How come when there is a lot of snow on someone's car they don't just dump lots of hot water on it so it melts faster instead of scraping it off?

I don't understand wouldn't it be much more efficent and faster if they dumped hot water on the icy and snowy car.

• Wow I never thought of that that's a great idea
  • No it wouldn't work explain why

Most Helpful Girl

Most Helpful Guy

• If you poor hot water on a snowy car, the heat on the Windows would shatter them. Hot water, cold windshield =broken windshield.

• Have you tried it?

• Thanks for MHO

• I can confirm this. i was making something in a glass bowl on a stove and then poured cold alcohol in it... i was trying to make jello shots, and the whole thing shattered in an instant. it was crazy!

What Girls Said 3

• because the hot water would freeze all over your car, and then you wouldn't be able to get in it.

• If he have so much snow that I can't take my car and all, I will just stay in my home

• Cuz if they don't dry it immediately, it'll turn into an ice layer again

What Guys Said 14

• 2 problems
    1. the severe change in temperature (freezing to hot) can crack glass
    2. the hot water will quickly turn to ice in freezing temperatures on an already cold surface so while you've gotten some snow off now you most likely will have ice which is harder to scrap off then just pushing snow off the car

• Yeah, bad idea. Pouring water onto car is only going to make it worse. Plus he sudden temperature change will damage the glass and probably paint too

• then you just add a layer of ice on your car because hot water cools quickly in the cold. not only that it could crack your windows.

• Cause one, the water would just freeze and second the hot water would cause the cold glass to break/shatter.

• You can cause thermal cracks in the glass by doing that.

• Well not really hot just hot.

• You have to factor in how cold the windows are, too. It's the temperature difference between the two, not solely the water temperature.

• because then all that water on the car will freeze and create a bigger problem

• Stupidty at its best. The less breeds needs to do this. They need to put hot water on their iced windshield, so that 5 min later on the road, the windshield glass cracks because of the temp difference. When it cracks, the less breeds will get in an accident and not pro-create. Giving hope to common sense once again.

• Wow cool story mr. natural selection man mr. doctor you have a huge p. h. d congratulations you're smart.

• Because that would crack the windscreen.

• Glass is going to shatter

• Thinke the hot tempreture increase might break glas. Rubbing alcohol works as de-icer thoguh

• The hot water would cool quickly and might cover the car with ice.

• Hot watwr would crack glass. If vwry cold water will freeze instead of melting snow. Takws a lot of hot water.

• Please breed as much as possible.

We need more comedians in this world.

• Just leave the snow on, it looks cool, literally

• Just drive blindly right?

• Not if its too icy you would have to defrost it with the heater first.

• Hmm ok. I've never really seen snow and I don't have a car so I don't really know much about this stuff :P