Should there be an academic qualification folk have to pass before being allowed to vote in an election?

Is it fair my vote is worth the same as someone else's who may not understand the issues?

• NOT everyone should be allowed to vote.
  • Everyone should be allowed to vote regardless of intelligence.

Most Helpful Guy

• While that idea sounds good in theory it was tried in practice in the US during the 1800s, usually in the form of a literacy test, specifically to stop children of immigrants, and freed slaves from being able to vote, but ironically if you or your parents could vote before the laws were passed (read you were white-Anglo) you were exempt.

What sounds like a good idea on paper, is in reality, unenforceable, and presents a golden opportunity for voter suppression, usually of poor people, and ethnic minorities. Plus there is only punishment here, even if it does work how will people become more educated on the issues? Really the best and only way is to improve the educational system, and the incredibly polarized media system we have.

Most Helpful Girl

• NOT everyone should be allowed to vote. Some people are stupid as a mug! lol

What Guys Said 9

• I think so. Because I believe that those who don't have the academic qualification vote based on different criteria and implicitly, their standards are low. Some people may just vote based on influence and whatnot while those who have the academic qualification are fully aware of the platform of each candidate. I may sound overgeneralizing but it's just so true.

• Well, that IS what was used against blacks in the South for discrimination, but then again there are just SO MANY IDIOTS

• hark at you political expert.. be calling you maggie next

• Even if 99% of academics syllabus has nothing to do with politics.. Sure.

• The thing with public policy is it affects the entire public.
    So no, I don't think that's a good idea at all.

• They live in the same country so they have a right to vote cause who the president is will affect them just as much as you.
    Also, part of the problem they have a low academic qualification is the system's.

• Everyone deserves a voice and a right to vote for the leader of their own country.

• In the U. S. that would go against the constitution so I guess there shouldn't be

• Yea and you would fail...

What Girls Said 2

• No becuase everyone deserves a vote. Who becomes president affects everyone and more than likely the people that are well educated will vote for the candidate that will benefit gem and only them and don't do much for the unfortunate.

Voting in the election has always been this way and should continue to be this way. Everyone deserves a vote as long as you're a citizen.

• I don't think that limiting the voting pool to the middle/upper class citizens who can afford an education will really address the issues needing to be addressed in this country.