Would you date/marry someone who grew up in foster care?

This person was born after their mother had affair with a married man. He didn't want them and she raised them as a single mom, dying when they're 3. After that, they were in foster homes.

Most Helpful Girl

• I did exactly this. In fact, I married a man who got ping-ponged between foster care and the juvenile probation department, and ended up on the streets on his own by his 15th birthday.

He also happens to be the man of all my wildest, wettest dreams, and, we're just about 15 years into a marriage that is as close to perfection as 2 imperfect people are gna get.

I wrote about the curious situation of his name (s) in my opinion on this thread:
    www.girlsaskguys.com/.../q1910888-after-marriage-why-do-women-change-their-last-names-men-or-women

And... you should see him with our kids. It's amazing, how sometimes all that hate at the world can mix up inside someone's heart and soul, and out comes love. <3

What Guys Said 18

• Depends. Let me tell you about someone I worked with. This was a younger guy that lost his parents at a very young age in a car accident and spent his whole life in foster care and children's aid. Except for not having natural parents, this kid had more growing up than I ever had or more than any kid I ever knew. He had full health care, full dental, (had braces paid for by the government), he did everything you can imagine as a kid, hockey, baseball, soccer, taekwondo, swimming lessons, summer camp... The list goes on and on. He was a student with us at work when he was in highschool. We gave him a job because we felt sorry for him. His grandparents bought him a car. The government bought him tools and a tool box to get started as a mechanic. This kid had everything handed to him! He was more spoiled that any rich kid you could imagine!!! The terrible thing was, he had the shittiest attitude and he felt like the world owed him! Everything he got was because he thought it was his right to have it! He trashed the car, didn't care about his job. We ended up letting him go. Good luck in life kid! The world owes you nothing!

So to answer you question if the person was like that kid, no, I would never give them the time of day!

• I don't think that would be an issue. Everyone has some type of emotional baggage. It really just depends on how they let it effect them.

• Apparently my grandma did. It's weird hearing stuff about the grandparents :O

• I would.

• I think adversity builds character, and overcoming life's hurdles is one of the sexiest and most admirable things ever.

• It would make no difference for me.

• Why not? I don't see why that should ever be a problem.

• Sure why not.

• If I liked her then yes. The only thing that matters when deciding to date someone is whether I like her. It doesn't matter about her race, religion, height, weight, upbringing etc. As long as she is a nice person then I will want to date her.

• Ofcourse! Why wouldn't i?

• yes i would

• Foster means nothing in determining if if someone is date worthy or not.

• That wouldn't be a problem

• Of course. I wouldn't blame someone for something they had no control over

• I don't care how they were raised, if I like em, and they like me, I don't see why not

• Why wouldn't I? Anyone who's not idiot would date/marry her if he loves her.

• Yeah why not? Depends on what kind of person she turned out to be.

• Why wouldn't I?

• Ya I do see why not

What Girls Said 12

• Yes if i loved him. A child has no control over his/her circumstances. I wouldn't treat or view anyone differently because they were raised in foster care.

My friends mother was a foster mother to a boy and a girl, they are both adults now and very nice , level- headed individuals. If they'd stayed in the environment they were removed from then their lives may have become so much different , but in a negative way

If someone judges you by you past then make sure you put them in it. The past is who you "were ", the present is who you "are "

• I wouldn't let that rule out dating them. If they let their rough start in life make them into an asshole... that's another thing.

• I don't see why that would have any relevance in my dating or marrying them.

• why not.

• Why not they're still a person?

• I wouldn't really care if they were in foster care. I honestly don't think that should matter neither but that's just my opinion.

• Why wouldn't someone?

• Sure I will,, it's his parent fault

• Yes, I would no problem with it

• Well, you should never judge someone based on their background. They never chose that life, and I'm sure if they had a choice, it would have a much happier ending. Personally, I think someone's past does not define them. If this person is a likeable person, someone who gets along with you, and someone who you think has a great personality, why let their parent's mistakes determine whether you should date/marry someone? Always have an open mind and try not to judge others :)

• Why wouldn't I? He'd just be a person like everyone else

• Of course. What's wrong with growing up in foster care?