Have you ever tried to help someone or for them to resent you in the end?

Have you ever done "good" for someone and they turned around and resented you in the process? I'm helping someone get their life together, but because they are so in-denial of their reality, they are looking at me like I am the enemy.
I confided with my Mother about this, and she responded by saying "Welcome to the club".
It's like this person wants to continue falling into their own mess.
Why reach out for help if you're going to be like this?

Q: Have you ever tried to help someone only for them to resent you in the end?

(Correction) of the question

Most Helpful Guy

• oh yes.. uggghhh i hate that soooo much

Most Helpful Girl

• Isn't that basically GaG in a nutshell? You'll be like hey it's not that bad you can get through it and they'll turn around and bite your head off calling you a bitch whore.

As far as irl, it's great and caring to help a friend but you can't sacrifice yourself to do it. If it's stressing you out or putting you in a bad situation it's 110% okay to back away and get out if you need to. At the end of the day YOU are the only one looking out for you.

What Guys Said 11

• Never try and help anyone who doesn't ask for it.

• I stated in the description that they asked for it

• And exactly where might that be? And even if they do ask for it up front, they often need to be forced to ask again and again as the process moves along, and denial reasserts itself.

• Yeah, this kid in my high school weight lifting class at the begging of the year he had no locker with a lock to put his clothes in so I let him use mine. After he found his lock he started acting like a dick to me long story short I finally got fed up and we went full out and fought in the boys locker room and I knocked him out. That's how we would solve our problems in my high school if you had a problem with someone and there was no telling either. I got away with it scott free.

• Yes.. and you should always help because you want too and it makes you feel good. This is why you don't lend friends money.. you just give it to them.

• That is literally the worst advice. You need to watch Judge Judy.

• @BellePepper If you GIVE them the money you won't be on judge judy. My point is do it out of the goodness of your heart or don't do it at all. Don't expect anything in return thats when it all goes south.

• No, you don't just give people things like money out of the goodness of your heart. That's enabling and if you're an enabler you are a bad friend. Users don't stop using people until you say no.

The lesson I was talking about with Judge Judy (that you really seem to need to watch) is that you don't let people use you and you don't let people take advantage of you. It's great to be helpful but you need to practice common sense first.

• Yeah, a girl on here who suffered with depression, I tried to help her but she always just said "there's no point" or "it won't work" it was like she wanted to stay like that... I don't talk to her anymore, too much crazy for me

• Sooner I was trying to help. But people changed. Im doing it only when Im asked to do it. Otherwice they will be blaming you. I have good reactions but those bad reactions are more often. People are strangers to me.

• Yeah, and then they complain how nothing's changed, thah

• My friend Michael T. Had a genius IQ
    didn't study barely passed school after making all 100s in grade school

He had mental issues
    He got help but it costs us our friendship

• yup...

• If I saw there's no cooperation... then why should I keep on helpin'?

• I'm in the middle of that now and pretty close to knocking them out.

• Yeah like block you and make effort not to talk to you in person, like you're not there? Yeah

What Girls Said 3

• I've tried that before, and those certain people have just looked at me like I'm the one with the problem. I leave them/those concerns alone at that point because I can't help them if they don't want to help themselves.

• Oh, definitely. Some people just don't want to hear the truth or be helped - they just might want sympathy and pity from others so they'd feel better about not doing or doing something they normally feel guilty about.

• No not really