At what age did your parents allow you to watch movies with sexual scenes?

How old were you when your parents found you watching movies that where rated R due to sexual scenes acceptable? When would you let your kids start?

• 21-23
  • 24-26
  • 27-29
  • 30+
  • Never!
Jeeze. It seems over half of these people have had parents comfortable with thier kids watching that kind of stuff in their early 20s at latest. I'm not terribly far from 30, and my parents will never want me watching movies or playing games with anything with that.
I apologize for the poll tags being so specific. My parents are extremely iffy about the subject, and I never would've imagined so many people so young would have had their parents have so much less concern. My parents will never be totally comfortable with the idea of me watching something with anything particularly sexual in it, being visually or just talking about it a lot. Do you think they are being overprotective?

Most Helpful Girl

• Lol at the options.
    My parents never really cared about what my sister and I were watching.

• I don't think I'm going to be able to until I finally have the possibility to move out. (Still living with them due to issues caused by epilepsy)

• We only have one family tv. The one everyone uses is in the room where everyone who isn't working or sleeping always is.

• Thanks for MH :)

Most Helpful Guy

• Are you beeing serious right now? You don't have a poll for anything under 21 ? Lmao This is the most stupid poll I've ever seen. If someone is 21 they're a adult and they can watch any movie they like, so what's the point of the poll? You don't even see sex in movies so I don't know what the big deal is. All you usually see is some kissing and they breath hard like they're doing something but they're not. If you're actually beeing serious and not trolling it seems like your parents are crazy. You know that rated R means you can go alone when you're 17 and even younger if a parent brings you, so the fact that you're asking if it's ok for someone who's 21 to watch a rated R movie is just hilarious to me. Just watch some porn and get it over with lmao.

• I had no idea so many parents would be just fine with their kids watching stuff related to sex so much at these kinds of ages!

• Well I live in Switzerland in Europe people overall seem to be less awkward about sex. When it comes to movies when I was 14 I could watch anything in the school library except the movies that were reccommended for 18 and over. Pulp Fiction was one I couldn't watch I remember. My parents didn't really have much a say in that but I think they would have been ok with it they didn't seem bothered. I also got movies from a other library I went to with my dad and he never made a big fuss as long as I was above the age reccomendation.

What Girls Said 17

• Would the sex scene in Titanic count? Or the one in Pearl Harbour? If they do, then I was 7. Honestly my parents didn't give a damn about sex scenes popping up during family movie night, and it didn't matter because I was too young to understand what was going on.

• For me I have no idea, but I would find it acceptable for older teens who have an understanding of sex to be able to watch movies with those scenes.

• I'm about almost 30, but I don't think they'll ever feel comfortable with me watching movies with that sort of stuff.

• That's odd, but I guess understandable seeing as they're your parents and sometimes parents always sees their kids like kids no matter the age

• They still don't 'let me'. I'm 23.
    (Not that I ever really asked for permission anyway.) :P

• I went and saw Seabiscuit when I was 12. There was a sex scene in there so I assume then lol

• When was sex explained to you? Before 12? I don't think my dad taught me until I was 13.

• I had the talk at 8. And was so traumatized that I still haven't done it lol

• I wish I could change the poll numbers. I had no idea that answers would be so vast and low! Do you think my parents are being overprotective?

• Hard to say but I think 12-13 at the most for me. Just yesterday my parents were talking openly about sex less than 10 feet from me. My parents never cared about that kind of stuff and they weren't very strict. Even though I didn't get a phone until I was 16, growing up I never had a curfew.

• I guess I was in my teens, but it really wasn't about letting me. It just kind of happened, haha. I don't think they worried too much about it.

• Different from me. I guess my parents would let me watch one that happened to be on, but nothing in theaters and certainly not in a video game. (I still live with them)

• Yeah, each set of parents have their own views.

• they never did.. I started watching them on my own.. lol

• So your parents don't care what you watch?

• So you don't have a legit answer because of you sneaking? Have you never watched something with sexual references with your parents knowing?

• I had my own separate stuff when I was 16.. like room.. laptop etc.. so it wasn't even possible to watch something like that before.. but do they know about anything sexual that I've watched.. the answer is no..

• I saw the first sex scene when i was 7 and i remember haha! my parents werent against it, it was normal for me.

• Erm..19

• My parents would still not want me to, though. It's not about being legal to them when it comes to "It's ok. He's old enough."

• Um, like 15 or 16?

