How to not suck at war strategy games?

I completely suck at anything related to war. I can't think ahead 1 move, let alone more. Should I read Art of War by Sun Tzu or something?

Most Helpful Guy

• Just play some chess, it greatly improves your skill to think ahead :-). I've been playing it since I was a child and I also won a few tournaments as teenager.

What Guys Said 6

• Join me online at warring empires. Android game server A12 or let's play online chess
    Age of empires 2 is best I spent like 6 years on it, I am ultimate strategist..
    Simple rule you need to be faster built economy and army and defend and once your economy is stable, keep sending seige on enemy, see the troop type like infantry are good against cavalry, and cavalry are good against archery, and archers are good against infantry. Use combination it's piece of cake.

• Strategy games like what? I like to play Red Alert for example. If you're talking about chess, it's more of calculating the possibilities that your opponent might play with each one of your moves. Bobby Fischer (one of the greatest chess grand-masters) said that it all became memorization at one point for him.

• Lol, you remind me of a cute game series that died out , Age of empires.. Seriously the best war strategy games I played.

• Practice. I mean Art of War is great but let's get real here, you arn't fighting the Nazi's or the Japanese, your out-smarting a common person. Think like they think within the first few moves.

• It isn't always multiplayer

• Are we talking Grand Strategy or RTS?

• Pretty sure it's not the latter.

• I need to stop saying "pretty".

• They're all pretty different. Having high APM isn't going to help you sort out Gandhi now is it?

• Sun Tzu is more of an advanced course, it's about the psychology of conflict. Strategy games are about making right decisions and that depends on contingency, accurate estimation of probability and pattern recognition. These are things people do naturally, you just have to apply them to the problem. You need to think about why you are doing what you are doing, what is most likely to happen when you do it and what the situation will then be like.

What Girls Said 0