How do I tell the guy I'm dating I don't want to go out this weekend? (Read for more info)?

So this upcoming weekend, we have to put my fifteen year old Schnauzer down. I got him when I was three and he is literally my best friend. It actually has me in tears to think of this right now. And I feel like it's a little weird to be like 'Hey I can't go out to dinner then have sex with you this weekend because I'm morbidly depressed over putting my dog down.' to I guy I just started dating.
It is so rare that I cry and although I know Matthew would maybe take my mind off my dog, I just really don't want any help in my grieving. It's how I am. Basically what I'm asking is do I let him try to make me feel a little better or just tell him I can't see him?

What Guys Said 1

• I think you should tell him. I'm sure he will understand and do what it takes to help console you.

What Girls Said 2

• i think you should be honest. there's nothing wrong with being upset over putting down a pet! if he offers to hang out and try to make you feel better, you can decide if you want to see him or not. and if you don't just be honest about why. it's ok to let him know you're uncomfortable with him seeing you really upset.

• Maybe tell him the truth and let him make the choice, knowing you'll be upset? While I think you have every right to not go out, it will probably make you feel better.
    I used to think avoiding people when I'm sad was easier, but talking is so much better. My friend does this too, she disappears when she's sad, but sometimes I get ahold of her and after lots of convincing she agrees to hang out, and she is always grateful that I persisted because she feels better.