How was moving out of your parents house?

How old were you? How much were your rent and utilities? Did you live alone? If you lived alone did you successfully make it to where you didn't have to move back with your parents? Tips on taking care of laundry? How much money did you save up before you moved? Any knowledge, advice, and this included will be extremely helpful!

Most Helpful Guy

• The trick to successfully making it in your own place, is to make a budget and stick to it.

My first place the rent was $600 and month, I knew the put side $150 a week for rent. Utilities, land line phone was $14 a month, electricity was about $60 a month.

Where I found I was wasting money, was that I would buy restaurant food. Once I stated to grocery shop, and started cooking for myself. it gave me extra money.

I have always been a saver, I had a few thousand in the bank before I moved out on my own. I also kept a minimum of 3 months rent, utility and grocery money in the bank, to cover losing my job or getting sick once I was on my own.

The best advice I can give you, is to stick to a budget and save a bit for a rainy day. Even if it is $20 a week. that will add up at the end of the year. Don't let friends become free loaders, and never borrow from your rent money thinking you will pay it back. It is better to be broke at home for a week or too, as long as your bills are paid and you have food in the house. Not being able to go out and party or shop, is not the end of the world.

Most Helpful Girl

• I was 18 and moved across the country to go to a new college. It was fine, I already went down there prior to moving on my own to find an apartment and set things up. Since I was a student living near the campus, I paid about $750 a month for rent and utilities. I had about $12k saved up before I moved down there.

I lived alone at first, then my boyfriend moved in temporarily. After 10 months I kicked him/broke up with him and lived alone for the duration of my college years. I got some job offers during my last year of uni, so I had money and am still living in my own home. For laundry, I had my own washing and dryer in my apartment. Not all do, so you might have to go to a laundry mat or sometimes apartment complexes might have them near the office.

If you know what you want, I would save up as much as you can before moving. Being organized with your finances is crucial. Don't be house poor they say, but try to find a safe area. You need to know how much water, gas (for both home and vehicle), internet, electricity, food, etc. costs in a week and month. There is a lot of responsibility living on your own.

• I too plan on moving out at 18 years old. I plan on going to college while having an apartment and living by myself. Very helpful! Thank you!

• No problem! Good luck :)

• Thank you!

What Guys Said 16

• My dad kicked me out after I graduated because he wanted to start dating and bring girls home and wanted me out. He is very selfish and this didn't surprise me at all. So I was 18 and I found an apartment near my work that cost 895 and only required 200 dollar deposit. I moved out with my girlfriend but I payed all the bills. Yeah we made it just fine. It was easier than people think. Everything was going great until Obama care came in and my work cut my hours to be under 30 so they didn't have to provide health insurance. This was a major problem because I relied on the over time to make rent. So I had to think fast and ended up selling drugs to get by until I found a new job. Pretty much all apartments have a laundry area with coin operated washers and dryers but this got expensive fast so I ended up finding a washer and dryer used on Craigslist for cheap and bought it that saved me a ton of money and trips back and forth for laundry. get and apartment on the top floor otherwise you will be driven insane by your upstairs neighbors walking around.

• Yep obamacare is AWFUL. I can't find one job that gives over 20-30hrs a week. .

• @KawaiiPie67 yeah it's fucking stupid. Like did that retard running our country really think they would just give us health care? Fuck no the just hire more people and cut everyone's hours in half

• I moved into a house with two of my friends. Rent is pretty cheap, about 400 a month. It's a pretty good setup. The only problem is one of the guys lives (and works) in the basement, which is where the washer and dryer are, so if you're an early riser or you get home late (both of which are true for me) and you want to get that stuff knocked out, you'll have to wait.

• I was 18 and going off to university residence. From there I lived in a privately owned student house, then a shared house, then my own apartments.

Laundry? Make sure your place has a laundry room or is close to a laundromat. Simple as that.

Rent and utilities? If you look around, a lot of apartments include those in your rent.

• I was 18. Moved into a dorm at my college. My parents basically paid all my bills so I'm not actually sure what it cost.

I just got my own apartment though which I pay for. My rent is $1000, utilities $500 maybe, including cable and wifi. Laundry, I just have a huge trash can in my closet that I drop dirty clothes in. When the trash can gets full I wash everything and hang it on the balcony to dry. It's a simple system really. Before I moved to my apartment I saved $5000 and my parents gave me $5000. Most of that went on decorating, furnishing and a new car to be honest, I could've done it with $3000 easily.

A few tips. Don't let friends crash indefinitely. Don't eat anywhere but the kitchen (crumbs on the sofa/bed suck, but also to make washing up easier since the crockery is all in one place rather than scattered about your apartment). Don't smoke anything inside. And don't, ever, put food in the microwave with the fork still in. It goes bang.

