Why do rich people work hard?

They're already rich... yet they take on careers for the prestige/wealth/status.

I don't understand where they get their motivation from.

How can people who've been given money their entire lives and understand it's not the beyond all and end all of things possibly want to slave away? It just doesn't add up.

They could always invest in stocks/bonds/real estate/franchises to remain rich and choose a not too demanding career just for the sake of

Most Helpful Guy

• Usually they have got rich in the first place from working hard. They are just hard working people by nature usually and when they become rich they just keep that motive.

• No no, I meant for example people whose parents are rich... they've been given money their whole life. They know they're going to stay rich. I don't get the desire to become even more rich by choosing careers where you give up your whole life for money

• Yes, some rich people do that yes but a lot also don't. It depends on the person and their views. Why do you think there is no connection?

• Because I didn't grow up rich. I don't believe in being formal with each other and only saying the right things, and talking about expensive things like travelling because you can't sit around and talk about that movie you saw at the theatre you really liked.

It's like we come from two different worlds

Most Helpful Girl

• It's not about the money. It's about the goals.

• BUT the goals are usually to make more money. I don't buy for one second that any of these kids want to be accountants, i-bankers, doctors etc.

• You really are quite stupid. Did I once say that I sit around doing nothing? I see a balance in my life which is important for every individual's health and general well-being.

I'm a University student whose idea of goals include working, studying, pursuing other hobbies. Not dedicating my whole life to a career that profits off of exploiting my time for their own corporate interests. You won't understand. You don't sound very intelligent

What Guys Said 7

• They are chasing the dragon. Chasing the illusion of security that money can buy, or the happiness it promises- but never, ever fulfills. So they bury themselves in work, greed, the pursuit of more wealth, foolishly thinking it will somehow be better the next million.

• Stocks, bonds and real estate always carry a significant risk factor. For those who are risk-averse and want to play it safe, these aren't an option.

• I think a part of it is them knowing that the life they've had to date of status/wealth/prestige will never last unless they continue their parent's legacy. It's highly unrealistic for an investment banker's son/daughter to go be a teacher for example, because it's a total disconnect from the live they've had so far.

• Yeah, good point!

• Many wealthy people don't so much enjoy having money. Rather they are successful at making money and that's what they enjoy.

If you have a gift of being able to do something well, it's not surprising that you find pleasure in that. It's like someone who can sing. . . they just enjoy performing on stage.

• Agreed. But rich people don't become singers. They usually go into very lucrative careers.

Think of it this way: at some of the top business schools in the country or the world, why are most students rich? Is it true that only rich people have the aptitude to survive in those environments. Obviously not. There's a lot more motivation for the average rich person than the average middle-class person to be a part of those soul-sucking corporate careers

• A lot of people get bored sitting around loading up on bon-bons, shopping, and jetting to St. Moritz.

• Sure I get that. But some of the careers they choose, like medicine for example... these are not easy careers. The integration process where they have to work super hard in college when everyone else is having fun... it baffles me

• But some of the careers they choose, like medicine for example… Being a corporate slave is by no means in any way or form meaningful.

http://m.imgur.com/WEhibv3.gif

• @AmongTheApples My previous job was working for a large national corp. I had flexible hours, got to travel all over the world at company expense, actually got to pick and choose, to some extent, my work assignments. The boss might drop by my desk a couple times a month. It wasn't so bad.

• Rich people weren't all born rich...

Investing in real estate is hard work...

Because you only live once and you have to do something... Why sit on your ass all day?

• I never said sit on your ass all day. But they could choose careers which are interesting/less hard work. A medium ground.

I don't understand how any one in their right mind would want to be an investment banker if they're already rich. These careers are not just hard, they take up so much time. A good chunk of their life has gone in being a corporate slave

• You don't need a degree to start a business...

Business school is unnecessary if you can educate yourself...

• College degrees are a waste of time...

• because that's how they remain rich

• Greed basically, it's never enough

What Girls Said 2

• Rich people are rich because they know how to play their game and they r only interested in the game. Wealth comes as bonus

• What do you mean by their game? I've often noticed this too, that they have a certain lifestyle of bragging to others that they work in this career or went to x school. But the reality is 75% of their time is them locked up in an office and only 25% of their life is on these externalities. How can they possibly be content with this split

• They were raised that way by their parents. They also have a lot more pressure on them to succeed than someone who comes from a poorer family. They have a higher standard to live up to.

• Hmm I don't think so. I think parents who come from not so well off families see their kid as a way to end the poverty and are always pressuring them to study.

• It's not the same kind of pressure. Coming from a wealthy family and not living up to your parent's legacy is seen as a negative thing by your peers. When you're from a wealthy family people have higher expectations of you. That's just how it is.

• My mom used to pressure me intensely to study because she didn't get the opportunity to do that and thought studying=higher status for me as a woman. That was a lot of pressure.

I agree that people, being people, just like pitting others against each other. What difference does it really make if a lawyers son or daughter chooses to become an actor and not go to University at all? How does it affect other people's lives? It doesn't, at all.

I am ALL for education being a means for someone to make something of their life. If a poor kid wants to work really hard as a lawyer for example because they want the life that they never had as a child, I understand.

But I always find rich people do it for all the wrong reasons