Would you step in if you saw a woman getting assaulted in public?

• Step in
  • Step in for both genders if I saw someone getting assulted
  • be a bystander
  • other/ explain

Most Helpful Girl

• I have and I'll do it again no hesitation. I didn't hesitate then why now. Regardless of the situation no man or woman deserves to be assaulted unless they sexually violated someone. My friend's say I'm crazy for budding in, I say I'm just ballsy enough to save a life. Who knows this could have been the assault to do it. Ain't no Ray Rice over here b!. A MF hit me either we're going to be beating each other's ass cause I'm no punk and I'm going to make u think about not doing it again or I'm beating your ass... but no man will ever get away with assaulting me or any woman/boy/girl/weaker man I spot. I'm from the southside of Chicago🔫 and I know some martial art's👊... somebody will be getting their ass kicked today buddy*flips hair with resting bitch face* my daddy Malcolm X didn't raise a punk lol"BY ANY MEANS NECESSARY"

Most Helpful Guy

• I think he's trying to see how many people would actually do something, because based on a few social experiments, when women are being assaulted both genders are quick to help, but when men are assaulted usually no help is provided and the male is mocked for being unable to stand his ground/submissive as follows here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7M0MW6ON484
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCDJyicVu2k

Are both examples of the double standard being discussed.

What Girls Said 8

• Been there, done that. I tried to get her to leave with me and get away from him, but all she wanted was for him to ' forgive her' for being stupid. I understand the victimology at play, but things like this still frustrate me to no end.

• I would probably have to say or do something.. Like I hope they would do the same for me, were I, God forbid, in the same situation.

• Of course if I were with my husband at the time, I know he wouldn't hesitate for a moment in stepping in.. At 6' 7" and 18+ st. he is at the best of times a formidable sight.

• "Oh! Jennifer! There you are! We've been looking everywhere for you! Come, we're all this way!"

• Seeing as steppin in and swinging would probably get my ass in jail, and I wouldn't know the whole story, I'd probably just knock the shit out of whoevers on top at the time and leave before the cops show up.

• Step in for both gender. I hate when someone oppress the weak one.

• Nope. he could have a weapon. I'd call the cops.

• Yeah I would step in but never if it was a fight between guys

• Nowadays they will probably stand by taking photos

• " FAM I got 23000, views on my YT video of that chick getting smacked"

What Guys Said 16

• I actually don't believe most of the people here who said they would step in. And I also can't say for sure that I would step in.
    I think people here on GaG really looooove to see themselves only in the very best light. Of course it feels good to believe that you'd be some kind of hero. And who wants to be honest that he/she would be scared... of course no one. But people on this site don't seem to know too much about psychology. There's something called "The Bystander-Effect". It means that when you get assaulted in a dark, almost empty ally, you're actually BETTER off than if you get assaulted in the middle of a big. The reason for this is that unconsciously, people tend to distribute responsibility to other strangers. If I walk through an empty ally and I see somebody getting assaulted but there's nobody else I could hope to jump in for me, chances are I will act. If however, I stand on Times Square and I see somebody getting assaulted, my brain will automatically think "errr let's just wait until somebody else jumps in". The problem is that all the other bystanders also think that same thing and so nobody acts. I once was in such a situation where I was a bystander and I did help but later than I should have. People who've never been in that kinda situation have absolutely no idea what it feels like. It's hard to explain. You know you should act. You know you should do something. But you're completely blocked. You're almost like on drugs. This is not something anyone has or should be ashamed of. It's a natural, psychological reaction to an imminent threat. That is why I get annoyed about people pretending to be fearless heroes and whatnot. If you asked people on the street "would you step in if you saw somebody get assaulted", every single person would say "yes, of course!". Just like here on GaG. But once something ACTUALLY happens, all these people become little pussies. That's okay. I don't judge them for being afraid. I'm sure I'd be a pussy to in some situations. But at least I don't lie about it.

So to answer your question: it very much depends on the situation. There are situations where I would perhaps act and others where I probably wouldn't. If I was part of a big crowed of bystanders, the risk of me remaining neutral would certainly be bigger like I explained above.
    But here's the thing: even if you don't help directly, you can still help indirectly. One of the easiest ways to help is to immediately call the police.