• Haha, nice tips! I plan on living by myself, moving out at 18 too, and going to college. How were you able to keep up with the rent? Thats pretty high.

• Wow, you're lucky! Haha.

• Dayum. 2000 a month. My rent for the entire year is only about 3,000. Whoooo, wish I had well off parents :'''''o

• Moving out at 19 to a new timezone, and learning how to be out of my comfort zone was one of the best things I ever did!

• I was sitting in my highschool graduation with my vehicle packed to move out... as soon as I got my diploma and finished the meet and greet afterwords I was out of there. Had a job lined up for the summer and it was off to college in the fall. Never looked back.

• I'm still at home BUT rent here is like 500$ monthly

So if I could get out of here, it'd feel like escaping prison. being on my own would be scary as hell but in so looking forward to it.

An average electric bill may be as low as $30 per month or as high as $100. Gas may cost, on average, anywhere from $40 to $150 and can fluctuate depending on the season. Some apartents offer it included.

• I was 21 and moved in with friends, it was good, but the house was a bit disorganised but it was fun.

If I can give you any advice it would be to set boundaries at the start for everything eg if you cook something do the dishes, and everyone has a turn of of cleaning.

If you live by yourself you don't have to deal with that but it's more expensive.

• And with laundry, just make sure you do it once a week , maybe every Sunday or something and get in the habbit.

• We had our own washing machine so that was good, but when it was broken we had to use public ones and it sucked.

Why don't you just buy your own second hand washing machine? They aren't that expensive and it makes washing fun, or at least better than going to the public place lol.

• I plan on moving somewhere with a washer and dryer, but just in case if it doesn't workout. Ill move to somewhere without one.

• I was 19. I moved 650 miles away and stayed with relatives until I got a job (only took about a week), then rented my first apartment about 6 weeks later. I think it was about $275/mo. with utilities included. But this was over 32 years ago.

• I was 22 when I moved out. It was strange at first, but I definitely don't regret it! Sadly, I was forced to move back in when I was 29 as my ex girlfriend took out a credit card in my name which left me broke :(

• I'm so sorry to hear. :/

• @ArabianPwincess197 I've tried but unfortunately I was living with her when she got it and they have basically said that it's my responsibility to pay the bill.

• But technically she has no rights to apply for a credit card in your name. Even if she was living with you. Did you have a joint account with her? Did you try and get paperwork on where she shopped and used the money? Like if it was solely on female stores, and makeup etc then that could have helped...

• I still haven't lol.

• at 19, it was like a little bird taking its first flight, seems frightening, a bit difficult , a totally new experience.. but here starts real life in real world which makes u man out of a boy :)

• Like the rain scene from Shawshank Redemption.

• Well, my dad died when I was 16... so when I left my moms house.. well technically speaking.. I'm still living in the same house that we were living in since I was 17. I no longer live with my mom as she was the one that moved out.. and the house is no longer in her name as of February 1st of this year. I was renting from her for the past year and half as she was living 3 hours away. And then moved again and now lives like 8 hours away. Just saved up enough til I was able to buy the house for myself. So, make sure you have a job and are willing to deal with the bare minimum in terms of things that you need. I got rid of cable/satellite, got the cheapest internet that was available... and luckily I lived close enough to work (1 mile) that I could walk and didn't have to spend money on a car, which I had gotten rid of about 3 months before my mom just up and left. Grocery store was also about a mile away.

• I'm 28 and never moved out of my parents home😓😅

• 22 rent was 700/month everything including I rented a room of a friend

What Girls Said 18

• Hmm I was about 18-- living here in the city was pretty expensive I basically saved 2k+ for every month! and I had a roommate for a bit and lived with a boyfriend, now i'm looking to live on my own again potentially but its around 1800-2k a month to live alone but living with a roommate is about 24-2600 a month. (not each) Laundry I had one in my apartment so I didn't have to share, I usually aim to save up at least 4-6 months of rent prior to moving because you never know the situation you may be in.

• I was 18. I was actually moving about 3 1/2 hours away for college. I visited once before Christmas Break if I'm not mistaken. It was hard. All my friends and roommates would leave to go home or went to sporting competitions every weekend. So, I was left alone a lot. And I didn't have my family, high school friends, or new friends to talk with.

But now it's much better. I never liked being under my family's wing. I liked the freedom.

Now I live in an off campus apartment with my friends, and I commute to college. I'm 21 and paying rent. Whooooooo.

