Is critical thinking and analysis different in English?

Whats the difference?

Most Helpful Guy

• Analysis - to me is simply reviewing the data and deriving your conclusions and recommendations from the information provided. No questions asked, the data is the data.

Critical thinking is where you take it a step further and question the data-set, the methodology, the conditions, the variables, and criticize the work.

I equate the analysis part to simply reading a book in English class (ie., what does the book say and draw direct conclusions that the author conveys in the book). The critical thinking is your afterthoughts or opinion of what you read.

• Basically for my essay I didn't do that. I did someone called say it. Which is a statement and show it where i prove my answer. Throughout my essay I forgot to read the crtical thinking stuff. I forgot to mention what the author thinks. ): I hope I get a good grade if not ouch!

• Thanks for MHGuy, cheers and I hope you ended up with a good grade after all!

Most Helpful Girl

• Critical thinking is also called critical analysis you are splitting hairs.

What Guys Said 11

• The way of thinking is the same, just the language changes. Languages are different ways to communicate, they don't change the ideas themselves, even though they can have better words to show certain things than others. So, I don't think so, critical thinking and analysis is the same, English is just one of the "windows" that allow us to see them.

• Oh that makes sense. I am just checking my online homework and it said both and I only wrote an analysis! lol So I was confused. I should have read the rest. of the stuff. ): I learn my lesson. ): But I am sure I did okay!

• I don't know what critical thinking is if it's not basic analysis. Or step by step explanation. Ugh going back to school is going to be annoying with all their weird definitions.

• realistically, they're synonyms in today's usage, but technically, they are different. analysis is simply more of just looking at something and observing. critical thinking is thinking comprises of analysis, but also includes evaluation of an issue to make some sort of judgment/conclusion.

• Compared to what?

I know most Chinese people think in Chinese math even when they are doing English math.

• When analysis, to me, means looking in detail, scrutinising. Critical thinking is about evaluating evidence, literally looking at it critically for objectivity. So there's a lot of overlap between the two.

• I'm often doing both in my job and I think analysis goes deeper... you first look critical at a situation and when your feeling says something is wrong you analyze it in detail :D

• Yes... critical thinking and analysis can relate to situations other than reading and writing in English. Take detectives for example.

• It shouldn't be, but I've never done it in any other language. One can always use logical isomorphisms in any any language.

• critical thinking as in : if not P then Q?

• Hey, good for you for learning about this stuff. It's an infinitely useful life skill.

• The only difference is the words used, cuz it's a different language

What Girls Said 0