Why do we call goldfish "goldfish" when they're fucking orange? Shouldn't they be "orangefish" instead?

Why do we call goldfish

Most Helpful Girl

What Guys Said 16

• Why do we call oranges orange in color? The name of the color was "Geoluhread" meaning "yellow red" from danish, I believe.
    Oranges are not orange, because orange was not the name of a color. It was only the name of a fruit. Other things began getting compared, in color, to the fruit. The modern word for the color orange is taken from the name of the orange fruit.

By that logic, calling anything "orange" is silly.
    The fish is clearly geoluhread. And thanks to the iridescent nature of fish scales, it is reminiscent of metallic hues, and do it is fair to say it resembles the mineral "gold" and is thus a "gold fish."

And yes, I did answer this question in this way just to be an ass. I was in a mood for it.

• 0|0
  • Don't fuck up our precious system with logic, we enjoy the nonsensical crap \o/

• It's like redheads. Clearly they're orangeheads.

• Dude you're totally on to something here

• I think it has something to do with the ancient Chinese and their superstitious beliefs somehow correlating these fishes with the production of gold. More fishes, more gold.

Lol. I'm totally guessing here, I have no proof for this, so don't take my word for it!

• A lot of them look pretty gold to me. Maybe it's a bit of a euphemism. I've seen yellow ones! I think grey too.

• Why are red grapes purple and white grapes green? Why? WHY?

• There's a slightly gold glint when you see their scales in a certain light.. :p

• Because they are shiny and as the light hits them in different angles they can appear gold and bright. but a "orangefish" would not turn more orange. it would be more yellow or something. plus its weird to call it "orangefish". Goldfish just rolls off the tongue too.. But what are you thinking of this? is this one of those shower thoughts people have from time to time? :P

• The rare, exotic, pure breed ones are worth more than their weight in gold.

• And Golden Retrievers should be called Orange Dogs.

• They're shiny, probably because of that. Why is Greenland icy and Iceland green anyway?

• I don't understand either.

• Hell, some aren't even completely orange... let alone gold. xD

• @ClariceOwen23 That's what they want you to believe because they can't prove their chicken are from Kentucky XD

• Are we even sure that all chicken are actually chicken?

• Because... same reason we do a lot of things.

• Because there already was a orange fish and they where bread to be the top prize or gold prize at carnavals

What Girls Said 14

• All your logic, Taco! UGH. ;P

I don't know they kind of look gold to me.

• There used to be fewer names for things. Anything shiny with a yellowish reddish tinge was called gold.

• Hmm, I thought you were initially talking about the snack food. xD Shows how fat I am. That's a good question, though! Maybe that's easier to help name them, even though they come in many colors.

• journalofzoology.blogspot.com.au/.../...sh_89.html

Mm that's actually quite interesting

• My fish is smart!

• @cavmanier Brine shrimp? I've never heard of that being goldfish food, but it must be extremely healthy for them

• Yes they can eat brine shrimp :) I bet it's healthier than pellets

• Deep thoughts by @xXiTacoXx. Lol.

• In French, they are called "poissons rouges" ; red fish.

• 0|0
  • Ask the orange day.

• Touché... Never thought about it, but now that you bring it up, I won't be able to stop thinking about it. 😂

• I used to wonder the same thing, but hey I guess it's just the name lol

• You really made a point!

• Here's something. In french they call them a red fish.

• But whhhhyyyyyyy?

• Is all color perception. My mom and I argue all the time over what "red" is. Everyone sees color differently with the way the cons and rods in the eyes pick up light. The person who names that fish must have saw it as good not orange haha

• They come in many color besides orange too

• There are varieties and there is a lemon or "gold colored" one.

"Varieties. Common goldfish differ only in colour from their closest relative, the Prussian carp. Common goldfish come in a variety of colours including red, orange/gold, white, black and yellow or 'lemon' goldfish."