Answering your questions
    Age: 18
    Pay: tuition (high as fuck) plus toilet paper, cleaning supplies, etc for suite bathroom
    Alone: No, 1 girl in same room, 2 girls in next room pass shared bathroom. Suite style.
    Success: Haven't flunked out of college... yet
    Laundry: Do it on the weekend. Do it when no one else will bug you (need the machine) Separate clothes into whites, dedicates, colors, and towels, and bedding. Do cold for like everything. Saves time, electricity, and colors less likely to bleed out. I used pods. Works great if you get the big bag. Get a drying rack for your delicates. Your clothes last longer that it's handy and saves a lot of quarters. Try to wash your loads in a way so that when one is coming out of the dryer, another is ready to go in, this conserves electricity and time because the dryer is already hot! Wash loads of color clothes with your roomie to save money. But make sure it's cold, you don't want to ruin anyones clothes. Be careful regarding red colors.
    Money: Save at least 2 months rent plus 300 for emergencies and pay rent two months in advance as well. Make sure you have a job lined up.
    Communication: Try to keep communication open with someone from home. In the new city, you can get lost easily or wander around where you shouldn't be. It's good to have someone there on the phone with you, especially at night. I did this a lot when I first went to college and had to walk really late at night. Also, it fosters a good bond between people. My mom really enjoyed that she could still protect me in a way, even though I was far away.

Best :) if you need any more tips, just ask.

• Thank you so much! Was it hard getting back and fourth to your apartment to campus? Was it easy for you to study and do work? How was college and working?

• Welcome :) I take the bus. It's like a 15 minute ride, super short. It even gives me time to study a little. I'm not working this semester. But last semester it wasn't so bad, I didn't have a lot of hours because I had 17 credit hours. But try to keep work for the weekend or days when you get out of class pretty early. Always have a few days out of the week that you can sit down and study for a few hours.
      Regarding my apartment now. Rent is like 320 plus electricity. So, about 350. Plus food and toiletries. I live in the south in a cheap area/town though. It's not usually so cheap. The best thing to do is to either pay rent in advance or make a tight budget and keep to it. Also, meal plans can be super expensive. So, consider getting a card for on campus that your parents can add money to so you can buy snacks/meals. My school, and many others, have a card for school dining that has special money like 'Diner bucks' they're better than buying a meal plan if you live off campus.

• Thats cool! Thank you so much!

• Not yet. I first need a steady job and money saved up. Plus I plan on switch school next year and living with my boyfriend. Hahha (: and than after 2-3years there moving where the work is. Lol and yeah I can only dream what it would feel like to have a college diploma and a job. (:

• I haven't moved out yet. I can't find a job that pays enough to let me move out. 90% of my friends R in the same situation. The ones that did move out have a terrible time paying for everything. Like in my case they can't get enough hours, or the jobs are so unstable they're forced to quit.

I can barely afford to pay for my car, and it's technically under my dad's name to have really cheap insurance. I give them the money back for insurance every year, bought the car myself, buy my own clothes/food/furniture and pay for my phone so I'm not really a burden on anyone...

I actually totally planned on paying rent before but found out the hard way how bad the economy is. Takes me months to find each job including the minimum wage ones. A lot of those R actually on call jobs that only give U 10-20hrs a week! Because of obamacare and the zero hour contracts.

It's not too bad. I'm not at home most of the time, unless they ask me to be there...

And it's not just happening to my gen. My parents totally understand because of their own horror stories. My uncle who's in his late forties just told my mom, that at his job not only was overtime no longer allowed but everyone's hours were cut to only 30-35 a week! Even including the people who had been working there for 10-20 years. He said he's had people come into his office and just start sobbing... this kind of thing is the norm for the economy now.

• Honestly all of the kids I've met who did move out, got into hard drugs and alcohol. A lot of it was social; but I think most of it was due to the stress. And half as of them had to move back in with their families.

• I worked at Kroger at 15.

• @Asker it's a new policy they started I think in September 2015. I have seen some young baggers but only on wknds. They seem like they're on call too becuz I nvr see the same people there on the same shift/day.

• I moved out this year (at 20) for university with my boyfriend, it's really expensive and we use student loans for a lot of it unfortunately. Our rent is $1010 a month but it's $336 for me because it is split three ways. Laundry is expensive too when we use coin laundry in the building. Make sure to get renter's insurance and getting a roommate helps with expenses. Honestly I know I will be in debt for a very very long time but that will be because of tuition not rent, I just need to get through university and survive for now. You also have to have money for a damage deposit and in my case a pet deposit which you will get back when you move out if they apartment isn't damaged. The damage deposit was $1000 and the pet deposit was $250. I also took dated pictures of any damage that was there before I moved in so they couldn't blame us for any of it.
    Finding a place that is furnished may be cheaper too because then all you need is a mattress and furnature is expensive.

