound very much like my own, except I didn't read comic books (though God knows my friends did).

Your "exploits" might provide fodder for any future wife to tease you about, in a good natured way. They sure did in my case.

Out of curiosity, did you ever get involved in war gaming? Turned based strategy? That sort of thing?

• I tell ya, these kids today...

;)

• This is literally what I did.. just play Halo. 😂

• Those years were pure he'll to me

• Mind if I ask how so?

• @Bluemax aircraft mechanic for Gulfstream Aerospace

• Awesome.

• Dude, try not to worry about it. Life does go on. You sound a lot like me, haha. I haven't had a proper social life during those years and I still don't. I've always heard more people say that college years are the best years actually. I'm still in school so hopefully going to college will change that.

Don't let these thoughts get ya down. Just remember a lot of the most socially active people out there have the biggest drama in their lifetimes!

• I feel the exact same way :(

• I would ask you the same final two questions I posed to the asker.

• fourteen was fun

fifteen was ok

sixteen sucked

seventeen was world class

eighteen has potential to be better than 17, but I barely see my friends so...

• sounds like it's time to change this trend. seriously, don't waste your twenties like i did. i doesn't really bother me but i know i missed out on a lot.

• If I could go back I would of been friends with different people and tried harder in school and gig my GED and opened a restaurant at 16

• I was pretty similar during my teenage years, but I don't regret them.

• I want to be 17 years old :/

• The best years of my life were from 19-22 when I was a bachelor student on college.

However, from 12-15. Yeah I do regret those years. A lot.
    Unlike OP I did go out and I did do stuff.
    However I was an edgelord.
    I was an asshole.
    I had aggression problems.(Now I am pretty diplomatic)
    I was an asshole.
    I had aggression problems, beat some people up.
    And the worst of all I even associated myself with far-right nationalistic political ideologies.(Luckily now I have become a leftie)

How ****** up was that?