Is education really that important?

Sometimes I feel... isn't youth more important than becoming a hot shot lawyer or banker or doctor?

The age in which you are slaving away working are supposed to be some of the best years of your life, right? Especially for women who only get to be beautiful when they're young.

What's the point of being locked up away somewhere in some office working long hours and having only weekends to look forward to.

Most Helpful Guy

• the funny thing is, that I feel like this is what life is only in the Americas: Canada, USA, and maybe some European countries. the problem is that our societies believe in attaining more money so we can afford things. Where school, and work are the main importance of our lives. which in turn make our lives shitty.

A lot of European countries are different. they don't focus so much on business and working 9-5 or 9+ hour days, some have better minimum wage. plus this kind of life makes it more difficult to find love, friendships, and meaningful things in life. it stops us from learning about other parts of the world and travelling.

is it a better life? no it is not. if work is the focus of life, than I think the country needs re-evaluation.

• See the problem is that education is not attained because people love learning. I love learning. But I absolutely HATE the education system, because it's designed to not be a relaxing learning atmosphere but a competition about whose better than who, and a means to get a good job so that you can get a good pay.

There's a lot of value in learning. There's a lot of value in attaining education that can change your perspective on things. But unfortunately people now choose majors not based on what interests them, but on what can provide the best return on investment

• Thanks for MHO!

Most Helpful Girl

• I do partially agree with your statement. I think education is important, as the better education level you have, the better chance you can be something big and make good money, and have a good living.

But I also think it should not be so much that it starts to affect a young adult's life to the point where they can't have fun.

I work in a bookstore, about 4 months ago, a mother came into the the store looking for an SAT book that's more geared towards 8th graders. An SAT practice book... for an 8th grader? I told her we didn't have anything like an SAT book of that level, but we did have workbooks for 8th graders. I as kind of confused on why she would really want her kid to be practicing for the SAT that her kid won't have to take till he/she is in their junior year of high school. That's 3 years away. Recently after that, I learned that there as someone big in the school district that suggested kids start studying for the SAT around their middle school years.

That's ridiculous. Okay, it's important that a teen may spend a little time reviewing things like vocab maybe over the summer while they are not in school, but they don't need to be doing SAT stuff on an active basis until their sophmore year of high school at the earliest.

Kids shouldn't be stuck at home studying all the time, they need some time to have fun, to socialize, and to explore who they are.

On a similar note, it seems these days it is expected of high schoolers (or at least where I live it's expected) for them to know exactly what they want to do, and start preparing by taking courses relating to it in their late high school years. Most colleges want you to proclaim your major when you go in, and some don't like it if you change mid year. hen you'r a teenager, in high school or fresh out of it, you're not going to know what they heck you want to do. You may think you do, but most truly don't.

It's important to not only focus on education, but to meet people and explore different backgrounds, so you know whats out there.

Yes, education is a vital thing, but it should not completely block out exploring, and getting to know more about other people and yourself.

What Guys Said 7

• But at the same times what's the point in living in the moment of youth if you aren't able to get a good job or have money to do things either while your young or later in life when your looking to settle down?

I mean you don't have to spend 4-8 years in med school or law school for that matter to have a decent education and get a good job. I'm becoming a professional trainer from one of the best and most recognizable schools in the world and my entire the base schooling takes less then a year but it lets me work in the fitness industry in any of the dozens of countries that fall under it's certification.

You have to think about the future as well as the present.

• "What's the point of being locked up away somewhere in some office working long hours and having only weekends to look forward to..." funny how you can only do fun things when you have money, which usually comes from working. oddly enough, there seems to be a huge correlation between money and education level. i wonder what that means...

• Welllll not necessarily. You may be rich in real life already (like I am), so not sure what I'm supposed to aspire to.

Also, what if you choose a reasonable job where you have less hours and are also able to enjoy life? Isn't that a better option than the over-promoted, 'put on a pedestal' type careers of lawyers bankers doctors etc.

• 1- rich as in you're actually rich, think you're rich or rich off your parent's money... there's a difference
      2- not everyone wants to be a doctor, lawyer or banker and a lot of people love what they do
      3- who doesn't love college? literally the funnest place ever

• The point of being locked up away somewhere in some office working long hours is that you are working on fulfilling your own ambition. Whether that's to make a ton of money, or make the world a better place, to help people less fortunate than you, or to just do something challenging to entertain you, it doesn't matter.

Let's put it around another way. What are you going to do when you're old and wrinkly, with no education, no career, having made no impact on the world and too old to party? What value would you have for anyone then?

• Depends how you view the world
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BYEiVORIcAAXNEx.jpg

But overall its not about being a hot shot... be a doctor if you have the capacity and find love in learning about solving problems with the human body, helping others. Otherwise refer to that image

• yes.

you got 2 choices

self educate or institution... either should make you money and advance your life.

• So someday you might be able to provide for a family, improve your living condition, etc. I ditched on that plan. I'm going to enjoy my youth and I don't plan on starting a family.

• Because you neef money to have fun on the weekends

What Girls Said 5

• Women who only get to be beautiful when they're young are often ones who have a diet consisting of mainly fast-food/processed foods because healthier options are way too expensive for them to afford with a minimum-wage salary. Who live in stress, bouncing paycheck to paycheck hoping they have enough to make it through on a monthly basis.

What's the point of being locked up away in an office working long hours and having only weekends to look forward to?

Well... if you didn't spend hours working, you'd have no weekends to look forward to. Every day of the week would be spent working your ass off at McDick's or some retailer like WalMart to help pay the bills and put food on the table. Having enough money left over to spend on over-priced drinks at clubs or even to eat out regularly would be laughable.

• education is inevitable, whether u get it inside or outside the classroom.

i personally feel like if u wanna get anywhere in life, u either need a solid education to get into a good job, or u need REALLY good connections to make ur way into high places like sports, acting, tv shows, etc.

life is what u make of it. if u make the time, u will be able to balance ur life. there's nothing to be intimidated by.

• More education you have, more likely you will find a good paying job.

• because they want a future and to be able to live in luxury.. that's their goal, not everyone has the same goal so who cares what other people do with their lives

• I understand what you're saying, but yes, yes education is important because there are so many job opportunities that come with it, and that is something that nobody can take away. I'm pro-education, but at the same time the education system is struggling and a lot of students who graduate, graduate with student loan debt that causes them to use the money from the jobs that their degree was supposed to help them get, in order to keep on paying for that degree, in other words, as some people say, education puts students in debt before they even get started. It's really unfortunate that we have to struggle like this in college. At lot of what is going on is part of what makes students not want to school, and who could blame them. We are always being told that education is important to have and blah blah blah, but why is it so hard to obtain? In short, education is important, but not as easy to achieve as it's made out to be.