• I moved out after I graduated from college, and had a teaching assistantship in another state for my master's degree. I had a small income from the TA ship, but it was really hard to make the money last from month to month. My grandparents would send me money sometimes if I asked them, because I knew my parents didn't have any. The first year I lived alone and the second year I shared a 2-bdr apt near campus with a roommate I got through the master's program. I didn't know her, we were just matched up.

It was very stressful and scary, but also very liberating being a thousand miles from family and finally on my own. Honestly though I was too busy working my tail off at teaching, grading papers, and doing all my coursework to worry too much about anything else. I got in a car accident that practically totaled my car (someone hit me from behind and left the scene) but another driver followed them and got the license number. The insurance company was leaning heavily on me to total my car (which I couldn't afford) but I ignored them and finally the police tracked down the guy who hit me and I filed with their insurance. I found someone to patch up my car and kept it another year until I graduated and found a full-time job.

• I was 20, my rent was about 300/month and utilities were an additional 80-100. I lived with my best friend. Tips for laundry: start hoarding quarters. I saved up around $2000 before I moved.

• I'm still at home and I'm not moving out till i get married. i do my bit around here of course.

• I am moving out this year. I'll be 18. The cost of rent is dependent on where you are moving to. Even within Canada it costs differently for each province. I am moving in with my boyfriend in September.

• I too plan on moving out at 18, but by myself.

• I guess... I'd look for a place that has utilites (heat, hot water, and electricity) as part of the rent.

• Okay.

• It was great! I moved into a bf's parents summer house he lived in full time. but when they came up to use it I had to move back to my parents. I was 18 and in school.

• 18, went to college, graduate, my parents are paying the rent at that time, after graduation, I went home attend my sisters wedding. apply for a job got hired now paying my rent. laundry? send it to the laundry shop. no need to save the best option is to get a job.

• 18. Very hard and I miss them a lot wish I could hug them tight atm ❤️😞

• I'm moving out this July with my friends :)

• I was 18 headed to college. Never looked back.

• It was easy, I just walked some meters...

• I'm still at home sadly. I have a job but it hardly pays what I need to be on my own so I'm hoping to work for amazon by summer time. My boyfriend has an apartment and we have agreed if we make it work by October of this year we will look for a apartment together. He has a roommate and their rent is 1000 a month so he pays 500. Their electric is only 30 a month because they don't have cable and both work so they are hardly home. Their gas is 150. I have been saving for months now so hopefully by October I have plenty!

my home life is really awful. I'm a prisoner and get treated bad.. I have no room/no bed.

• Easier than I thought. Way more expensive than I thought. I had a nice little place though. With the expenses thing, I said to all my friends, and they agreed when they moved out "add up whatever you'll need, double it, then you still won't have enough" there's just so much to pay for buying furniture and all these small things you need to get started that you don't think of... down to washing up sponges and dish soap haha.
    It's expensive af. Some people get furnished places though, so I guess that's cheaper, but it's still more expensive than you think.

• For me it's been a struggle, I didn't get to just be ready and move out when I had my life together my family was sorta torn apart when my mom left. When my brothers girlfriend moved in with us I moved to my aunts. When my mom moved out she got an apartment a few blocks from my dads to stay close but my dad turned into a creeper so she wanted to move and I got to take over the lease on the apartment because my aunts was a long drive to work and the apartment was closer. After being there I learned my dad wasn't feeding my brother and his girlfriend and although they were looking neither had jobs so they had no way to even buy food themselves so they came to live with me but I was supporting them as well as paying my own bills. After the lease was up on the apartment his girlfriend moved in with her mom and my brother and I went to my dads where we shared a pull out couch bed in the living room, he wouldn't let us use electricity, didn't help with food or anything and then wanted to charge us rent, we basically only slept there and lived in my car all day looking for pop cans to get food. When he asked for rent I moved with my aunt again and yet again because she had issues I was left supporting her kids. I fed them, took my cousin to and from school and soccer practice/games, cleaned house did everything and then things went bad with her and I ended up back with my mom and her new boyfriend for a while and when they split I was supposed to share an apartment with her to save money for my own since I'd been left to support my brother and cousins, she basically told me she didn't want me with her so even though I couldn't and still can't afford it I have an apartment. My rent is late every month, I rarely pay on my electric, I hardly have money for food and def don't get to do things like go out or get new clothes. I have 2 pairs of leggings, 4-5 shirts, a pair of scrub pants and 3 scrub tips for work and that's all I have for clothes. At one point before the apartment I had lived in my car and slept at rest stops and that almost seems better than this but I figure at least I have a place to go and not just driving around all the time. I just wish things in my life would have been different like I could have gotten to save up money to move out instead of supporting everyone and constantly being broke

• Wow, so sorry to hear.

• Wow. I've heard some bad stories from friends, but yours is definitely at the top.