Can you be associated with monotheistic religion and not believe in God?

With a religion such as Christianity, Judaism or Islam can you not believe in God and still belong to that religion even if your non practicing? Also for arguments sake you didn't convert.

Most Helpful Girl

• The whole point of being part of a religion is to serve God and abide by his ways and standards, because you love him and want to please him to the best of your own ability. You live your life according to his ways and not society's or your own. Lots of people believe in God, but don't have any kind of religious belief or faith. I can't see how you can not believe in God but be part of a religious "organisation".

Plus , if you didn't believe in God why would you want to belong to any religion. People would associate you with that particular religion, but to the outside world you wouldn't be living your life according the Gods standards so it would just bring reproach upon on Gods name... as well as the genuine people who are living their life for God

Most Helpful Guy

• Well, since I'm Muslim, I will answer about Islam. The answer is absolutely NO. You can't be a Muslim and not believe in God at the same time, it's just like saying "I'm vegetarian who eats beef everyday" ... The definition of the Arabic word Muslim is "the one who submitts his will to the one and only God who deserves to be worshipped" so clearly by definition you can't be a non-believer in God and still call yourself a member of Islam.

What Girls Said 1

• If you don't believe in God, then technically you are not a Muslim or Christian.

But if you want to keep on going to mosque/church or whatever you can BUT it won't count.

My friend mentioned something like

0 is the deeds
    And 1 is the belief in one God.

So the acts you do/the deeds can be so many (0000000000) but without the number 1 before it, it will have no value.

• So you believe that doing something because you're afraid of some old guy in the clouds has bigger value than doing something because its the human thing to do?

What Guys Said 5

• Technically, you can't. The prerequisite for those religions is a belief in the deity that belongs to those respective religions.
    But, you can be atheist and still pretend to believe in those religions. Meaning, you're officially Christian/Jew/Muslim, but unofficially, you're atheist. That's what I am. Because I don't want to upset my family. :/

• I've known a few pastors who had essentially stopped believing but were still serving as pastors. One was Ryan Bell, with whom I had lunch with during a conference at which he was speaking in 2014. He's a really nice guy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ryan_J._Bell

• Association with a religion is not a personal belief.

Just like if you don't have a personal relationship with God, you're not Christian, muslim, religious, jew nothing.

I see many people who are born into families taking the title of a region. It doesn't work that way

• Why would you want to be part of a religion if you don't believe in it?

• Sure you can

Lots of people are Christians but don't act if

Or you think God is real but don't care thT he is