• Man. Plenty of people half my age have parents perfectly comfortable with them seeing sexual stuff.

• They never allow me to watch sexual scenes, and I think they're doing the right thing.

• I began watching NC-17 rated films at the age of 3, when I was adopted.

• I feel like my direct family is the only one who still has parents so very... "cautious" about sexuality.
      Things so little as cartoons with sexual humor occasionally seem terribly bad for me to them, let alone seeing someone naked.

• Never, and Thank God for that strict rule.

• I could never watch such scenes with my parents ever. It's a different thing with friends.

• I've no choice but to live with them atm, so it's hard to find a chance to watch anything by myself.

• Late teens, probably around 18 I guess. Though in my early 20s I feel a bit awkward watching romantic scenes, haha!

• I think I was 9 or 10 the first time I saw nudity in a movie. As for a sex scene I'm pretty sure I was 11.

• I became an adult a 18, so I was able to chose what I wanted to watch or not.

What Guys Said 14

• My parents and my culture are both much more relaxed than Americans when it comes to sex and sexual things. I've always found it quite stupid how in America, every 8-year old can watch action movies where people get shot and nobody seems to worry but if there's a boob you can see for even just 1 nanosecond, the tv station immediately censors it because parents would go berserker if they didn't. Where I live, it's more the opposite. My parents have always been pretty cautious when it came to letting us watch movies that include violence. However, sexual scenes were never really a big deal. Of course I'm not talking about porn here but about normal movies with stories and stuff that include sex scenes. I think my parents let me watch those when I was 12 or 13. If it was more mild and you couldn't actually see anything (no boobs etc., just kissing and maybe some moaning like in romantic comedies), I could already watch it when I was 9 or 10. But I don't think back then I was so interested in this stuff anyway. And once I have children, I will do pretty much the same. I want my kids to grow up in a very relaxed, easy-going and open-minded atmosphere when it comes to sexuality and nudity.

• And apparently you like in Switzerland? Do they censor nudity less, or not at all? Do they censor things like blood?

• That's really cool! :-) But do you also have some sort of education that goes in that direction? Like, have you studied game design or something like that? Cuz otherwise I imagine it would be very hard to get a job in this business...

• I would certainly love to study it, but I have no way to go to college yet. I will asap, though. 😕
      My first Pokémon came from the idea of a Jurassic Park themed place in my region. lol We'd need more dinosaurs, though so I made one. A stegosaurus with thorns instead of spikes and plates being buds, then petals, then ultra sharp leaves. I like him a lot. 😊

• There was no moment when they just allowed it. If a scene ever came up, they did nothing and I just watched, not really understanding what was going on.

• So they never said anything against it at a certain age? Or anything?

• Serious...

• I just gradually learned. In no particular way.

• I moved out when I was 19 so I just did it whenever I wanted after that, At my age now, my mother still bitches about me watching R rated movies, but I ran out of fucks to give about that. I was a LOT more lenient with my kids, probably allowing it when they were around 12 or so. Both are now grown with kids of their own.

• I don't know. Preferred not to watch movies with my parents.
    I remember, even up to the age of 15, my dad always forced us to cover our eyes whenever a kissing scene came about.
    Don't know if he was being serious or not. At that time, it did seem like he was.

• Well I still live with them because of epilepsy, so I would have little choice because I'd have to wait until my little sister went to bed.

• Well, that's fair enough then, I guess.

• 16-18 , I think.

• Like... 15 I think. No problem.

• Do you think my parents are being overprotective?

• You need to shave a decade off of these options lol...

• Ya, I guess I should have been a lot more general. Still, I had no idea so many people half my age or younger had parents that would be comfortable with their kids watching movies and tv with sexual references so easily.

• I was watching R rated movies like Terminator and Predator when I was around 6 or so. Linda Hamilton was my first crush for two obvious reasons.

• The highest rating in my country is allowed for 18+

• But what about your parents? When did they seem to become perfectly comfortable with you watching them? (If they do already)

• About the same time 18

• Younger than that fam.

• I watched porn at a young age does that count

• Where your parents ever uncomfortable with it?

• Well, the question is about your parents accepting it. Not when you started.

• oh well this is awkward *excuse me * time to be hitting that Ole dusty trail

• I didn't have to ask for their permission... I could do it on ma own when I was under 12...

• Like 13 brah

• For me age of 24+.

• My parents will never feel fine with me watching that stuff. Allow me to, I guess, but that's a different subject.