• This is a bit off topic, but I find it interesting that the way to beat the bystander effect is to directly tell people things-- delegation. Like let's say you are in the middle of the street after some tramatic medical event.
      Most people would pass by from the bystander effect. However, if you actually tell people that are passing by-- "I need you (addressed specifically) to call an ambulance. (To another person) I need you to help me up." Etc., people are much more likely to give aid then if you generally yell "Help!"

• @dangerDoge Yes, that's true. I also find that very interesting. I'm generally really interested in these kind of ever-day psychology issues :-). Another interesting thing about the bystander-effect is that once somebody "breaks" the psychological wall, suddenly everyone is lifted out of their passiveness. This works best if another person joins the group at a later stage. For example if somebody is being assaulted and a group of people stand around but nobody helps and suddenly, a random pedestrian happens to walk by without yet unconsciously considering himself part of the group and he runs to the victim, the whole group of other bystanders are almost magically lifted out of their passiveness and suddenly everyone wants to help and people literally stumble over each other's feet. I once experienced this myself and it was quite a strange thing (but interesting in retrospective).

• Unless I witnessed her doing something that warranted my indifference, I would step in and restrain the person hitting her. I would not assault him/her like some pathetic white knight but I would restrain him/her as I would anyone, male or female, who was hitting someone else consecutively for what I perceived to be no reason.

I say "warranted my indifference" because, as cruel and f!@#ed up as it sounds, I would look the other way if I felt the person deserved what was happening to them.

• What kind of assault are we talking about, and did she deserve it?

Unless it was a rape, I'd have to know all the facts before jumping in. Of course, if things went too far, I'd stop it regardless.

I think society protects women enough from the consequences of their bad decisions. If she got hit because she deserved it, I'd let it slide, but again, it's about context.

Would I let a man beat up his girlfriend in public? No.
    Would I let a woman get hit if she hit someone else first? Probably, but not if it was her boyfriend. If they're dating then he can leave her for it. If they're strangers and she's just starting shit by hitting them first or acting like a snooty bitch who thinks she's special because she's a girl and can hit men without them hitting her back, then she deserves at least one to learn the right lesson from it.

• no and it has nothing to do with the 'bystander' theory in psychology where people don't get involved due to social pressure or whatever. I just don't want to get my ass kicked.

by the way, if you want to draw a lot of attention to a scene, shout 'fire'. people come to see what's happening if there is a fire. if they think there is a violent offender they will have to deal with, they don't want to be involved.

• Here's the thing. I voted for what I would do, help anyone. The hardest part of stepping in would be knowing that if you swing at whomever is assaulting the victim you get charged. It's messed up. Mark Madden (a big name in Pittsburgh sports) said on air that if he seen a woman being assulted on the street he wouldn't step in.

• Jury trial, boom, you get off.

• That's true I doubt a jury would charge someone for helping. My buddy was actually abused for a long time by his wife. I don't understand how horrible that must be mentality for the people involved. At least she's in jail now.

• I've stepped in before when one of my mates girl friends was getting attacked by other girls. I got hit and had a couple of bruises from the other girls, I never hit anyone just got in toe way and tried to break it up. I would do the same for guys especially if someone is getting beaten up!

• If it's a one-sided fight, step in to save the victim.

If both people r assaulting each other, both are at fault

• Depends on how large the assailant is. If he is 6ft plus, I'm not even going to try to look. Don't want to get my ass beat.
    Otherwise, I would step in.

• Yeah, and I have a few times.

• Call the cops. I'm not getting shot, stabbed or beaten for some random person.

• Keep it pushing and call 911 while I'm on my way to Starbucks sonond else will step in

• Assault is assault. I'd step in for any gender.

• No, it's none of my business

• I'd call 911 first of all

• I don't think I would. I don't know the situation of what happened. For all anyone knows she could deserve that. I don't automatically assume the guy is at fault. She could have done something awful to him.

• Get it for YouTube...